PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gasper: Mayo out 6-8wks, possibly less - sprained MCL- grade 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Bruschi would've retired had this happened during the preseason. So, is it really that far fetched to consider Bruschi coming back? They showed him on the jumbotron last night in his street clothes near the end of the game. He looked like he was itching to jump into the game.

Hes got a good gig as an analyst for espn, i doubt hes coming back, but if his named ended in Favre, thats another story haha.

and like he said, everything he wanted to accomplish he did.

lol on Mayo

LOL at your team losing to the Pats even without Mayo. It's really lame to laugh at and/or root for injuries. I'm guessing you'll be banned soon, but if not, have some respect and leave.

LOL at your team losing to the Pats even without Mayo. It's really lame to laugh at and/or root for injuries. I'm guessing you'll be banned soon, but if not, have some respect and leave.

i'm guessing he's a jets fan from long island or staten island. only jets fans would be proud of Vinny Testeverde.

The timetable for this injury does not make sense to me. Polamalu TORE his MCL and is diagnosed to be out 3-6 weeks. Mayo SPRAINED his and is expected to miss 6-8 weeks. When did a sprain become worse than a tear?

I don't believe one word in this thread.

Pure speculation.

i'm guessing he's a jets fan from long island or staten island. only jets fans would be proud of Vinny Testeverde.

I from neither but gotta love vinny, heisman trophy winner, just got stuck with some sucky teams. Had his chance with the 98 jets, put elway put an end to that >.<

First of all, go easy on S.I. ;) Secondly, Vinny was a helluva success in the NFL.

crap.

ok, no mayo, no brewski, no rodney, no vrabes, no richard....gonna be interesting...

It is what it is........ Mayo is day to day.

Re: Mayo out 6-8wks - sprained MCL- grade 3

I think the 6-8 weeks (or less) is actually accurate. The site that you quoted this from was pertaining to rehab times for the AVERAGE person and not an NFL athlete with an entire training staff at his disposal. The link below pertains more to rehab times in athletes and suggests that 5 weeks is the average for a grade III MCL sprain.

Stockton Athletic Training:Common Injuries: MCL Sprain

While it is true an NFL athlete may be in better condition to return from a grade III MCL strain, it's also true that the things that the NFL athlete is doing when he returns from the injury puts a bit more strain on the injury than the average person that jogs a couple times a week.

That refers to an ordinary patient, your everyday Joe who smokes and drinks beer and has a pot belly.

Mayo is an elite athlete who is in top-notch shape and takes very good care of his body.

3-6 weeks, like I said.

EDIT: sorry flyonthewall did not see your post.

And the average joe is not getting thrown to the ground with enough force to shatter through a cement block immediately upon returning from his injury. Or having people dive at his knee right after rehab. Watch what happens in the piles next time there's a fumble and tell me people aren't going to intentionally go low on Mayo to block him.

When they say 6-8 weeks, they probably mean it.

Last edited:
So based on the two sources, Mayo could do anything from play this weekend to miss the next seven games. Well, that clears it up.

Re: Mayo out 6-8wks - sprained MCL- grade 3

Denver is a bad team.

Bad doesn't even describe that Denver team. They looked so pathetic. Cutler isn't great, but Orton? Seriously?

I just checked out what hurt Mayo. Shin to the side of the joint, and it flexed inwards pretty bad. Not Willis McGahee, Rodney Harrison, Carson Palmer, Phillip Rivers or Tom Brady bad, but it did give pretty well.

So, given what we're looking at here it could be ice, rest, elevation, compression wrap and ultrasound to break up the swelling. Or, it could be open that joint up and fuse the ligament back together. Fun, fun fun.

Speaking from experience, a second degree isn't that bad. It hurts the day after, swells up pretty good, weirds the **** out of you when your knee dangles like Bob Dole's....and it keeps you out of practice. Other than that, with normal treatment and rehab, you are back on the field within 14-20 days depending on how well you can cut and if you can deal with the pain. It doesn't hurt anywhere near as bad as ribs, but it is pretty painful.

Last edited:
ok, no mayo, no brewski, no rodney, no vrabes, no richard....gonna be interesting...
i am concerned; but this is an opening for youngsters to step up. maybe redd, paris lenon or junior seau back on squad.. AT can play mike too? we will see.

Last edited:
It sucks, but ultimately it is what it is. An MCL sprain on a 23 year old with 99.9th percentile muscle mass, tendons developed through 10 years of intense strength and explosion training, and the finest physicians in the world working on it really isn't that bad.

Get Mayo back for November after the defense has developed continuity? Hell, it's basically going to be like getting him off of the PUP. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a season jeopardizing injury.

thats all well and good but it's a ligament not a tendon - much harder to heal =- poor blood supply

So based on the two sources, Mayo could do anything from play this weekend to miss the next seven games. Well, that clears it up.

I really wouldn't expect it to be clear, which is probably a good thing. If it were clear cut, it would probably be a serious and season-ending injury. Lesser injuries have a lot of variability in terms of recovery time.

As a physician, I couldn't even make a guess as to how long Mayo will be out without seeing his MRI images and examining him. It sounds like the injury was isolated to his MCL, which is good, and was not a tear, which is also good. A lot depends on individual rate of healing from injury, and also how cautious the Pats are about bringing him back. I wouldn't expect a consensus even among orthopedic surgeons with backgrounds in sports medicine who have access to all the data. Plus, I'm sure BB would rather wait a wekk or two and have a fully healthy Mayo ready for the stretch run than rush him back too early if there is any question whatsoever.

My best guess is that we won't see him for at least a month and probably not until after the bye week, but it's just a guess, and I doubt anyone knows at this time how quickly he will recovery. I think the safest thing is not to count on him too soon.

Ian should do a contest. Whoever guesses the correct number of games Mayo misses gets a Pats koozie or something.

I really wouldn't expect it to be clear, which is probably a good thing. If it were clear cut, it would probably be a serious and season-ending injury. Lesser injuries have a lot of variability in terms of recovery time.

As a physician, I couldn't even make a guess as to how long Mayo will be out without seeing his MRI images and examining him. It sounds like the injury was isolated to his MCL, which is good, and was not a tear, which is also good. A lot depends on individual rate of healing from injury, and also how cautious the Pats are about bringing him back. I wouldn't expect a consensus even among orthopedic surgeons with backgrounds in sports medicine who have access to all the data. Plus, I'm sure BB would rather wait a wekk or two and have a fully healthy Mayo ready for the stretch run than rush him back too early if there is any question whatsoever.

My best guess is that we won't see him for at least a month and probably not until after the bye week, but it's just a guess, and I doubt anyone knows at this time how quickly he will recovery. I think the safest thing is not to count on him too soon.

Thanks for the insight. Curious as to your opinion on what the primary barriers to recovery would be? Secondly, does the recovery time significantly appreciate from say a 2nd degree to a 3rd degree?

Thanks for the post. I have a question. You mentioned the individual rate of healing. The Steelers have said Polamalu's injury is a 3-6 wk thing. Obviously the severity of his injury and Mayo's injury might not be similar, but does the individual rate of healing between to athletes of roughly the same age vary or do most 20 something athletes heal at generally the same rate? In other words, could one of them be a faster healer with the exact same injury and if so, why?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back