PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Thoughts: It wasn't the revenge game we wanted, but the revenge was sweet anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here we go:
  • Get this out of the way first, that punt formation was the dumbest coaching decision I have seen in a long, long time. Say they got the Pats to commit a penalty (which was the point of the formation). It would have been offsetting penalties anyway and they would just replay the down. That play had literally zero chance of succeeding.
  • Kudos to the Pats' special teams for reading the play and lining up in the right way so quickly.
  • The biggest difference between the Pats and Colts (and there are many) is the halftime adjustments. The Pats make them and the Colts don't. Look at most of Belichick's and Pagano's head to head match ups and it is usually close in the first half and the Pats dominate the second half.
  • This game was not nearly as close as the scoreboard showed. The Colts got a gift pick six. The Pats took the foot off the gas on offense to try to run out the clock. They played a really soft prevent on that final drive. The scoreboard doesn't show the blowout that the last four Colts games have been, but I think it as or more one sided as at at least one or two of them.
  • I do have a concern that this is the second time the Pats had a huge lead in the fourth and couldn't ice the game. I will give them a bit of a free pass because the o-line was makeshift on the fly last night.
  • I'm giving the o-line an A for last night. They didn't play like an A effort, but I am giving them a sliding scale with Cannon went down and they shuffled the line. I know the Colts' d-line is not anywhere near as good as the one they will face Sunday, but they did a solid job considering.
  • It is amazing at 38 that Brady is the most mobile in his career. One of the more underrated skills he has had in his career is the ability to step up in the pocket and avoid the rush. But when he was young, it used to be a small shuffle or a step or two. Now Brady is running around like (as Collinsworth pointed out) Aaron Rodgers.
  • I love Collins' ability to jump the line to block the punt, but why do it in this game. That blocked kick really didn't really help the Pats. It would have only really helped the Pats if someone recovered it and returned it for a 2 point conversion.
  • That said, the guy is a freak of nature. It is amazing how much ground the Pats give him to cover on any given play. Because he isn't making as many highlight reel plays that other defenders get, he doesn't get the credit of being the difference making elite player he has become.
  • People are writing off Mayo as being done, but remember Victor Cruz had the same injury around the same time and still hasn't seen the field. Yes, he is a WR, but it shows that this is a type of injury that takes a long time to recover from. That said, either Mayo takes another significant pay cut in the offseason or he is gone.
  • Chandler Jones showed in the second half that he can be a dominant pass rusher. I am guessing that in the first half he was playing more contain and when they showed that Constanzo was beating Jones on every play, a lot of it may have been Jones trying to be in the running lane of Luck. There were a few they showed where Jones clearly got beat, but I am not sure he wanted to get to Luck on all the plays.
  • Amendola's performance last night kinda got lost in the shuffle. The guy got 7 catch and 105 yards and no one is talking about it at (well, I haven't read all the threads this morning). This was the type of performance that we were hoping for when the Pats signed him.
  • I can't believe that the Pats will have yet another receiving weapon when JoJo LaFell comes back this week. You count the TEs and RBs and I don't think Brady has had more viable receiving targets in his career. Even in 2007.
  • I hate to say it. Josh Kline didn't recover that onside kick. The refs gave the Pats one. Once they gave it to the Pats, there was absolutely no way they could give it to the Colts based on the visual evidence.
  • Where did that screen pass with about 5 down field blockers come from and why haven't we seen it more? Yes, most screen passes have a few down field blockers, but last night it looked like a stampede of blockers mowing down defenders on a couple of plays.
  • Last, but certainly not least, congratulations Gronk on your 60th TD. He got his 60th an amazing 41 games faster than the previous record holder (Antonio Gates).
  • BTW, anyone who wants a good laugh, check out the Colts message board for some of their "The Colts really won the game because they outplayed the Pats, but the refs stole it from us" thread.

The blocked PAT was important because it kept the NE lead at 7 points. That way if IND had recovered the ensuing onsides kick they could not win with a PAT -- they'd either have to kick the PAT to force OT or roll the dice on a 2pt conversion.

If they didn't block the PAT then IND could win the game on a PAT.

at least we don't have to listen or read the "waah waah the Patriots ran up the score" whiners

Good post. Couple things:

--The phrase "half-time adjustments" seems dated now, particularly as Belichick noted, they look to adjust right away. Better to just say "adjustments." But you're right, this staff is not surprisingly excellent at it.

--The Pats won decisively. I truly hate these games that people expect 50 point victories, because sports don't work that way.

--Fair point on the Collins play--as Quantum notes, it was to keep it at 7, but considering the slim chance of onside kicks working, I would have preferred keeping that play tucked away. Can you imagine using that against a team about to tie it up in the closing seconds of a game? Maybe next time.

--Amendola is a valuable piece now for sure.

--You may be right about Jones' assignments, but it does seem that his pressure could be more consistent. But obviously judging the guy on a very high standard.

--Yes, the Colts' fan whining about the refs are pathetic. LET'S NOT EVER DO THAT.

Great post, Rob. A couple of thoughts in-line in bold

Here we go:
  • This game was not nearly as close as the scoreboard showed. The Colts got a gift pick six. The Pats took the foot off the gas on offense to try to run out the clock. They played a really soft prevent on that final drive. The scoreboard doesn't show the blowout that the last four Colts games have been, but I think it as or more one sided as at at least one or two of them.
  • I do have a concern that this is the second time the Pats had a huge lead in the fourth and couldn't ice the game. I will give them a bit of a free pass because the o-line was makeshift on the fly last night.
I wonder if the BUF game was in the back of their minds. They tried to drop a big turd on Rex and it almost backfired. Almost did tonight too. With that said you can't bow everyone out. I'm good with this win.
  • I'm giving the o-line an A for last night. They didn't play like an A effort, but I am giving them a sliding scale with Cannon went down and they shuffled the line. I know the Colts' d-line is not anywhere near as good as the one they will face Sunday, but they did a solid job considering.
Agreed. As you say they need to prepare for most likely the best front 4 that they will face all year.

• It is amazing at 38 that Brady is the most mobile in his career. One of the more underrated skills he has had in his career is the ability to step up in the pocket and avoid the rush. But when he was young, it used to be a small shuffle or a step or two. Now Brady is running around like (as Collinsworth pointed out) Aaron Rodgers.
It continues to blow my mind how good he looks out there moving around. That roll-out to Blount was Montana to Craig -esque.

• I love Collins' ability to jump the line to block the punt, but why do it in this game. That blocked kick really didn't really help the Pats. It would have only really helped the Pats if someone recovered it and returned it for a 2 point conversion.
  • That said, the guy is a freak of nature. It is amazing how much ground the Pats give him to cover on any given play. Because he isn't making as many highlight reel plays that other defenders get, he doesn't get the credit of being the difference making elite player he has become.
Collins covers more real estate than Remax. Its getting ridiculous now....

• People are writing off Mayo as being done, but remember Victor Cruz had the same injury around the same time and still hasn't seen the field. Yes, he is a WR, but it shows that this is a type of injury that takes a long time to recover from. That said, either Mayo takes another significant pay cut in the offseason or he is gone.
I am concerned about his play. Because of his contract he/may may not come back regardless even if he does improve. Collins and Hi replace him. A 100% Mayo makes this D better but if he isn't that well...
  • Amendola's performance last night kinda got lost in the shuffle. The guy got 7 catch and 105 yards and no one is talking about it at (well, I haven't read all the threads this morning). This was the type of performance that we were hoping for when the Pats signed him.
  • I can't believe that the Pats will have yet another receiving weapon when JoJo LaFell comes back this week. You count the TEs and RBs and I don't think Brady has had more viable receiving targets in his career. Even in 2007.
2015 TB12, JE, Gronk, Chandler, JoJo, DA, Lewis and Blount > 2007 TB12, WW, Moss, Watson, Stallworth, Gaffney, Faulk and LoMo.

• Where did that screen pass with about 5 down field blockers come from and why haven't we seen it more? Yes, most screen passes have a few down field blockers, but last night it looked like a stampede of blockers mowing down defenders on a couple of plays.
That was a 2001 play if I ever saw it.

When we got the TD to go up by 13 does anyone know why we didn't go for two ? I am NOT a proponent of going for two too early (doing so likely cost the Browns a win yesterday) but this was early in the 4th quarter, the risk of being up by 12 instead of 13 seems to be completely outweighed by the benefit of 14 instead of 13. As that point in the game, 12 was almost as good as 13, it seemed whereas 14 instead of 13 would have been huge.

I forgot to mention the funniest thing about that stupid punt formation call is that even after the game, Pagano had no clue that that it was doomed for failure no matter what happened. He took responsibility for the play because he said that he didn't communicate it well enough that they only should have snapped the ball if there was 12 men on the defense or the defender goes offsides. He seemed clueless that even if they did, it would have been offsetting penalties and they would just replay the down. The Patriots committing a penalty would not change the fact that the Colts lined up in an illegal formation.

Dead Man Walking.

When we got the TD to go up by 13 does anyone know why we didn't go for two ? I am NOT a proponent of going for two too early (doing so likely cost the Browns a win yesterday) but this was early in the 4th quarter, the risk of being up by 12 instead of 13 seems to be completely outweighed by the benefit of 14 instead of 13. As that point in the game, 12 was almost as good as 13, it seemed whereas 14 instead of 13 would have been huge.

Agreed. That made no sense to me. For 12 to matter, it would have taken either three possessions or a missed XP. Despite Collins' remarkable play, neither seem as likely as converting a 2pter.

Good post!

Another point to be thankful for.....the Patriots just won back-to-back road games against 2014 division champs! ;)

One more thought I forgot. For all the crap he has gotten for the first two seasons, Logan Ryan is starting to develop into a pretty good CB. He ain't Revis for sure. But he has strung together back to back solid games. Last night was even more impressive than last week considering the receivers he was drawing. He was always in position and broke up would have been some big plays.

You can make the argument both ways. I personally would go for 2. Someone made a good point in the GTD though that if you are up 13, theb the other team scores a TD cutting the lead to 6, you can ice the game with a FG as that puts you up 9. If you dont convert the 2 point attempt and are only up 12 in that situation, they can still reach you in 2 scores even if you get another FG. Interesting take, but I would feel safer going for 2 when up 12.

Do you think that the Colts will raise the "We led the Patriots at Halftime" banner before the next game or wait until the end of the season?

One more thought I forgot. For all the crap he has gotten for the first two seasons, Logan Ryan is starting to develop into a pretty good CB. He ain't Revis for sure. But he has strung together back to back solid games. Last night was even more impressive than last week considering the receivers he was drawing. He was always in position and broke up would have been some big plays.

I hope Butler/Ryan can be this year's Asante/Randall Gay of 2004. We have the front 7 to make it happen and the stud safety, like we did in 2004. We're also deeper at safety than we were that year. I would also say that Butler this year is probably ahead of where Asante was in 2004.

I was surprised by the amount of zone coverage we played. Bill respected their wrs a lil too much. Andre Johnson looks doned.

I have to agree Slowgan Ryan looked much better last 2 weeks. Although he was covering Andre Johnson who cannot get seperation against anyone, man he fell off quick.

Couple things

1. We are five games in, have played three almost sure fire playoff teams, and we have had two touchdown leads on everyone until the last drive of the game. For a team that has left a lot of points on the board, that should give everyone the warm fuzzies.

2. Colts seemingly got our B plan, using Lewis and gronk only when necessary in the second half, and straight runs until the second half as well. Almost felt like they know they will be playing these guys again, and played a decidedly vanilla style until the pick6 changed the gameplan.

3. Chandler jones had probably his best half of football. The three sacks are obviously very strong indicators, but he was killing the pocket, and caused at least two pivotal holding calls that changed drives. Just when I want to think he's average/ replaceable, he burns the world down.

4. Everyone says it was a finger issue, I would bet dollars to donuts it was the headshot on the touchdown that effected Edelman.

5. Put Hightower in the middle, frank gores rushing totals cut in half. You can't put a price on that guy until an avg to above average rusher comes in. Next week against ivory will be a big test if he isn't in the game.

6. Butler is going to lead the league in missed interceptions. His timing and instincts are all world, even as his form catches up.

7. Mccourty being average again makes you wonder how much of that is him trying to cover up for a very young secondary. You can't really know with all the moving parts

7. Mccourty being average again makes you wonder how much of that is him trying to cover up for a very young secondary. You can't really know with all the moving parts

We completely disagree with this one. McCourty has been outstanding.

Meh. I didn't think it was that sweet. We looked sloppy at times and the injuries suck. I sort of felt like Brady after the game. Luckily a win is a win is a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST