PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Thoughts - High school flashbacks, homecoming queens left disappointed edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here we go:
  • I know it is frustrating for these slow starts, but this one is not unexpected. The Pats had back to back big night games and playing the game on the road. The Pats were ripe for a let down. Also, the Texans all year have had good first halves where they lead at halftime (most notably the 20-3 halftime lead on Seattle and 21-3 lead on Indy) only to lose the game.
  • If they need a replacement for the Hulk in the next Avengers movie, they should go with Gronk. The guy is not a mismatch for any one defender, he is a mismatch for any three defenders at once. It will be important for him to be healthy in the playoffs because he draws double and triple coverage away from other receivers.
  • I am disappointed Ridley was inactive. I know the Pats wanted to send the guy a message, but the guy is one of the most talented RBs in the league (at least one the ground). The Pats will need him in the playoffs.
  • That said, one of the Patriots' fans' favorite lightning rods. LeGarrette Blount, continues to show he has been a welcomed addition to this team no matter what his detractors say. He has decent burst when he needs it and is hard to bring down.
  • I am surprised Siliga played as much as he did. I know he is a big bodied NT that the Pats miss, but the guy was on the practice squad earlier this week. I figured they would ease him in.
  • The Pats need to get the secondary healthy quickly. They really are struggling in zone coverage right now and they don't have enough healthy bodies to play man. Luckily they will face Cleveland next week which will help them while they are getting healthy.
  • As bad as the Pats played today in the first half, I don't see anyone in the AFC that I look at and say the Pats are clearly an underdog. The Broncos look like crap on defense. The Colts barely beat Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Titans at home. All the teams fighting for the last Wild Card spot all have major issues. Let the Pats get a little more healthy, and they have as good a shot as anyone to win the AFC.

Re: Game Thoughts - High school flashbacks, the homecoming queens left disappointed e

It was a football game...our team won it..our team is now 9-3. It's been a good day.

Re: Game Thoughts - High school flashbacks, the homecoming queens left disappointed e

It's only there in flashes at the moment, but there are times that I get really excited by what Jamie Collins can do on this team. Particularly when he's hunting QBs. He burst through the line on that A gap blitz like Jim Brown.

I forgot to give kudos to Brady from yet another impressive performance. Not bad for a QB who has lost it due to age. Although Manning will win MVP baring a complete collapse down the stretch, Brady may actually deserve it more.

It's only there in flashes at the moment, but there are times that I get really excited by what Jamie Collins can do on this team. Particularly when he's hunting QBs. He burst through the line on that A gap blitz like Jim Brown.

Yeah, Collins still has some maturing to go, but we are starting to see why Belichick liked the guy so much. He needs to get more consistent, but he is starting to flash very well.

• I am disappointed Ridley was inactive. I know the Pats wanted to send the guy a message, but the guy is one of the most talented RBs in the league (at least one the ground). The Pats will need him in the playoffs.

For the same reasoning it was nice to see Devlin get some touches ... we will/may need him.

For the same reasoning it was nice to see Devlin get some touches ... we will/may need him.

His TD was one of my favourite plays of the year.

Gotta love the never quit attitude of the guy.

If he becomes our present day Mosi that will be very nice.

Re: Re: Game Thoughts - High school flashbacks, the homecoming queens left disappoint

His TD was one of my favourite plays of the year.

Think I was grabbing a beer when my wife started yelling at me to get in the living room before I missed the replay. She kept reiterating "forget gronk, who is this guy?!" It was an impressive run, excellent example of not quitting.

That said, if they were as quick with the whistle on that play as the red zone (non)strip on Tate, we would have been stopped 2 yards short.

Why were the refs even on the field today? Plenty of non calls both ways. The no rule book style of officiating is embarrassing though.

Debby Downer checking in. That last running TD Collins forgot Rule #1, SET THE EDGE!, and let the guy walk in. Can't be clueless in Houston trapped in the middle with you when RBs fly around the end.

I forgot to give kudos to Brady from yet another impressive performance. Not bad for a QB who has lost it due to age. Although Manning will win MVP baring a complete collapse down the stretch, Brady may actually deserve it more.

Foles deserves it most.

Debby Downer checking in. That last running TD Collins forgot Rule #1, SET THE EDGE!, and let the guy walk in. Can't be clueless in Houston trapped in the middle with you when RBs fly around the end.

Collins wasn't the only one who blew at run D today.

Major problem with run D is obvious
(1) Wilfork/Kelly level BIG body missing that can fight off one OL and engage another, keeping the OL off the LBs. Our LBs are getting engaged by Guards and dance standing up while the RB scoots by
(2) Our LB corps lacks Mayo's savvy AND his ability to shed blocks. Hightower especially looks lost and dances with his partner, missing the action
(3) Mental & experience errors like Collins having a nice visit inside with a Guard while the RB unmolested goes around end. Gotta set that edge.

and Brady hitting him for a nice gain. Been a bit.

Major problem with run D is obvious
(1) Wilfork/Kelly level BIG body missing that can fight off one OL and engage another, keeping the OL off the LBs. Our LBs are getting engaged by Guards and dance standing up while the RB scoots by
(2) Our LB corps lacks Mayo's savvy AND his ability to shed blocks. Hightower especially looks lost and dances with his partner, missing the action
(3) Mental & experience errors like Collins having a nice visit inside with a Guard while the RB unmolested goes around end. Gotta set that edge.

I think all of your reasons are spot on. I'd also add Ken's thought that Brandon Spikes often "guesses" which gap to shoot and loses.

While he obviously brings the most physical run defending presence on the whole team, he tends to make this same mistake a lot in my opinion. He's a good run stuffer, but he can play sloppily at times too.

One last thought is that as a whole, I think our poor tackling has reared its ugly head one too many times this season. That needs to be corrected immediately.

Re: Game Thoughts - High school flashbacks, the homecoming queens left disappoint

Think I was grabbing a beer when my wife started yelling at me to get in the living room before I missed the replay.

I hate that commercial..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference