PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent DT Kevin Williams??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what I was saying.

It does concern me that he's mulling retirement though, which could mean he wants a bit more $$$ than I initially thought.

I think at this point it's about playing for a contender than anything else. His last shot at a ring.

It also helps that Daly works for us now.

I'm 100% in favor of signing Williams provided the money is right for both parties. Given the question marks at DT (Wilfork - achilles/ Kelly - knee/ Armstead - it's always something/ Easley - knees), Williams may prove to be an astute insurance policy.

It also helps that Daly works for us now.

Yea. Coached him for almost half his career. 3 years as the Asst D-Line coach and 2 as the D-Line coach.

Definitely wouldn't hurt to at least bring him in camp and see what he's got left in the tank.

He could come in and compete with Tommy Kelly. I would not keep both of them though, we need to think about the future as well as 2014.

I'm 100% in favor of signing Williams provided the money is right for both parties. Given the question marks at DT (Wilfork - achilles/ Kelly - knee/ Armstead - it's always something/ Easley - knees), Williams may prove to be an astute insurance policy.

With four DL's that most of us have making the team coming back from injuries, I can't see how insurance can hurt, even if it costs a bit, which it likely won't. I would sign even I thought it unlikely that he would make the team. It can't hurt to have insurance. And it can't hurt to have competition for Armstead, Chris Jones and Siliga (in addition to Vellano and Forston).

It would be a smart move for the Pats to consider. It will take time to see how well Kelly/Wilfork recover from the surgery, Armsteads value is unknown with heart an infection problems and Easley will take time to be 100%. Williams is a very durable player who has played in at least 14 games every season and it could help the injured DL to fully recover.

Last edited:
I'm all for this, he's been a great player and if they can get a good season out of him in a role position it only helps the cause. I can see them going with Wilfork, Kelly, Chandler Jones, Ninkovich, Easely, Chris Jones, Siliga, Buchanon, Williams and Will Smith as their DL

Signing Anderson for the vet minimum dispensation only reduced the $7,297,000 CAP available by about $160,000. So there is still over $7,138,000 in the available CAP for a TE acquisition (Keller?) and others such as Kevin Williams or Terrel Thomas

Signing Anderson for the vet minimum dispensation only reduced the $7,297,000 CAP available by about $160,000. So there is still over $7,138,000 in the available CAP for a TE acquisition (Keller?) and others such as Kevin Williams or Terrel Thomas

We have plenty of cap money to sign Williams, Keller, Thomas and perhaps others. We do need to keep a reserve in case player are put on IR or PUP and still count against the cap. WE also need to save money to pay the Practice Squad, and Player 52 and 53 (who don't currently count against the cap). However, $3M-$4M should be plenty for those needs.

I would note that we don't lose unused cap money. It rolls over to next year when we need to deal with extensions/new contracts for Revis, McCourty and perhaps Solder.

Agreed. And, at the very least, it's competition for the remaining DT spots in TC if everything breaks right (no pun intended) with the afformentioned players.

Even with drafting Easley, I still think DT is probably one of the biggest concerns on defense. I think Williams still has stud potential if he keeps his snap count manageable. Last year, he was a stud at times, but I think he probably played too many snaps for the Vikes.

This is a must sign, every time we talk about our DL the words if healthy, when healthy, comes together, we can't rely on this If, let's be honest there's a high chance someone will go down. I don't think Armstead will ever play a snap for us. Vince Wilfork is a big question mark, it would be optimistic to expect him playing at 80% of his level out there and with the direction this defense is moving, I'm not sure I want him even 100% healed.

Last edited:
Sign the aging beast! He can still be effective with limited interior reps against the run. Solid insurance policy imo.

Fans should anticipate potential problems. How stout against he run would a Wilfork,Kelly backed by a Hightower and a McCourty, Ryan interior Defense be? My Prediction: It would probably be pretty tough to run against, and fairly good against the pass too.

How stout against the run would an Easly, Chris Jones, backed by Collins and a MCourty, Ryan interior Defense be? My Prediction: I'd be licking my chops as the opposition's RB Coach.

How stout against the run would a Wilfork Siliga backed by Hightower, and a Wilson, Chung interior Defense be? My Prediction Very tough to run against.I'd audible to a pass instead.

What this exscercize indicates, unlike historical BB Defenses, this team might have problems against the run with undersized DL linemen, LBs, and smaller Safeties.

What this exscercize indicates, unlike historical BB Defenses, this team might have problems against the run with undersized DL linemen, LBs, and smaller Safeties.
Their safeties this year are the same size they have been the past 2 years.

Their safeties this year are the same size they have been the past 2 years.

I tried to demonstrate that it is not just the size of the Safeties.

This is a must sign, every time we talk about our DL the words if healthy, when healthy, comes together, we can't rely on this If, let's be honest there's a high chance someone will go down. I don't think Armstead will ever play a snap for us. Vince Wilfork is a big question mark, it would be optimistic to expect him playing at 80% of his level out there and with the direction this defense is moving, I'm not sure I want him even 100% healed.

This x1000.

If healthy, the DT position is probably even stronger than the CB position, however, as it stands, DT is the biggest question mark on the entire roster.

Sign him if the money's reasonable

The moneypot CAP is not infinite. There may be enough to sign both Williams and Keller/Finely, or more probably there may be only enough for one of them.

If that is the case, Who do you decide is more important? Who do you sign, and why? Or do you save your money and wait for another alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents