PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Franchise/Transition Tag

There is no way the Pats will tag Thuney again. To tag a player a second time there is an automatic increase of 20% 17+ million for a guard is crazy money.

Can you tag him , pay a signing bonus that does not get carried to new team and trade him for say a second rounder to a team which has a need but not the financial resources.

Again , I am a complete novice in this. So say we eat 4 million of his cap for 2021 and trade him for 2nd rounder to someone for 13 million.
The Texans did this with Clowney a couple years ago, but they got such terrible value in return that it’s not exactly something I’d be trying to replicate.

Can you tag him , pay a signing bonus that does not get carried to new team and trade him for say a second rounder to a team which has a need but not the financial resources.

Again , I am a complete novice in this. So say we eat 4 million of his cap for 2021 and trade him for 2nd rounder to someone for 13 million.
Presently, the Pats control Thuneys rights. Once the new league year begins Thuney is free to walk unless NE tags him or signs him. The Pats can tag, but if Thuney does not sign he is in limbo and cant play in 2021 like Levon Bell didnt play for the Steelers the 2nd time he was tagged.

But, Bell was different because there was bad blood there. Thuney is not signing because I am assuming that he would play ball and allow the Pats get a draft pick in exchange for a trade location of Thuneys choice.

Time to let thuney walk and take the 3rd round comp pick.

we need to sign Andrews.

It's going to be a shame one of Bill's rare draft pick hits since 2013 will be walking in Thuney.

I could see JC Jackson playing hardball. But if Bill trades him.....

wkVg-Al9BEEfNuSbcC7pX85KqwT5RFMUa0vWq6V-8f17ydLT6rVk173-wgw3CKVNGTjUjcNDOjCb

I would tag Jackson with a second round pick if he is going to be a difficult sign.

Presently, the Pats control Thuneys rights. Once the new league year begins Thuney is free to walk unless NE tags him or signs him. The Pats can tag, but if Thuney does not sign he is in limbo and cant play in 2021 like Levon Bell didnt play for the Steelers the 2nd time he was tagged.

But, Bell was different because there was bad blood there. Thuney is not signing because I am assuming that he would play ball and allow the Pats get a draft pick in exchange for a trade location of Thuneys choice.
???
If Thuney is tagged, he'll sign within 24 hours, and then not have any need to talk to the patriots until camp. Are you saying that Thuney wants to choose his team so much that he is willing to secure a pick for the patriots?

Last edited:
I think that if the Pats and Thuney can’t come to an agreement, they will let him walk. I think the tag last year was to try and come to a long term deal, but also to push his comp pick off another year, as the Pats had so many UFAs last year that they were at the 4 comp pick limit.

Thuney should get a big contract most likely a third rd comp pick, 4th at a minimum.

Time to let thuney walk and take the 3rd round comp pick.

we need to sign Andrews.
That’s not the way comp picks work. You only get comp picks when the players that leave the team are better (at least money wise) then the ones you sign. For example Brown a couple years ago reset the tackle market with the Raiders, the pats signed.... no one even close to that much money, same thing with Solder actually, so they got 3rd round picks. Last year Brady signed with Tampa for 25 million. What outside FA did the pats sign for 25 mil? None so they get a 3rd round pick. They are going to get nothing for Thuney because this year, unlike every other year for the past decade, the Patriots are buyers not sellers. With 60+ million in cap money all it takes is one large FA signing to offset Thuney like Henry for example or Godwin.

That’s not the way comp picks work. You only get comp picks when the players that leave the team are better (at least money wise) then the ones you sign. For example Brown a couple years ago reset the tackle market with the Raiders, the pats signed.... no one even close to that much money, same thing with Solder actually, so they got 3rd round picks. Last year Brady signed with Tampa for 25 million. What outside FA did the pats sign for 25 mil? None so they get a 3rd round pick. They are going to get nothing for Thuney because this year, unlike every other year for the past decade, the Patriots are buyers not sellers. With 60+ million in cap money all it takes is one large FA signing to offset Thuney like Henry for example or Godwin.

yeah! I really don’t see bb breaking the bank for anybody this offseason. We can probably bank that 3rd rounder now.

I hope not to have comp picks in 2022. We should be signing more than we lose.

???
If Thuney is tagged, he'll sign within 24 hours, and then not have any need to talk to the patriots until camp. Are you saying that Thuney wants to chose his team so much that he is willing to secure a pick for the patriots?
How many are willing to pay an OL $17M for one year?

Youre right. Thuney is more marketable without the Tag. The Tag isnt the answer. Yeah, its 17 million for 1 year, but what if Thuney blows out a knee? Couldnt Thuney get more than 17 million in signing bonus? Yes. So, why sign the non team friendly Tag?

Andrus Peat got 23 million guaranteed
Andrew Norwell got 30 million guaranteed

The Pats are supposedly going to be uncharacteristically aggressive in Free Agency this season.

If Thuney walks, NE may get nothing in return for one of the best Guards in he league.

The Pats are supposedly going to be uncharacteristically aggressive in Free Agency this season.

If Thuney walks, NE may get nothing in return for one of the best Guards in he league.
Why should a team get anything for a player not under contract?

if we put a second round tender on him, easy to gage interest from around the league.
How does this work. We give him a 2nd round tender, and Jackson goes out and finds the best deal he can. The patriots then match or lose him. Of course, the pats COULD tend him for $1.3M more and no one will offer a first.

Of course, perhaps you just don't think Jackson is worth $5M for his 2021 services.

How does this work. We give him a 2nd round tender, and Jackson goes out and finds the best deal he can. The patriots then match or lose him. Of course, the pats COULD tend him for $1.3M more and no one will offer a first.

Of course, perhaps you just don't think Jackson is worth $5M for his 2021 services.

i think we need to keep our options open.

i think we need to keep our options open.
OK. The team can keep its option open until March 9th. By then, they need to file their tenders. I would like to see a long-term deal signed. For me, the best alternative if one is not signed is a 1st round tender.

Thuney is outta here. No way Bill pays him market value to keep him.

He won't be the only one leaving either. We'll see a bunch of FA walk. Maybe we'll end up with 1 comp pick when it's all said and done. Hardly a consolation.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back