PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Raider Rolando McClain nearing deal with Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we've seen here, losing the core leaders on your defense in a relatively short period of time is a very difficult thing to rebuild from right away. Just the loss of Lewis and Reed means the voices on the field will be different, and the new talent will now have to mesh under new leadership.

When we lost Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel, and Seymour over the course a few years, it set us back to where we're still trying to regain defense as a strength, and the Ravens approach thus far hasn't been any different than ours was. Maybe they'll pull it off, but it's not as simple as just putting some decent bodies in there.

The Pats have more run stuffing LBs than they know what do to do with. McClain was not needed on this team.

Hightower did a lot more than you stated. He was also a rookie in a complex defense. He was just fine last year for a rookie.

I'd rather have a young guy with potential added for cheap , it's fine if you disagree.

Hightower showed flashes he was fine, but underwhelming given his draft hype and DROY potential. Hope he makes big improvements year 2.

I'd rather have a young guy with potential added for cheap , it's fine if you disagree.

Hightower shower flashes he was fine, but underwhelming given his draft hype and DROY potential. Hope he makes big improvements year 2.

If McClain hits this year, do you think he will be cheap next year? He will be 24 and demanding a huge contract. If he is what he has been for most of his career, the Pats already have a young guy in Spikes who is about the same guy.

As for Hightower, he was one of the top defensive rookies in this past year's class. I wouldn't say top 5, but probably top 10. He is just fine.

Seriously, if the Jets drafted him and he had the same production, you would be biatching that the Pats should have drafted Hightower over whoever they got. Hightower had a fine rookie season.

Seriously, you really aren't a Pats' fan are you?

I didn't want the Pats to sign McClain. Classic underachieving head case who is a liability on passing downs.

But I am not busting on the Ravens for taking a bunch of low risk, high reward guys. I am stating that I don't think they are clearly huge wins. Like the Pats most of these guys are boom or bust type of players. They could turn into Andre Carter type of signing or Haynesworth.

I look at a guy like Tommy Kelly and say he was a good signing in that he is a low risk and if he reverts to his 2011 form he was an out of the ball park hit. I am not saying the Pats now have a fearsome front four with him pairing up in between Wilfork and Jones.

Again, I don't hate any of the moves that Newsome made. I just am not impressed with these players in that I think the Ravens are as good or better on defense right now.

BTW, McClain, Huff, and Spears are usually guys the Pats stay away from. They rarely go after the underachieving players (although they have with guys like Haynesworth).

Randy Moss and Albert Haynesworth were underachievers they went after. Some work out some don't. All of his moves he got younger and cheaper players or a flat out better player like Dumervil vs Kruger. Newsome clearly knows what he's doing and has a plan he sticks to just like Bill. The thing that makes Newsome and Demitroff so good is they studied under Bill but they don't try to be Bill. I think Pioli made that mistake.

If McClain hits this year, do you think he will be cheap next year? He will be 24 and demanding a huge contract. If he is what he has been for most of his career, the Pats already have a young guy in Spikes who is about the same guy.

As for Hightower, he was one of the top defensive rookies in this past year's class. I wouldn't say top 5, but probably top 10. He is just fine.

Seriously, if the Jets drafted him and he had the same production, you would be biatching that the Pats should have drafted Hightower over whoever they got. Hightower had a fine rookie season.

I exepect Hightower to take that next step and become a playmaker. I think this is Spike's last year in NE. He'll take the money and go some place a little less restrictive on how players are allowed to act.

But on the flip side your happy when we get older players for short terms deals so which is it ? Now we shouldn't sign guys for 1 year because they may be expensive the next year (which means they tore it up for us)? Where's the pitch fork for the Sanders, Talib, and Edelman moves? What a crap and hypocritical outlook on 1 year deals.

Seriously you know what I would be saying if he was on the Jets ? I said Hightower was underwhelming given expectations by many of us here and many people also feel like he was underwhelming.

You clearly are getting angry now that I'm not bending to your rose-colored view of everything. All signings by other teams bad, all signings by Patriots good. Your use of the old "he disagrees he must be a Jets fan" really tops off your cry baby post. Sorry that I thought Hightower was fine, but underwhelming with potential. I think that's fair.

Just a feeling I'm getting. I think the Ravens as a whole will be better on defense this year, definitely faster. They lost Kruger, Lewis, Reed, Ellerbe, Pollard, Williams gained Spears, Dumervil, Huff and McClain with a dozen draft picks still to come.

Yup and the Pats will struggle to score 20 points should the two meet in the playoffs....

Hightower shower flashes he was fine, but underwhelming given his draft hype and DROY potential. Hope he makes big improvements year 2.

dafuq-snape-i7-300x172.jpg

How do you know what Hightower does in the shower? :D

dafuq-snape-i7-300x172.jpg

How do you know what Hightower does in the shower? :D

Lmao, the horrors of going on the board on my phone during class :D

Time to edit, so ahem I do not know what you are talking about.

Sorry but if Bill let the overpriced FAs walk and signed younger players that were as good or better everybody would be calling it brilliant and great value.

Just going to hazard a guess here, but I suspect the reason people aren't calling it brilliant and great value is they're not convinced Newsome's replacements are as good or better than the guys they let go.

Just going to hazard a guess here, but I suspect the reason people aren't calling it brilliant and great value is they're not convinced Newsome's replacements are as good or better than the guys they let go.

They're not. There are some solid moves (Dumervil and Canty) and there are some borderline head scratching moves (Huff in a draft that's loaded with quality safety prospects). But, in all, the moves aren't bad for a team that's flush with draft picks. The Ravens shouldn't have an issue re-loading and should still be a threat in the AFC (though I think we walk all over them with a healthy Gronk).

Not saying they are bad moves on defense. Just not as impressed as others. People are acting like with the additions the Ravens made, the Ravens' defense is DEFINITELY better than last year. I just don't see it.

Obviously nothing is definite, especially considering the leadership loss. But I am fairly certain our defense will have better talent this year than last. It is Newsome's primary goal considering how far the defense dropped off last year compared to normal.

There weren't much better moves the Ravens could have made this offseason, but acting like Newsome has been a genius this offseason is way too premature. Yes, McClain is a low risk, high reward type of move, but he really hasn't shown that he is consistent or particularly good for most of his career thus far. Huff is decent, but a downgrade from Reed who I wasn't all that in love with. Canty and Spears are older veterans who the Ravens are hoping they can get one or possibly two good years out of after down years (much like the Pats are doing with Kelly).

I don't think Newsome has been a genius at all. Mainly because the FA market has been down, and some fairly cheap veterans fell into our lap at some positions of need. But he did avoid paying up for Kruger and Ellerbe; other GMs would have spent all their money to keep one of those guys, imo, though not Belchick of course (Pats and Ravens are similar in their ability to let overpriced but good players walk).

McClain, had 1 good year. Last year he basically quit on his team, and it showed. That is a character flaw (major), but I can write down some of last year's performance. The Raiders are a basket case. And McClain right now is as old as Spikes was after his rookie year. Plenty of guys haven't seen the field by 23, so clueless, uninspired, inconsistent performances with some rare flashes is not a big deal to me with a 23 year old. If he cannot turn his life around and get serious then nothing really lost.

Ray Lewis was slow and could not cover anymore. He also seemed weak and got ridden for 5 yards every tackle. Leadership loss, but not physical talent loss.

Dumervil is an upgrade to Kruger. They are similar, but Dumervil is more consistent and established and hungry (now).

As for Huff, I really think you are overrating Reed at this point. As a guy who watched every single play of the 2012 Ravens, I can assure you, it was like having 10 guys out there on running plays, and a handful of TDs were caused by a CB playing his assignment under the assumption he had help (from Reed) only to have Ed gamble for an INT and lose. I wouldn't say Ed was horrible, because his knowledge and experience is still great, but his physical condition and risk-taking have deteriorated.

I think Canty is a notch above Spears. And since they are effectively replacing a literally worthless Cody or old and worthless Kemoeatu (with Ngata moving to NT from DE and Canty taking DE) that is an upgrade no matter how one slices it. Spears is depth we didn't have last year. Art Jones came on and McPhee, who was injured a ton, was a force when he played. The DL absolutely will be better; that I can say definitively.

I do agree that the Ravens' concerns are on offense. I hate their WR situation. I think Torrey Smith is one of the more overrated players in the NFL. He show flashes of elite talent, but most of the time he is average to even below average. And the Ravens somehow got their o-line to work in the playoffs, but I don't know if they can re-create that magic this year.

Not just WR, and I agree with your assessment there (though Smith can and should improve somewhat with Cam Cameron gone). But OL as well. Right now I don't even know (neither do the Ravens) who is going to start and where. We could have as few as 1 player from the SB team starting in the position they played in that game (Yanda). Oher at LT is bad news and a possibility, Osemele at RT vs LG is also bad news and possible. Who knows who would play LG in that case. Untested Gradkowski replacing Birk is also a massive question mark.

And as I have said before, Flacco can actually be pretty good when he gets time (better than people give him credit for), but when rushed heavily and often, he is simply terrible. And I mean terrible. Some of that could have been Cam Cameron and his embarrassing schemes, but the deer-in-headlights look on Flacco's face when rushed indicates a ton of it is on him.

Yeah, that's just ridiculous. McClain instead of Hightower...heh.

They're not. There are some solid moves (Dumervil and Canty) and there are some borderline head scratching moves (Huff in a draft that's loaded with quality safety prospects). But, in all, the moves aren't bad for a team that's flush with draft picks. The Ravens shouldn't have an issue re-loading and should still be a threat in the AFC (though I think we walk all over them with a healthy Gronk).

I'd agree with this. I think they've done pretty well considering the circumstances, which is a credit to their solid FO.

I do agree with Ngata that their situation on offense might be flying under the radar (i.e. is worrisome).

Yeah, that's just ridiculous. McClain instead of Hightower...heh.

Read the post, not what I said. I said I wouldn't mind adding him to the backers we already have for league minimum and that he's better in coverage than Spikes and that Hightower isn't all too great in coverage himself.

Next you'll be saying I want McClain over Mayo to push your agenda. :rolleyes:

Read the post, not what I said. I said I wouldn't mind adding him to the backers we already have for league minimum and that he's better in coverage than Spikes and that Hightower isn't all too great in coverage himself.

Next you'll be saying I want McClain over Mayo to push your agenda. :rolleyes:

My bad. But in fairness, you may want to express your thoughts a bit more clearly.

As for an agenda, 'fraid I haven't one. Sorry to disappoint you.

My bad. But in fairness, you may want to express your thoughts a bit more clearly.

As for an agenda, 'fraid I haven't one. Sorry to disappoint you.

The thought was expressed clearly you just didn't read the post. Or you lack a strong command of the English language.

Why would they have to be, and who expected they would be? I didn't see lots of people talking about how easy it would be for the Ravens to upgrade over players like Lewis and Reed.

It would have been great to see Newsome tell Flacco to go pound sand but, absent that, staunching the bleeding was about the best the Ravens could have expected in this FA period. They seem to have tried doing that. Time will tell us whether or not they were successful.

The thought was expressed clearly you just didn't read the post. Or you lack a strong command of the English language.

No, it really wasn't. Though I can readily admit to only skimming through your posts. It is a little rich that you, of all people, are accusing others of lacking command of the English language.

Why would they have to be, and who expected they would be? I didn't see lots of people talking about how easy it would be for the Ravens to upgrade over players like Lewis and Reed.

It would have been great to see Newsome tell Flacco to go pound sand but, absent that, staunching the bleeding was about the best the Ravens could have expected in this FA period. They seem to have tried doing that. Time will tell us whether or not they were successful.

You're probably right that there's little chance they'd be at or above where they were last year through FA alone. My only point is that some of their moves are receiving more acclaim than is warranted. Of course, you could say the same thing about guys like Kelly and Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft