PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Raider Rolando McClain nearing deal with Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these changes on the Superbowl Champion Ravens should ensure a new and hungry crop of players. The AFC North should be interesting viewing if the Browns legitimately improve.

Here are some stats to back your point up I suppose? (each played 3 yrs)

SPIKES MCCLAIN

Sacks 1 / 6.5

Tackles 126 / 175

Games 35 / 41

PD 12 / 17

McClain's main problem has been his off field issues, but he's far outproduced Brandon Spikes on the field.

He has shown much better pass coverage, been more durable, rushed the passer much better, and has many more tackles.

That said, I'd probably still take Spikes due to the off field concerns, but let's be fair.

First, McClain has played 41 games. Spikes has played 35 games. Not a fair comparison because McClain has played a third of a season more.

Second, McClain had one good season. In 2011, he had 99 tackles, 5 sacks, and 14 PDs. You take away that year and McClain's production has been awful. I may have undersold his one good year, but you can't undersell how bad his other two years are.

Third, Spikes is far more consistent on the field. He also plays in a defense where you don't get a lot of personal glory with stats.

If the Ravens get the McClain of 2011 (where his stats were overrated since the Raiders offense was so bad), they might get a good pick up. If they get the McClain of 2010 or 2012, they might as well put Ray Lewis in a wheel chair and throw him in the middle of the defense. His off the field issues were a major factor to his release, but his poor on the field production was the death nail.

First, McClain has played 41 games. Spikes has played 35 games. Not a fair comparison because McClain has played a third of a season more.

Second, McClain had one good season. In 2011, he had 99 tackles, 5 sacks, and 14 PDs. You take away that year and McClain's production has been awful. I may have undersold his one good year, but you can't undersell how bad his other two years are.

Third, Spikes is far more consistent on the field. He also plays in a defense where you don't get a lot of personal glory with stats.

If the Ravens get the McClain of 2011 (where his stats were overrated since the Raiders offense was so bad), they might get a good pick up. If they get the McClain of 2010 or 2012, they might as well put Ray Lewis in a wheel chair and throw him in the middle of the defense. His off the field issues were a major factor to his release, but his poor on the field production was the death nail.

Comparing their 3 yr careers is pretty fair in my opinion. It was only last summer that many here were not too impressed with the first 2 yrs of Spikes' career either, and he really only took off last season as far as being consistent.

Like I said, I'd much rather have Spikes for the right price, but that may not be able to happen in New England beyond this year. In the meantime Baltimore securing McClain for 700,000 should hardly be looked at as a bad move.

Comparing their 3 yr careers is pretty fair in my opinion. It was only last summer that many here were not too impressed with the first 2 yrs of Spikes' career either, and he really only took off last season as far as being consistent.

Like I said, I'd much rather have Spikes for the right price, but that may not be able to happen in New England beyond this year. In the meantime Baltimore securing McClain for 700,000 should hardly be looked at as a bad move.

Never said it was a bad move. Just not all that impressed with move. I wouldn't call either Spikes or McClain among the top ILBs in the league. Neither should be on the field on third down very often. I just think Spikes is much more consistent.

So the Ravens added three underachievers to their defense. Huff, Spears, and McClain are all first round busts/disappointments. Maybe a change of location will help them revive their careers, but their name recognition is far better than their on the field production.

Spears is cheap depth, period. Canty is the one who will start, and I think he is a decent, middle-range, experienced fill in at a low cost. We had a similar signing with Cory Redding a few years ago that worked out. Spears and McPhee will spell Jones and Canty, and Ngata will move to the NT spot. The D-line will be better than 2012 for sure.

Rolando McClain is a bargain-bin flyer. The guy has three seasons under his belt on a bad team and is only 23 years old. If he acts like a clown, he is flat cut (I hope and assume). Ozzie Newsome is an Alabama guy and I assume he has had a sit down with McClain and told him straight up how it is going to be. McClain has a chance with big effort/performance in 2013 to get his young career back on track (and get paid) in 2014. I see no risk and possible great reward (for the dollar). He will not be handed the job, or even necessarily a roster spot. We have a lot of young inexperienced guys with decent talent at the position plus will almost certainly draft ILB in the first 2-3 rounds.

Huff will start. He is another guy who was saddled on a bad/dysfunctional team. He played full time at CB last year vs FS and played decently. I think he is no worse than a wash as a substitute for 2012 Ed Reed, who literally could not tackle, and who was getting beat/burnt on his gambles as much as having them pay off.

Obviously the leadership loss of Lewis and Reed is the potential problem, but in terms of talent I think our 2013 defense is definitely going to be better, ignoring injury possibilities.

I am much much more concerned with our offense. That could really be pitiful if some players do not step up or things aren't done in FA and/or the draft.

I am much much more concerned with our offense. That could really be pitiful if some players do not step up or things aren't done in FA and/or the draft.

I agree with you that your defense will be just fine, and has lots of potential to improve on the mediocre performance (that many here forget due to your good playoff run) of your 2012 defense.

I assume that BAL will definitely be looking to add another playmaker in the top couple of rounds on offense, possibly/probably in the WR role to replace Boldin. While Boldin wasn't 1/2 of what fans here make him out to be, he was a proven veteran presence that fought hard and played physically--especially in big games.

With Flacco, Rice, T.Smith, Pitta/****son, J.Jones and a WR chosen in the first couple of rounds, your offense should definitely be on par with where it's been in the last couple of years. Rice will still be the focal point, along with Pierce who looked good. The TE's will still be a part of your game for possession catches, possibly more now with the loss of Boldin, and you'd have 2 very good speedster deep threats with T.Smith + a top 4-5 WR in the draft, along with Jacoby Jones and his expected 35 or so catches.

Either way you look at it, there are just some teams that always seem to be competitive for playoff spots, and I don't see that changing much for either one of our teams this year...injuries withstanding, as you said.

he's career stats are just as good as Dannell Ellerbe and he's younger and cost less IMO the ravens have done a nice job this offseason they should still be a playoff team

Really would have liked him especially for that price. He's decent in coverage, which is more than I can saw about a lot of our linebackers.

Really would have liked him especially for that price. He's decent in coverage, which is more than I can saw about a lot of our linebackers.

Off field issues aside, yes I think it was a very good move considering they already had to replace the ILB position (could be plural depending on how often Upshaw actually sees time on the field with both Suggs/Dumervil--which I am skeptical about but Newsome claims otherwise) and will now have more flexibility in the draft.

I think the off field issues and character concerns play into a lot of decisions here though, so that was likely a factor. That, and the fact that Belichick may have felt that our MLB/ILB spot is taken with Spikes/Fletcher as a backup already.

Haven't watched too much Rolando McClain then, eh? He's not good in coverage. In fact, he's no better than what we currently have.

Spears is cheap depth, period. Canty is the one who will start, and I think he is a decent, middle-range, experienced fill in at a low cost. We had a similar signing with Cory Redding a few years ago that worked out. Spears and McPhee will spell Jones and Canty, and Ngata will move to the NT spot. The D-line will be better than 2012 for sure.

Rolando McClain is a bargain-bin flyer. The guy has three seasons under his belt on a bad team and is only 23 years old. If he acts like a clown, he is flat cut (I hope and assume). Ozzie Newsome is an Alabama guy and I assume he has had a sit down with McClain and told him straight up how it is going to be. McClain has a chance with big effort/performance in 2013 to get his young career back on track (and get paid) in 2014. I see no risk and possible great reward (for the dollar). He will not be handed the job, or even necessarily a roster spot. We have a lot of young inexperienced guys with decent talent at the position plus will almost certainly draft ILB in the first 2-3 rounds.

Huff will start. He is another guy who was saddled on a bad/dysfunctional team. He played full time at CB last year vs FS and played decently. I think he is no worse than a wash as a substitute for 2012 Ed Reed, who literally could not tackle, and who was getting beat/burnt on his gambles as much as having them pay off.

Obviously the leadership loss of Lewis and Reed is the potential problem, but in terms of talent I think our 2013 defense is definitely going to be better, ignoring injury possibilities.

Not saying they are bad moves on defense. Just not as impressed as others. People are acting like with the additions the Ravens made, the Ravens' defense is DEFINITELY better than last year. I just don't see it.

There weren't much better moves the Ravens could have made this offseason, but acting like Newsome has been a genius this offseason is way too premature. Yes, McClain is a low risk, high reward type of move, but he really hasn't shown that he is consistent or particularly good for most of his career thus far. Huff is decent, but a downgrade from Reed who I wasn't all that in love with. Canty and Spears are older veterans who the Ravens are hoping they can get one or possibly two good years out of after down years (much like the Pats are doing with Kelly).

I do agree that the Ravens' concerns are on offense. I hate their WR situation. I think Torrey Smith is one of the more overrated players in the NFL. He show flashes of elite talent, but most of the time he is average to even below average. And the Ravens somehow got their o-line to work in the playoffs, but I don't know if they can re-create that magic this year.

McClain is decent in coverage?!? You mean he only get beat by TEs and WRs by 5 yards or so on every passing play?

McClain is horrible in coverage. In fact, that is his biggest knock of his on the field performances. He is purely a two down player and a major liability in coverage. Spikes is better in coverage than him and that ain't saying much.

Mayo and Hightower are clearly better in coverage than McClain. Isn't really even close.

Haven't watched too much Rolando McClain then, eh? He's not good in coverage. In fact, he's no better than what we currently have.

Probably worse. Actually definitely worse. I would only say Spikes is in McClain's range of terms of coverage ability. Mayo and Hightower are far better. Not that is saying much.

Sorry but if Bill let the overpriced FAs walk and signed younger players that were as good or better everybody would be calling it brilliant and great value. Newsome has reloaded much better than I thought he was going to be able to and they are stocked with draft picks still to come. I hate the Ravens as much as anybody but give credit where credit is due. I bet McClain lives up to his potential in Baltimore, unfortunately.

Better than Spikes.

That is debatable. Both are major liabilities in coverage and should never be on the field on obvious passing downs unless they are rushing the passer.

Better than Spikes.

Spikes may be the worst coverage LB in all of professional football. If he's your measuring stick to show just how "good" McClain is in coverage, then you may want to re-think that first statement. He's not good in coverage at all. He sucks at it.

That is debatable. Both are major liabilities in coverage and should never be on the field on obvious passing downs unless they are rushing the passer.

That's fine he's making league minimum. I also don't think Hightower is that good in coverage he has some potential but overall he was underwhelming in all aspects besides his blitzing last year. Either way he's a young player getting league minimum with some potential left he's 23.

Sorry but if Bill let the overpriced FAs walk and signed younger players that were as good or better everybody would be calling it brilliant and great value. Newsome has reloaded much better than I thought he was going to be able to and they are stocked with draft picks still to come. I hate the Ravens as much as anybody but give credit where credit is due. I bet McClain lives up to his potential in Baltimore, unfortunately.

I didn't want the Pats to sign McClain. Classic underachieving head case who is a liability on passing downs.

But I am not busting on the Ravens for taking a bunch of low risk, high reward guys. I am stating that I don't think they are clearly huge wins. Like the Pats most of these guys are boom or bust type of players. They could turn into Andre Carter type of signing or Haynesworth.

I look at a guy like Tommy Kelly and say he was a good signing in that he is a low risk and if he reverts to his 2011 form he was an out of the ball park hit. I am not saying the Pats now have a fearsome front four with him pairing up in between Wilfork and Jones.

Again, I don't hate any of the moves that Newsome made. I just am not impressed with these players in that I think the Ravens are as good or better on defense right now.

BTW, McClain, Huff, and Spears are usually guys the Pats stay away from. They rarely go after the underachieving players (although they have with guys like Haynesworth).

That's fine he's making league minimum. I also don't think Hightower is that good in coverage he has some potential but overall he was underwhelming in all aspects besides his blitzing last year. Either way he's a young player getting league minimum with some potential left he's 23.

The Pats have more run stuffing LBs than they know what do to do with. McClain was not needed on this team.

Hightower did a lot more than you stated. He was also a rookie in a complex defense. He was just fine last year for a rookie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes