PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Patriot WR Chad Ochocinco signs with the Miami Dolphins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea how old you are, but the older I get the less and less I seem to care about these players' private lives and how they choose to live them. You seem to be making the argument that your intolerance is based on your being an "older guy". Being an 'older guy' myself, I take exception to that and think it has less to do with maturity and more to do with something else.

I think more than a few in here hold the same sentiments as me,but I don't think its up for a Poll thread on this website ;) ... The younger fans in here like his stuff and that's their opinion and they're entitled to that,some of us see his shtick differently.

No one,including any athlete is ever going to be seen the same way by everyone,that's just the way it is.

Maybe it's me,but every time I have to take a piss I would rather the entire world not know it :p

I just got back from the rest room.

Did I miss anything?

:D

I think more than a few in here hold the same sentiments as me,but I don't think its up for a Poll thread on this website ;) ... The younger fans in here like his stuff and that's their opinion and they're entitled to that,some of us see his shtick differently.

No one,including any athlete is ever going to be seen the same way by everyone,that's just the way it is.

Maybe it's me,but every time I have to take a piss I would rather the entire world not know it :p

I think the difference in the way some folks perceive things is the entertainment value vs. holy grail mindset. More youngsters expect to be entertained, although some old geezers do as well.

As for Chad, I think you're dead wrong. He's pretty classic adult ADHD, not uncommon among his peers. And not uncommon for them to excell at something that comes naturally. Details bore him and he just can't focus on them. However, he can train athletically for 2-3 hours a day, just can't sit quietly and study film and playbooks. There are two things that matter to him, playing football and being somebody. He's got to be active at all times, even tweeting from the loo...or while driving his car. He's also another video games addict, with him particularly it's FIFA. He's building non intimate/demanding relationships he can handle via social media and websites (the latest will be a dating site) and reality TV. His comeback to his critics is 3M twitter followers and counting...:p

Even his relationship with Evelyn is being lived out superficially in public. And the relationship may work now that her career as a reality star and entrapreneur has taken off (and scuttled the initial plan to get pregnant with twins...). Now they can just continue to persue the same celebrity based lifestyle as a VH-1 level celebrity couple while providing some level of support base to each other. And he may just remain a football player for another year or two as long as Miami or some other team finds itself in need of a focal point for attention not to mention several hundred random and ultimately meaningless yards of production. He can probably still provide that, it's what he did for almost a decade as a Bungle.

85 clearly wanted to face his old team, but wanted to make sure he had time to l have a 50/'50 chance of learning the playbook first.:D

That's OK. The last time he played against the Pats as a Bengal he caught 12 passes and lost.

Boy, the Dolphins are going to be disappointed when they pump Ocho for Tom Brady's on-field secrets anf find out he didn't learn any while he was here.

Peter King has Ocho's contract details in his MMQB-Tuesday edition. Sounds like the same deal he restructured to here for 2012. $925K vet minimum but not treated as a min. deal because he has up to $2M in hard to reach incentives that King says will begin to kick in at 80 receptions. Also says Ocho showed them some juice in a shorts and tshirt workout in the heat. Ran about 20 routes. Only problem with that kind of limited eval is what matters is how they run in pads against coverage and in his case whether the route he selects is the one the QB anticipated...which working with 3 of them won't be an easy task.

Chad Ochocinco signing with Miami Dolphins could be win-win, but it's up to him - Peter King - SI.com

Last edited:
Which is more likely?

Did the Dolphins sign Chad for Hard Knocks?

Or

Did Chad sign with the Dolphins for Hard Knocks?

I suppose it could be both.

Did Jeff Ireland suddenly decide to change his lifelong focus from developing young players to supplementing them with aging FA who potentially block development...or did the boss call him up and encourage him to hire a guy who will generate interest in the team in a rebuild?

Did they bring him in to lead a young core of WR's or did they bring him in because somebody has to start catching the damn ball and so far no one is?

It is what it is and I guess what remains to be seen actually is what it is...

That sounds like a BB presser answer...LOL

There is a big difference between liking or disliking a persona and being obsessed with criticizing it.
Personally, I have no use for all the publicity seeking behavior, but I could also care less that someone does it or not.

It was never about the "playbook" it was all about being able to make sight reads in mid route. Its not something everyone can do, even accomplished receivers like Ocho, Joey Gallaway, or Tory Holt.
I wish him well for 14 of his 16 games next season and hopes he finds success in his new offense

Not quite. Note that Chad often lined up wrong and would get waived to another spot by offensive players.

I always liked the guy as a Bengal. Didn't think he'd be a fit here but rooted for him to succeed and found his presence as a Patriot team mate to be exemplary. I hope he makes the Phins 53 and has 14 good games per season.

Not quite. Note that Chad often lined up wrong and would get waived to another spot by offensive players.

I always liked the guy as a Bengal. Didn't think he'd be a fit here but rooted for him to succeed and found his presence as a Patriot team mate to be exemplary. I hope he makes the Phins 53 and has 14 good games per season.

Exactly. It was about a lot of things. Not mastering the play book. Inability to process pre and post snap reads and adjustments. Inability to process or recall instruction he was given just moments earlier. Being a good route runner but not a precise or meticulous route runner. A propensity for engaging in non football activities that may have interfered with his ability to absorb as much of the intricacy of the game as he might otherwise have, but I think he lacked the capacity to be otherwise. He wasn't detail oriented, he's a big picture guy and the picture he was focused on from the get go was of 85's career, and football was just a part of it or the path and means to an end.

In the end as Bill summed it up there were better options here. In Miami, not so much.

He's got little competition on the depth chart and should contribute more than he did here but overall it's not a bad signing by the Dolphins.

Chad's 276 yards receiving put him 102 in team history between Alan Miller(1960) and Robert Weathers(1982-86).

His 15 receptions ties him at 126th with Hason Graham(1995-1996).

Chad Jackson had 2 less receptions and 124 less receiving yards.
Brandon Tate had 9 more receptions and 156 more receiving yards.

Good luck to Ochocinco. He'll fit in well in South Beach as a colorful personality which is something the Dolphins need in their market. I hope he has a decent season, but it's hard to see how that will happen with that offense.

The Dolphins' offense looks awful, unless I am missing something. Their best receiver is Reggie Bush out of the backfield at this point, and their QB position is mediocre to poor, unless Tannehill is terrific. The Dolphins offensive line is unremarkable other than Jake Long. I don't understand what they're doing down there, to be honest.

The Fins' defense is good to excellent, but Philbin is installing a new system - why do that? The Dolphins have an uphill battle to compete in the AFC East.

Looking over the Dolphins and how they are assembled makes me appreciate the stability and methodical approach that the Patriots have used in re-tooling over the past few years.

We squawk about weaknesses at certain positions, but the Patriots have never really allowed any specific unit (DBs, LBs, DL, OL, Backfield, Receivers, Special Teams, Coaching Staff) to become incompetent. The DB position has been the most difficult to re-stock, but injuries and unpredictability of the draft seem inherent in that area, particularly when drafting at the back end of every round.

Good luck, Ocho. You'll need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back