PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First Writer Turns on Manning (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: First Writer Turns on Manning

It's amazing to me that Peyton is 9th in AFC passer rating (16th in the NFL). That's unbelievable.

IMO, just goes to show you who the true no 1 QB is in the NFL!!!!!!

The former best of all time retired some time ago. Don't even try to put Peyton Manning in the same class as Joe Montana.

Manning is better than Montana. Montana's more of a winner, 'though part of that is cicrumstantial. Let's not go nuts here. Peyton Manning is EASILY in the conversation of "best QB ever."

Nice find, CT....I think I'll put that collage on my dartboard

Piling on. He's doing his job. He can't help that VETERANS, like CLARK, WAYNE, MOOREHEAD, continue to drop balls. Not giving PM a pass, he has made some poor decisions. However, they guy is doing what he needs to do to get his team in position to win. Team effort boys.

Where's that slacker Fitsy when we really, really need him?
Imagine this, people...

Leave Peyton Alone!
LEAVE PEYTON ALONE!!!
(sob)

RookBoston nailed it,IMO.

Did you even read the article in question? Nope, I'm bet you didn't. Why bother when presented with another gleeful opportunity to knee jerk out - "the media sucks!" (BTW, get your bashing correctly worded to sound more wicked smaht - media is plural, so it would be "the media just absolutely suck." Don't you feel better now :p )

There's crappy work and good work in every industry - that's a universal truth. So why not employ some of your very own logic - "It's neither as good or bad as it seems," before getting hysterical again about the alleged shortcomings of the entire media medium, huh? PERSPECTIVE, isn't that what you just said you admire?

I distrust the media based on the fact that every news story that I have been personally familiar with was reported inaccurately. This now amounts to just over thirty to forty stories. A pretty small sampling considering what fills the news every day. But is it just a coincidence that facts were reported incorrectly 100% of the time? I've decided it wasn't a coincidence.

Right or wrong, I have denounced the media at every opportunity. If they are going to present something as fact, it should be factual. I'm very likely being unfair. Maybe I'll take a softer approach on the matter. Thanks for the dose of perspective. You've given me something to think about.

I hate to admit it, but I lean towards HBM on this. PM is human. He was throwing to one of the best receiving corps in history, and now has guys that couldn't start for most teams. How can he produce?

He still has Wayne, Clark, Utecht, and Addai to throw to. Three of them start on most teams. There's no need to exaggerate. Even if you just want to limit it to WRs to make a point, Wayne starts on most teams and Clark can play WR.

And he can produce the same way every other QB does. He can practice with his back-ups in advance. They can dumb down the system for them. He can adjust to them. We're supposed to believe that he's a HoF QB who can't raise the level of those who play around him?

You're so right! I mean Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark couldn't start for most teams. Don't forget about Joseph Addai either.

Moorehead, Utecht, Clark, Wayne, Addai, and Fletcher (I think is his name) have all been there for years. And three of those players are capable of making it to the Pro Bowl.

The original article is crap as well, basically absolving Manning of blame for the struggles beyond him not exerting his will and becoming Superman again. It deals on assumptions, first of all, and is more of the same Manning apologist BS.

On another note, it's hilarious that Thompson is basically calling for Manning to revert back to being a total douchebag to his teammates:

"Manning used to flash his anger and impatience at his teammates when they'd drop a pass or allow a lineman to put pressure on him. Now, he looks like a disappointed, confused, and beaten-down player when it happens."

Now Manning only flashes his anger at his coaches and kicker. :D

Manning is better than Montana. Montana's more of a winner, 'though part of that is cicrumstantial. Let's not go nuts here. Peyton Manning is EASILY in the conversation of "best QB ever."
Joe Montana didn't have a Marvin Harrison at wide receiver to start his career. Also, Joe Montana was not the big time choke artist come playoff time either.

Piling on. He's doing his job. He can't help that VETERANS, like CLARK, WAYNE, MOOREHEAD, continue to drop balls. Not giving PM a pass, he has made some poor decisions. However, they guy is doing what he needs to do to get his team in position to win. Team effort boys.

Tossing 6 picks is not what Manning needs to do to get his team in position to win. Of course, the irony of my saying that is that the Chargers played so poorly that 6 picks actually DID have that team in position to win if the other "great" hadn't gas-piped his kick. Nonetheless, as a general rule, 6 picks will get you killed.

You're so right! I mean Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark couldn't start for most teams. Don't forget about Joseph Addai either.

G0# Almighty! If you don't spell things out to the Nth degree on this site......

I'm talking about the players filling in while Harrison, Gonzalez, Clark and others have been in and out of the lineup. Players like Moorehead, Fletcher, and Thorpe. I'm pretty sure we all know that Wayne, Clark, and Addai could start for other teams, but thanks for taking the time to point out the obvious.

The sports media is having a lot of trouble accepting the fact that Tom Brady is better than Peyton Manning. Not "this year", not "Brady has better receivers", he's just a better quarterback and will be remembered has such. Indy fans will never accept it, but the media might. Give them time.

I find it funny that people claim Manning needs time to "gel" with his "washouts" when he's still throwing to Wayne and Clarke. How much more time is needed, exactly? They're not washouts, they're just a regular receiving corps, which he hasn't had in years. No one should feel bad for Peyton right now, he's been spoiled and we're seeing what kind of a quarterback he really is.

I disagree with this comment. I think people get too caught up with the present, and forget the past. Personally, I think Montana is the greatest QB ever. Just look at his Super Bowl stats, unbelievable. Never threw an INT in 4 SB's. His performances in the SB's are the best I've ever seen. Peyton may have the regular season stats, but compare Montana vs Manning in the playoffs, no comparison. 3 SB MVP's. Amazing. His performance vs the Broncos in the SB in 1989 (I think) may have been the greatest I've ever seen. Peyton has some amazing regular season stats (so does Dan Marino & Drew Bledsoe), but Joe was the greatest of all time.

The sports media is having a lot of trouble accepting the fact that Tom Brady is better than Peyton Manning. Not "this year", not "Brady has better receivers", he's just a better quarterback and will be remembered has such. Indy fans will never accept it, but the media might. Give them time.

I find it funny that people claim Manning needs time to "gel" with his "washouts" when he's still throwing to Wayne and Clarke. How much more time is needed, exactly? They're not washouts, they're just a regular receiving corps, which he hasn't had in years. No one should feel bad for Peyton right now, he's been spoiled and we're seeing what kind of a quarterback he really is.

"What kind of quarterback he really is" is kind of a stretch.

He's making the throws. If 3 pretty perfect passes are caught in the Pats game, he has 2 more TD's and over 300 yards; not too shabby against the best team in history.

For the record, I think Brady is better, and if I had to choose one of them for my team, it would be him easily. But some of the posts on this board go a little far with the "Manning nothing without his weapons" talk.

If we had used this logic with Brady last season, would you have listened? Don't get me wrong, Manning is easily the 2nd best QB in the league, and no one is even sniffing the league that he and Brady are in. But so far, Brady has proven he can do more with less than Manning.

Disagree.

Brown, Givens, Branch, Gaffney, ANY TE you have had >>Moorehead, Crap Thorpe, Fletch.

Ne won a bunch of games by narrow margins (IIRC) in those SB years, correct? Season isn't over, and we're 5-2 with a "depleted" WR corp. Brady ever win a game at home by 3 points versus a .500 team in those years??

Tossing 6 picks is not what Manning needs to do to get his team in position to win. Of course, the irony of my saying that is that the Chargers played so poorly that 6 picks actually DID have that team in position to win if the other "great" hadn't gas-piped his kick. Nonetheless, as a general rule, 6 picks will get you killed.
Yup, general rule, gets you killed. Yet, somehow, PM still threw 60+comp %, 300+ yards, 2 TD's, and was instructed to "hand the game over" to his kicker on a game winning drive. WTF??? Why blame him for putting the ball right on the money to MOOREHEAD for a sure 6, only to have him drop it. It is the cast surrounding him that hasn't stepped up. They SHOULD, but they didn't. trying to say Manning choked here is just being misinformed.

Yup, general rule, gets you killed. Yet, somehow, PM still threw 60+comp %, 300+ yards, 2 TD's, and was instructed to "hand the game over" to his kicker on a game winning drive. WTF??? Why blame him for putting the ball right on the money to MOOREHEAD for a sure 6, only to have him drop it. It is the cast surrounding him that hasn't stepped up. They SHOULD, but they didn't. trying to say Manning choked here is just being misinformed.

No. Manning choked big time. Just because the opposing team sucked, you want to give Manning a cookie? Quit being a homer and then crying when people here do the same thing. Your quarterback's been a stiff for the past 3 games, deal with it.

No. Manning choked big time. Just because the opposing team sucked, you want to give Manning a cookie? Quit being a homer and then crying when people here do the same thing. Your quarterback's been a stiff for the past 3 games, deal with it.
Hey, your opinion. I disagree.

My friend, take a valium, or some other drug of your choosing. For your information, I did read the article in question. Peyton, be a winner again! Peyton grab your teammates by the scruffs of their necks and MAKE them listen! This is TROUBLING!!!

There's even mention of his body language! THAT sounds familiar!

Sorry, I don't take the media seriously, and certainly not the sports media. What are you, a journalist or something? If so, get a thicker skin, you know, the kind you expect your subjects to have.

And thanks for the lesson, Teachy McGrammar. :rolleyes: If there's one place I always like to make sure grammar, spelling and sentence structure is impeccable, it's an internet messageboard devoted to football.

No, I'm not a journalist, I don't even play one on TV, like Ron Borges.:eek:
The reason I was sure that you didn't read the article is that this article does not "absolutely suck," as you proclaim for all media. The writer makes a solid subjective and objective case for what many NFL fans have thought the last few weeks about Manning. Perspective, as in - Manning's been great and he'll be great again, won't help his team win the SB this year, only better play, now, will do so. What the heck is so whacked out about that?

And before you go writing off media as a whole, take note that at his last Senate hearing, no one less than Gen. Peter Pace made specific mention of the extreme importance of a free press, perfect or not. Sometimes I wonder what you complete media haters want - nothing? Only Limbaugh and Hannity filtered news? Whether due to liberal bias, simple human frailty, sloppy, shoddy work, etc., the media are flawed but also far from worthless. Unless, of course, you'd rather live in China.

Hey, your opinion. I disagree.

Then remember that when you start criticizing people here for being homers about the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft