PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First wave of cuts

The first wave of cuts will come out this group of players; the players you mentioned if cut at all would happen in final cuts.

Allen, Ryan
Bartholomew, Ben
Davis, Kanorris
Green, Justin
Haggerty, Johnathan
Jones, Brandon
Kline, Josh
Landi, Evan
Lewis, LeQuan
Patterson, Luke
McDonald, Chris
Schwab, Brice
Sims, Quentin
White, Anthony Rashad
Winn, George

And don't forget Kamar Aiken & Mike Zupancic.

To be fair to Adrian, Mayo also took a lousy angle & completely over-ran the play.
And to be fair to Mayo, I believe that was his first play of the game.

The point stands, however, that Adrian didn't look good last night.
I fully expect Adrian Wilson to survive the 75 player roster cut.

I would think he would... but still, the fact he was still on the field late in the game tells me his roster spot is far from safe...

My guesses:

DLman Armond Armstead & WR Mark Harrison to PUP/NFI
FB Ben Bartholomew
WR Kamar Aiken (to IR?)
TE Evan Landi
1 of OLmen Chris McDonald, Luke Patterson or Brice Schwab (all 3 suck equally)
DT Cory Grissom to IR
CB Brandon Jones (to IR?)
LS Mike Zupancic

If Harrison, Grissom & especially Armstead have to clear waivers before being placed
on a Reserve list, then I will replace them with:
WR Johnathan Haggerty
One of LBs Koutouvides, Rivera & Tarpinian
and CB Justin Green.

I assume Armstead can be placed on the NFI without incident, no?

Not sure. Would be nice if true.

And don't forget Kamar Aiken & Mike Zupancic.

My thought is they may have interest in having Aiken join the practice squad; therefor they’ll keep him around until final cuts so they can limit the amount of time he lingers on the open market. As for Zupancic; the word WHO comes to mind so I overlooked him and he should be included.

If I recall correctly that cannot be done until the cutdown to the 53-man roster (August 31); in other words you can't use him on NFI to get down to 75 players.

For the first set of cuts down to 75 players he would have to either remain on the roster, or be available to other teams via waivers for 24 hours. Even then the only way to retain him would be to place him on IR, which would mean he'd be gone for the whole season.

Last edited:

He is already on it so he’d just remain; he’d only come off to remain go to the 53, which if he could be healthy by week 1 I still view as a possibility. Even if he is raw as sushi I’d probably prefer him than White or Vellano.

If I recall correctly that cannot be done until the cutdown to the 53-man roster (August 31); in other words you can't use him on NFI to get down to 75 players.

For the first set of cuts down to 75 players he would have to either remain on the roster, or be available to other teams via waivers for 24 hours. Even then the only way to retain him would be to place him on IR, which would mean he'd be gone for the whole season.
I see. The reason why I'd asked was because I saw that the 49ers had just placed RB Marcus Lattimore on the reserve/NFI list costing him the first six games of the season. I thought perhaps the Patriots could do something similar to that without incident.

He is already on it so he’d just remain; he’d only come off to remain go to the 53, which if he could be healthy by week 1 I still view as a possibility. Even if he is raw as sushi I’d probably prefer him than White or Vellano.
True, though if he starts the season on the reserve/NFI list it's my understanding that he wouldn't be allowed to suit up for at least six games.

It would be nice to know a little of whatever his ailment is to assess how long he could potentially be out but with the Patriots you just never know. He could be ready for week 1 or placed on IR just the same. We're all in the dark here and it's very frustrating because I had very, very high hopes for Armstead as the third DT.

Re: Re: First wave of cuts

I see. The reason why I'd asked was because I saw that the 49ers had just placed RB Marcus Lattimore on the reserve/NFI list costing him the first six games of the season. I thought perhaps the Patriots could do something similar to that.

True, though if he starts the season on the reserve/NFI list it's my understanding that he wouldn't be allowed to suit up for at least six games.

It would be nice to know a little of whatever his ailment is to assess how long he could potentially be out but with the Patriots you just never know. He could be ready for week 1 or placed on IR just the same. We're all in the dark here and it's very frustrating because I had very, very high hopes for Armstead as the third DT.

Somewhat surprising that we're yet to hear anything specific on the infection and surgery. I couldn't even speculate what it could be.

I believe since he and Harrison have not practiced they just remain on PUP and no determination has to be made until mid season, but I'm not an expert so hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members in here can confirm or clarify the process.

Whether he does or not, SS looks weak to me. A Wilson looks shaky and T Wison and Harmon appear to continue BBs poor draft record with DBs. Gregory is a jag FS who will start at SS. I fear this could be a weak link yet again.

Whether he does or not, SS looks weak to me. A Wilson looks shaky and T Wison and Harmon appear to continue BBs poor draft record with DBs. Gregory is a jag FS who will start at SS. I fear this could be a weak link yet again.

Over the last few years we’ve used more of a two deep, left and right safety look so free safety or strong safety is not something we used a lot. I think the plan for Adrian Wilson is to play early downs allowing us to use more 1 safety in the box (Wilson) and 1 deep safety (McCourty) playing centerfield.

I do not put too much stock in the fact that Wilson was out there late in the game last night, it appeared as if Belichick was mixing personnel up all evening, it may have had more to do with having Adrian Wilson on the field with Tavon Wilson, or it could of just been to stretch him out a bit. I can think of a lot of groupings that were not normal, Washington returning punts but not kickoffs, Mayo not seeing the field until the 2nd or 3rd quarter. I cannot see Adrian being cut from the team; what he may lack at this point in coverage he can compensate for with his in the box versatility, ability to play a hybrid LB role, and most importantly the experience he can share with the younger safeties. Belichick sometimes will play a guy early that is on the bubble in his mind to see how he does with the top group, whereas confirming his decision to cut the player if he continues to fail with the top group; Bobby Carpenter, Dan Koppen, and Sterling Moore (early regular season) were all players that fell into this segment last season for one reason or another.

As far as the group being weak; realistically we’re going to send out the best group of safeties we’ve had in many years, considering how bad they’ve been in recent years I’m not sure that is saying a ton but at least it is not Ihedigbo, Barrett or Brown.

Yes, we can celebrate the fact that we have increased the likely production of this unit, primarily by moving our pro-bowl corner to safety and hiring a couple of old vets to fill the gap for a couple of years each. Unfortunately T Wilson, Ebner and Harmon don't see to help the situation much.

As far as the group being weak; realistically we’re going to send out the best group of safeties we’ve had in many years, considering how bad they’ve been in recent years I’m not sure that is saying a ton but at least it is not Ihedigbo, Barrett or Brown

Re: Re: First wave of cuts

Yes, we can celebrate the fact that we have increased the likely production of this unit, primarily by moving our pro-bowl corner to safety and hiring a couple of old vets to fill the cap for a couple of years each. Unfortunately T Wilson, Ebner and Harmon don't see to help the situation much.

Tavon being the primary disappointment in that group. I know the safety class was weak last season but in hindsight we'd have been better off trading that 2012 2nd round pick for a late first this year and taking a player out what was a deeper safety class this year with the pick we received.

Of course hindsight is always the better idea :D

You mean remain on the NFI list without incident.

The answer is affirmative and it occurred last season with Markus Zusevics.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back