PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First wave of cuts

What's with the emotional meltdown? Because other people have opinions that differ from yours? Get a grip.

Anyway, if you can discuss it without the hysterics Wilson is simply not very good. He lost playing time last year, has dropped to the bottom end of the depth chart at safety in training camp this year and has looked awful doing so. I don't see Bequette making the cut this year for many of the same reasons, was active for only three games last year, is at the bottom of the depth chart this year and has not looked good against other 3rd stringers when given the opportunity to do something.

YOU'RE A BIG MEANIE!:singing:

It's not an emotional meltdown. I just hate seeing illogical crap such as people demanding we cut 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounders from this year or a year ago.

I agree that saying that Harmon will not make the 53 is not "hating". It is simply ignorance.

What does that mean? Harmon is a lock? You might be right. I've got McCourty, Gregory, Wilson and Wilson at the safety position. That could be it.

The fifth safety is one of those tough spots to keep or drop, depending on what they do at other spots like running back (I keep five there) and DL, with Armstead on PUP presuming he can get over the infection and come back.

In the mix here at safety is Ebner on Special Teams and whether you keep five corners and hold onto to Dowling. I don't see keeping more than 10 DBs in total.

This is a deep team.

What does that mean? Harmon is a lock? You might be right. I've got McCourty, Gregory, Wilson and Wilson at the safety position. That could be it.

In the mix here is Ebner on Special Teams and whether you keep five corners and hold onto to Dowling.

I don't see keeping more than 10 DBs.

Harmon is absolutely a lock.

In the mix here is Ebner on Special Teams and whether you keep five corners and hold onto to Dowling.

I don't see keeping more than 10 DBs.

It would take a preseason showing of Jet-like proportions for the Patriots to cut a 5th rounder, let alone someone drafted where Harmon was drafted. Plus Harmon has had a couple positive series, so there's no doubt that the guy will stick around.

Since he's been here, Belichick has not cut a rookie who was drafted in the first four rounds of the draft. There was one fourth rounder who was cut a few weeks into the season.

With regard to the need for a fifth safety. We don't need one, expect to play special teams.
Some were hoping Gregory would not make the team because he isn't a special teamer. Now, of course, he may start. Certainly, T Wilson and Harmon are special teasers, so we are fine roster-wise with these two as backups.

The fifth safety is one of those tough spots to keep or drop, depending on what they do at other spots like running back (I keep five there) and DL, with Armstead on PUP presuming he can get over the infection and come back.

In the mix here at safety is Ebner on Special Teams and whether you keep five corners and hold onto to Dowling. I don't see keeping more than 10 DBs in total.

This is a deep team.

Since he's been here, Belichick has not cut a rookie who was drafted in the first four rounds of the draft. There was one fourth rounder who was cut a few weeks into the season.

With regard to the need for a fifth safety. We don't need one, expect to play special teams.
Some were hoping Gregory would not make the team because he isn't a special teamer. Now, of course, he may start. Certainly, T Wilson and Harmon are special teasers, so we are fine roster-wise with these two as backups.

As for Steve Gregory, he'll always have a spot on my 53 in recognition of his return of the butt fumble for a touchdown.

Who goes? Who stays? Any surprises?

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Jake Ballard, Tavon Wilson, and Jake Bequette cut on Tuesday. I could also throw Adrian Wilson in that category.

Thoughts?

Is this a joke?????????

Certainly, T Wilson and Harmon are special teasers, so we are fine roster-wise with these two as backups.

You do that on purpose? Not seen that particular malapropism before.

Koutouvides (they know what they have in him and he won't sign elsewhere)

Why won't he sign elsewhere? You don't think one of the 31 other teams doesn't need help on ST or won't after week 1? (This is not meant to be a rhetorical question.)

Allen, Ryan

A lot of folks have his name there for the Tuesday, but that still looks like a competitive position to me. If there's consideration for dumping Mesko's salary, they'll give Allen another week. However, he'll pretty much have to be perfect both in practice and in the game. He has the talent to do that, so they could give him the chance.

No, it doesn't make sense, and using that ridiculous line of reasoning doesn't change a thing. This is doubly true in cases like Tavon and Bequette, where the cap hits for cutting loose aren't particularly egregious, even more true when you're looking at a team that's quite possibly going to be putting two UDFAs in the starting lineup on the offensive side (thus giving you more of your 'cheap bodies') , and yet more true when you fail to grasp the notion that getting rid of them isn't all that costly in comparison to those in competition with them.

Actually, TWilson has a decent sized cap hit ($555K) if cut. It doesn't make sense to remove one of your high-performing ST players and replace him with a $555K more expensive, lower quality player.

I found it interesting that Belichick said that the roster was 80% set. That leaves 10 positions not set, a bit more than the number most posters think are uncertain at this point. To put this another way, there are only 43 locks at this point.

B (2) Brady, Mallett
RB (3) Ridley, Vereen, Blount
WR (6) Amendola, Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce, Edelman, Slater
TE (2) Sudfeld, Gronkowski
C (1) Wendell
G (3) Mankins, Connolly, Cannon
T (3) Vollmer, Solder, Svitek
DE (4) Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Benard
DT (2) Wilfork, Kelly
ILB(2) Spikes, Fletcher
OLB(3) Mayo, Hightower, Collins
CB (4) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan
SS (2) Wilson, Wilson
FS (3) McCourty, Gregory, Harmon
ST (2) Gostkowski, Aiken

Total players: 42
Created with Pats Picker: http://patspicker.patsfans.com

The Coach reminds us of how the final 20% of the roster is selected. It isn't necessarily the guys who are the best at their position.

Belichick: About 80 percent of roster set - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Heh, Dan Carpenter cut again. Cardinals signed him and then bye bye in not even a week. That didn't take long...

And Ghost has no competition... :confused:

Seems like Blount is considered by most a roster lock, why? He runs like he weighs 50 lbs. less and in short yardage situations shuffles and stops his feet as he approaches the LOS. I like Bolden more due to his special teams contributions. Blount getting cut would not break my heart.

Seems like Blount is considered by most a roster lock, why? He runs like he weighs 50 lbs. less and in short yardage situations shuffles and stops his feet as he approaches the LOS. I like Bolden more due to his special teams contributions. Blount getting cut would not break my heart.

Same here. Bolden can catch the ball and play ST, too.

For those of you eying up DaRick Rodgers, sounds like he's been traded to the Lions for QB Thad Lewis.

Edt: Please treat with caution for now - still twitter speculation.

For those of you eying up DaRick Rodgers, sounds like he's been traded to the Lions for QB Thad Lewis.

He will be right at home with those thugs.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back