PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First wave of cuts

I wonder what the chances are that Adrian Wilson is a surprise cut....

I doubt it in the first round but he looked as stiff as a board yesterday. My grandmother could have out-juked him.

I doubt it in the first round but he looked as stiff as a board yesterday. My grandmother could have out-juked him.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I thought it was interesting he was on the field late into the game.

Makes me think his roster spot might not be as secure as we thought...

Here's the problem the Patriots are currently facing:

Other than Devin McCourty, which Patriots safety candidate has played well enough to -

A: earn a starting job
B: earn a backup job
C: earn surviving the first cut

I've been thinking A. Wilson was a fringe player for the past week or two. We already have the leader of the secondary (McCourty). A. Wilson's value was at playing the dime LB which he doesn't seem to be able to pick up and I can't blame him. LB responsibilities are some of the toughest on the field, especially after you've been playing Safety for 10+ years.

Also, for the Bequette haters. He played a pretty decent game last night.

Food for thought:

Leftover thoughts from Pats' loss - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

3. Working on the dime package (six defensive backs) seemed to be a top priority for the Patriots, and we saw safety Adrian Wilson move down to a linebacker-type role in that grouping. He was involved in Reggie Bush's 67-yard catch-and-run, taking a bad angle that helped spring Bush free, and didn't seem to be entirely comfortable reading and reacting to what was unfolding in front of him. The Patriots started Devin McCourty and Steve Gregory at safety, which seems to be viewed as their best coverage-type players at the position. Wilson came on in the second half.

Your post makes no sense.

It does for those that aren't inept and can draw from more than just the words they read. You're a baby so I'll spell it out for you.

Tavon Wilson and Jake Bequette are in the 2nd year of rookie deals and they are healthy, cheap bodies. Whether you and anyone else likes it or not their combination of draft status and health keeps them on this team. Heck, unhealthy guys like Ras-I Dowling didn't get cut their second and possibly third year.

It does for those that aren't inept and can draw from more than just the words they read. You're a baby so I'll spell it out for you.

Tavon Wilson and Jake Bequette are in the 2nd year of rookie deals and they are healthy, cheap bodies. Whether you and anyone else likes it or not their combination of draft status and health keeps them on this team. Heck, unhealthy guys like Ras-I Dowling didn't get cut their second and possibly third year.

No, it doesn't make sense, and using that ridiculous line of reasoning doesn't change a thing. This is doubly true in cases like Tavon and Bequette, where the cap hits for cutting loose aren't particularly egregious, even more true when you're looking at a team that's quite possibly going to be putting two UDFAs in the starting lineup on the offensive side (thus giving you more of your 'cheap bodies') , and yet more true when you fail to grasp the notion that getting rid of them isn't all that costly in comparison to those in competition with them.

I'm not saying that those players wil be cut, but your post was just silly.

are you trying to out do the guy who started the massive fail thread about how badly we were gonna beat the Lions?
Again, I don't expect any of those players I listed to be cut, but it wouldn't surprise if they were. Next time read the thread and if you're not going to add any content to it other than "this thread fails" nonsense, please don't bother posting.

Aiken goes before Sims, IMO.
I agree. Sims has shown up more in the actual games which to me are more important than TC reports. It sounded like Aiken was on his way to competing for a spot but you cannot make the club from the tub. I could see him going to IR.

The first wave of cuts will come out this group of players; the players you mentioned if cut at all would happen in final cuts.

Allen, Ryan
Bartholomew, Ben
Davis, Kanorris
Green, Justin
Haggerty, Johnathan
Jones, Brandon
Kline, Josh
Landi, Evan
Lewis, LeQuan
Patterson, Luke
McDonald, Chris
Schwab, Brice
Sims, Quentin
White, Anthony Rashad
Winn, George
For your first point, indeed I agree with that. Those players I listed may or may not make the team but they should all be the bubble come final cuts, but all I meant by that was it wouldn't shock me at all if they got the axe prior to that. Belichick works in mysterious ways. People here are acting as if those guys are locks or something when nothing they've done on the field suggests that.

As for your players, what about Sims and White? Do you think they survive this wave of cuts? Both looked alright against the Lions, at least much better than those others listed that played.

Also, for the Bequette haters. He played a pretty decent game last night.
Here's a clue:

The New England Patriots defense in the second half of the preseason game against the Detroit Lions was completely wretched.

As for your players, what about Sims and White? Do you think they survive this wave of cuts? Both looked alright against the Lions, at least much better than those others listed that played.
If Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly do not play in the fourth preseason game, I would expect the New England Patriots to carry four defensive tackles in the last preseason game:

Forston
Grissom
Vellano
White

As for the wide receiver position, I would anticipate either Aiken or Sims to be cut. Haggerty has shown nothing so far to justify a roster spot.

Re: Re: First wave of cuts

Again, I don't expect any of those players I listed to be cut, but it wouldn't surprise if they were. Next time read the thread and if you're not going to add any content to it other than "this thread fails" nonsense, please don't bother posting.

I agree. Sims has shown up more in the actual games which to me are more important than TC reports. It sounded like Aiken was on his way to competing for a spot but you cannot make the club from the tub. I could see him going to IR.

For your first point, indeed I agree with that. Those players I listed may or may not make the team but they should all be the bubble come final cuts, but all I meant by that was it wouldn't shock me at all if they got the axe prior to that. Belichick works in mysterious ways. People here are acting as if those guys are locks or something when nothing they've done on the field suggests that.

Fair enough I misunderstood, I thought you were referring to the cut down to 75.

I think they both have a solid shot at making it past the cuts to 75, the reason being is both (especially Sims) are candidates for the practice squad so we likely want to cut them in a time where if they clear waivers we can immediately offer them a spot rather than have them linger for other teams to kick the tires on.

I read the thread but somehow missed the memo where you were appointed chief of thread police.
Don't get your panties in a wad when someone calls out your "wouldn't be surprised if they were cut TUESDAY" opinion as ludicrous because it is...ludicrous.

A clue for the clueless. Don't post idiocy and you won't get called on it.

EDIT: Great topic. Nonsensical opinion.

This team loves measurables, so I would expect them to try finding a way to keep Harrison around.

I don't think anyone has ever come right out and said it - or made any accusations - but when I see the phantom IR decisions among promising rookies (who in fact may have some legitimate, albeit minor injuries) I'm assuming the players are complicit in a "scheme" to stash them for another year.

Seems to me it's a win win for certain players and the team.

You want to play where you are valued, where there is a future need and where there is an interest to develop you into a starting role.

If not for IR, then while you could be picked up by another team, you are already starting behind other players. And assuming you get a chance to play, it's on a team and organization that's not as good as the Patriots.

Guys on the Practice Squad are a different matter, because if they're taken by another team then need to be on the active roster and would theoretically have a real chance to play in real games

But for a developmental guy who knows he's a developmental guy, a year on IR can be a good thing, and can help make or break your NFL career.

I think they both have a solid shot at making it past the cuts to 75, the reason being is both (especially Sims) are candidates for the practice squad so we likely want to cut them in a time where if they clear waivers we can immediately offer them a spot rather than have them linger for other teams to kick the tires on.

This is a very Belichickian move - though I would think by now most head coaches are smart enough to copy him.

It's based on the premise that teams will be having a tough enough time evaluating their own players and shaving down the roster and won't be able to take a flyer on a new guy, adding to their roster at this time.

But of course another Belichickian move would be to initially shave the roster down to say, 72, and leave room for a few other guys from other teams, at the very least just to get them in for a time to evaluate them.

Here's a clue:

The New England Patriots defense in the second half of the preseason game against the Detroit Lions was completely wretched.

So that means individual players like Jake Bequette and Logan Ryan didn't do their job?

folks on the bubble for me are Brian Flores, Josh Boyer and Matt Patricia. The secondary is bad and has been for a while.

Its pre season and they are just taking a look at guys, but they need to pick it up once regular season starts or they could be out after the season

Don't forget that in order to put a player on Injured Reserve right now he first has to clear waivers (waive/injured), and then only if nobody claims him you can then place him on IR; it's the same situation that resulted in the Patriots claiming Jake Ballard. That doesn't change until the final roster cuts August 31, when teams need to get down to 53 players.

Aiken, Grissom and Jones would likely clear waivers but Armstead and Harrison would still count as being on the 75-man roster for now; they can't go from pre-season PUP or NFI to the in-season version until September 1.

OK thanks. I thought that the date to place somebody on waivers expired the day before
the mandatory cutdown to 75. Gonna have to rethink those other 2 cuts now.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back