PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First wave of cuts

Here are Field Yates' guesses of the nine players to be cut before or on Tuesday:

Wide receiver Kamar Aiken. Limited in recent days due to an undisclosed injury, Aiken has fallen behind the trio of rookie receivers on the depth chart. He's an intriguing mix of size and speed, but he couldn't consistently get on the field for reps when healthy.

Punter Ryan Allen. Perhaps a surprising name to appear on this list, but our feeling is that Zoltan Mesko has separated himself in the punting competition. Allen has a strong leg and a decorated college resume, which could land him work with another team.

Wide receiver Johnathan Haggerty. Haggerty has seen limited action in preseason games and has worked largely with the opportunity group during practices. The former Bears and Browns receiver is the kind of player who the team can keep on its list of street free agents if it ever needed to bring a body in quickly.

Cornerback Brandon Jones. Jones has been dealing with an undisclosed injury in recent days, so he could be waived/injured if the team parts ways with him. The Rutgers product is near the bottom of the cornerback depth chart.

Tight end Evan Landi. Recently signed, Landi may not last long with the Patriots. Though Rob Gronkowski remains on PUP, the Patriots have been able to get by with four tight ends, and if Daniel Fells returns soon, Landi could be the odd man out.

Cornerback LeQuan Lewis. Lewis was brought aboard when the Patriots' cornerback depth decreased due to injuries to both Ras-I Dowling and Alfonzo Dennard. If either returns soon, Lewis seems like a candidate to go.

Offensive lineman Brice Schwab. The Patriots have a group of young linemen that could be vying for a practice squad spot, but given the thin interior line depth, Schwab, a tackle prospect, could be squeezed out of a roster spot.

Running back George Winn. The Patriots are deep and talented in the backfield, though Winn could end up on a practice squad somewhere else around the league.

Long snapper Mike Zupancic. With Danny Aiken already on the roster, there's little need for the Patriots to carry a second snapper.

Early look at possible cuts - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

The cut to 75 is a good time to cut more expensive veterans who you've determined will not make the final 53 leaving younger and cheaper players available to play in the final preseason game. My guess as to the veterans cut: Fells or Hooman and A. Wilson.

You never know, but I would be a bit surprised if Allen was cut the first round. You hate to cut a player that is good enough to play for you early on, just in case something happens to the starter before the season starts. BB has certainly done it before, but I guess we will see.

Whether he does or not, SS looks weak to me. A Wilson looks shaky and T Wison and Harmon appear to continue BBs poor draft record with DBs. Gregory is a jag FS who will start at SS. I fear this could be a weak link yet again.

The Patriots don't use SS/FS and haven't for awhile. They use Left Safety and Right Safety and expect the safeties to be able to do it all.

Harmon played well in the 1st two games, all things considered. Everyone seemed to be off in the 3rd game. So, Harmon looking bad can be written off to rookie jitters..

Saying that the Pats drafted poorly by drafting him at this stage of the game is a huge over-reaction.

Tavon being the primary disappointment in that group. I know the safety class was weak last season but in hindsight we'd have been better off trading that 2012 2nd round pick for a late first this year and taking a player out what was a deeper safety class this year with the pick we received.

Of course hindsight is always the better idea :D

You're making the assumption that the Patriots didn't try to move that 2012 pick. If they did try, but no one was willing to make the trade, then what? Is it their fault no one was willing to give up a 1st or 2nd 2013+other picks ?

The Patriots don't use SS/FS and haven't for awhile. They use Left Safety and Right Safety and expect the safeties to be able to do it all.

Harmon played well in the 1st two games, all things considered. Everyone seemed to be off in the 3rd game. So, Harmon looking bad can be written off to rookie jitters..

Saying that the Pats drafted poorly by drafting him at this stage of the game is a huge over-reaction.

They do play SS and FS while expecting them to be able to switch it up so the offense can't dictate mismatches. McCourty is primarily the FS but will occasionally be the SS. Saying Harmon was a bad pick might be jumping the gun, saying Wilson was a bad pick isn't.

Saying that we don't use SS/FS is a regurgitated theme from years ago that isn't true anymore.

They do play SS and FS while expecting them to be able to switch it up so the offense can't dictate mismatches. McCourty is primarily the FS but will occasionally be the SS. Saying Harmon was a bad pick might be jumping the gun, saying Wilson was a bad pick isn't.

Please state facts as to why Tavon Wilson was a bad pick so that anyone with an ounce of football knowledge can laugh at you.

The hastiness of people to write off players 3 games into the preseason is going to cause me to leave this board at least until a few games into the regular season. The hate on Harmon, T. Wilson, and Bequette is just pure cargo culting at this point.

Yes, but if we had a true strong safety, perhaps we would have more of a division of roles.

Belichick has to adapt to the talent that he has available.

Saying that we don't use SS/FS is a regurgitated theme from years ago that isn't true anymore.

Please state facts as to why Tavon Wilson was a bad pick so that anyone with an ounce of football knowledge can laugh at you.

The hastiness of people to write off players 3 games into the preseason is going to cause me to leave this board at least until a few games into the regular season. The hate on Harmon, T. Wilson, and Bequette is just pure cargo culting at this point.

What's with the emotional meltdown? Because other people have opinions that differ from yours? Get a grip.

Anyway, if you can discuss it without the hysterics Wilson is simply not very good. He lost playing time last year, has dropped to the bottom end of the depth chart at safety in training camp this year and has looked awful doing so. I don't see Bequette making the cut this year for many of the same reasons, was active for only three games last year, is at the bottom of the depth chart this year and has not looked good against other 3rd stringers when given the opportunity to do something.

The suggestions that guys will be released isn't hating, it's comparing players in position groupings to determine who is doing the best job. Bequette is one guy with a big upside but who is getting outplayed by the guys competing for DL jobs this year. In a vacuum, I like Bequette and how he might contribute. But right now, he does not make my 53. Tavon Wilson does, Harmon does not.

The Patriots are deep this year. It's pretty intense at several positions. Safety is one of those positions where there are not enough roster spots for all the guys that can play at the NFL level. Running back is another. With the emergence of Develin, a good back will be cut. Tough nine days right now for guys on the bubble.

I agree that saying that Harmon will not make the 53 is not "hating". It is simply ignorance.

The suggestions that guys will be released isn't hating, it's comparing players in position groupings to determine who is doing the best job. Bequette is one guy with a big upside but who is getting outplayed by the guys competing for DL job this year. In a vacuum, I like Bequette and how he might contribute. But right now, he does not make my 53. Tavon Wilson does, Harmon does not.

The Patriots are deep this year. It's pretty intense at several positions. Safety is one of those positions where there are not enough roster spots for all the guys that can play at the NFL level. Running back is another. With the emergence of Develin, a good back will be cut. Tough nine days right now for guys on the bubble.

Safeties Tavon Wilson and Duron Harmon both contribute on special teams.

Leftover thoughts from Pats' loss - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

6. Rookie safety Duron Harmon served as the personal protector on the punt team. As the coaching staff considers which 46 players to dress on game day, special teams can be a big factor for a reserve safety like Harmon. He was also part of the top kickoff coverage unit and on the punt return unit.

Defensive end Marcus Benard contributes on special teams and Jake Bequette does not.

I thought I was the only fan that thinks that way. The coaches do too, I know.

BB has always adapted his system to the talent available. Patrick Chung was failing when last years draft rolled around. We needed a rugged in the box SS, who could also run with the TEs that were killing us, as Patrick could not. Hence Tavon Wilson was drafted to replace Patrick Chung and provide a skoosh more coverage ability, for a SS. Tavon played well enough as a rookie at SS, to allow BB to let Chung go.

But Tavon was NEVER meant to be the solution at deep FS and QB of the secondary. His rookie play and this preseason confirmed that, although the Coaches tried to expand his game, with their generally unproductive experimentation. It also explains the Duran Harmon draft. Duran was drafted to provide that deep FS and QB of the Defense talent.

Meanwhile the fans saw Tavons's failings as a deep FS, and decided he was a bum. Some draftniks who hadn't liked the pick because their rabbit foot of the "Hair from Baltimore" told them so. Longterm he will provide what he was drafted to do. After veterans Gregory and Adriain retire from the scene.

Fine with me if you just want to call them safeties. Neither looks like he can play DB. Neither was productive in college which is the reason the picks were widely panned when they were made. Tavon went downhill last year and continues to look stiff and take bad angles this year. I see zero improvement over Chung. Many writers have said that he is a marginal player at the end of the roster. He may or may not, make it another year. Harmon will almost certainly get a pass this year, so we can hold out hope he will develop. The last game was his worst, but he didn't make any significant plays in the first two either. We have two surprisingly high draft picks that are looking exactly like everyone who said they were drafted too early thought they would look. McCourty will surely improve things but, despite all the names, there is no strong player at the other safety position. In my view, it is far and away our weakest position on defense despite investing two high picks.

Re: Re: First wave of cuts

Defensive end Marcus Benard contributes on special teams and Jake Bequette does not.

Benard also contributes on defense and Bequette does not :sly:

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back