PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First full pads practice in 3 weeks: Talib & Amendola present/Kelly & Washington not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Buchanan absent and Ninkovich limited

Rob Ninkovich has been added to the injury list with an apparent groin injury. In addition to that Michael Buchanan missed today’s practice however it was not injury related, does anyone have any insight into that situation?

The Andre Carter is looking smarter by the hour :thumb:

The Blitz with Jeff Howe & Karen Guregian | Boston Herald

Armstead coming off NFI list???

Now the "how fast can you be here", story regarding Carter is making more and more sense.

That injury report is from October 9.

This. The "Latest News" tracker at the top has been updating some old articles as if they were recent for the last few days.

Gotta make sure you pay attention to it.

Oh my bad, it is posted on the herald page and also on the patsfans.com news page.

This. The "Latest News" tracker at the top has been updating some old articles as if they were recent for the last few days.

Ah, that makes sense. I was trying to figure out where he found such a random injury report.

My error, I am really sorry everyone! Could a moderator be kind enough to close this out? I attempted to delete it but I could not do it since it has other posts now.

Thanks and sorry again, Brady6

Re: First full pads practice in 3 weeks: Talib & Amendola present/Kelly & Washington

well if game 1 vs. buffalo is any indication on how amendola can play with a torn groin then im fine with that.

why is everyone trying to be a doctor here?

The problem seems to be the Herald in particular; for some reason it seems to be stuck in a time machine from two weeks ago. :idontgetit:

Now the "how fast can you be here", story regarding Carter is making less sense. :bricks:

So just to be current (and FWIW), here is today's report:
Did Not Practice
DL Tommy Kelly (knee)
RB/KR Leon Washington (ankle)

Limited Participation
WR Danny Amendola (concussion/groin)
RB Brandon Bolden (knee)
OL Marcus Cannon (shoulder)
WR Julian Edelman (thigh)
TE Rob Gronkowski (back/forearm)
TE Michael Hoomanawanui (knee)
WR Matthew Slater (wrist)
CB Aqib Talib (hip)
DB Tavon Wilson (hamstring)

Full Participation
CB Kyle Arrington (groin)
CB Devin McCourty (shoulder)
DL Rob Ninkovich (groin)

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...nd-danny-amendola-among-limited-for-patriots/

Re: First full pads practice in 3 weeks: Talib & Amendola present/Kelly & Washington

I know the article and said nothing to contradict it. The article is evaluating the need for re-attachment:

The reason that athletes return faster without the surgery is not that the tendon is healed. Instead, the athlete can learn to accommodate the pain and loss of the function of the adductor muscle to which the tendon is attached. That means overcoming things like loss of strength and hip stability. The relevance of all this is that if Amendola did indeed suffer a complete adductor rupture (reported but we don't really know), he is not 100% physically and will not be 100% next week either. He may well learn to play at a high level despite not being physically as he was before. We all hope that is the case. But we should also not be surprised if he is not quite the same player because he is playing with an injury, specifically a ruptured tendon.

I'm not sure what you are understanding the article especially with the quote you cited. The quote you cited actually argues the opposite of what you are arguing. It argues that a person can perform at a high level of physical activity without re-attachment. Here is the quote again:

direct anatomical attachment of the adductor longus tendon to its origin on the symphysis pubis is not a requirement for high level athletic function.

In fact here is the full quote of the section you quoted:

The majority of athletes in these studies were able to return to preinjury levels of participation in their sports with limited or no pain, suggesting that direct anatomical attachment of the adductor longus tendon to its origin on the symphysis pubis is not a requirement for high- level athletic function. Other electromyographic studies have also suggested that the adductor group may not actually play a vital role in sprinting and cutting maneuvers casting further doubt on the value of its full anatomical attachment.

The article clearly is arguing that a player can return to pre-injury form with this injury without a surgical procedure and that attaching the tendon is not necessary.

Clearly this article supports my argument that Amendola will get back to 100% without surgery and he might return to 100% this season. In fact, it suggests that if he can manage the pain, he could already be at 100%.

And let's not forget this study was published in 2009. So the medical community may have already accepted these arguments as facts five years later.

As much as none of us really care for LaGarette Blount returning kicks, it really doesn't seem to be making much difference, and it does protect us from having to use important players who actually see live reps (McCourty, Edelman). As Rob points out, Blount is really only returning 1 out of every 3.2 kicks anyway, which kind of proves the fact that KR's are getting more and more useless due to the rule change.

Looking at the comparison of these 3 kick returners:

Devin McCourty---24.3 ypr

LaGarette Blount---23.1 ypr

Julian Edelman---21.7 ypr

So basically, we're sacrificing 1.2 yards per average return to have Blount in there instead of McCourty, but we're also keeping McCourty and Edelman out of the way of harm too.

Aside from the one KR vs the NYJ, there wasn't much about McCourty that impressed me last season anyway; and Edelman's KR average is actually 1.4 yards LESS than Blount.

Where does it say he is not looking good?
He wasnt wearing thigh pads, which by itself means nothing.

According to Chris Price, he definitely wasn't looking good. Price writes:

"was limited in practice on Wednesday while moving gingerly through drills."

Jeff Howe wrote: "He wasn’t cutting particularly well. . . ."

As of Friday, he couldn't even jog through warm ups, so it will definitely be something to keep an eye on. If he doesn't go this week vs MIA, they may as well just let him rest through the bye and keep him out vs PIT too in my opinion. May as well give him an extra 3 weeks instead of playing in one game before the bye. That would be 5 weeks in total.

Yeah, it would seem that they may be taking the Talib situation cautiously, especially since it's been a chronic nagging injury that has now lingered into his FOURTH year in a row.

As we know, there just isn't any telling where and when it may rear its ugly head again, and he has obvious importance to any postseason hopes.

Clearly this article supports my argument that Amendola will get back to 100% without surgery and he might return to 100% this season. In fact, it suggests that if he can manage the pain, he could already be at 100%.

What I understood in the Amendola situation was that he had already done the doctor's work for them by tearing the tendon from the bone, so he would need to still undergo the required month or so of rehab (which he apparently did).

The rehab period would have been the same whether he had surgery or not, so I don't believe that he will need surgery in the future due to the fact that he had already tore the tendon from the bone.

This is not meant as disrespect to Mack, who may end up being correct after all; I am just stating that Rob's view is exactly what I understood it to be myself.

As much as none of us really care for LaGarette Blount returning kicks, it really doesn't seem to be making much difference, and it does protect us from having to use important players who actually see live reps (McCourty, Edelman). As Rob points out, Blount is really only returning 1 out of every 3.2 kicks anyway, which kind of proves the fact that KR's are getting more and more useless due to the rule change.

Looking at the comparison of these 3 kick returners:

Devin McCourty---24.3 ypr

LaGarette Blount---23.1 ypr

Julian Edelman---21.7 ypr

So basically, we're sacrificing 1.2 yards per average return to have Blount in there instead of McCourty, but we're also keeping McCourty and Edelman out of the way of harm too.

Aside from the one KR vs the NYJ, there wasn't much about McCourty that impressed me last season anyway; and Edelman's KR average is actually 1.4 yards LESS than Blount.

One thing I forgot to mention is 4 of the 10 Blount kick returns occurred this past weekend vs. the Jets (the Jets kicked off six times in total) because Nick Folk sucks at kick offs (5 of Blount's 10 kick returns were against Folk and Folk has kicked off against the Pats a total of 9 times in two games). So in the first six weeks of the season, Blount only took the ball out of the end zone 6 times out of 26 kick offs (or once every 4.3 kick offs).

When you factor that in, Blount's kick return role is even more insignificant.

So in the first six weeks of the season, Blount only took the ball out of the end zone 6 times out of 26 kick offs (or once every 4.3 kick offs).

When you factor that in, Blount's kick return role is even more insignificant.

Yeah, I don't think any of us are exactly thrilled about it, but having Blount in there for KOR duty makes sense on a lot of levels too; at least until Washington or Vereen come back anyway.

When you look at all of our options, you can see why they chose Blount:

--Edelman (much better on PR + is needed as a key offensive player. He already has a history of getting injured as it is)

--McCourty (obviously our top secondary player at the moment. His play at safety/CB is key to our chances of doing anything significant this season)

--Vereen (injured on IR exempt, due back in week #11 after the bye occurs)

--Boyce (hasn't been able to see the field as he's been inactive)

--Washington (injured, when or if he returns is anyone's guess)

Armstead coming off NFI list???

Not yet, he's not. He was working out on a side field, but did not come off of the NFI list.

Also, were the new Nose Tackle Siliga and old friend Andre Carter spotted at practice?

Carter was indeed at practice. I saw a pic of him standing next to Chandler Jones.

Andre Carter lines up a return | Boston Herald

I am a little concerned about rushing Talib back, wondering what is going on with Vereen. Should be back on the field ASAP.

Belichick claims that Vereen "is not too far off" from returning to practice.

As for Talib, I read 2 reports that stated that he did not look good yesterday at practice--moving very limited and gingerly. May need to consider bringing him back after the bye too, especially if he isn't going to go Sunday, it's just one more game. That would give him a nice 5 week break. I'd rather see him take the 5 weeks off now and only have to miss a game or two down the stretch run.

Since it's been his 4th yr with this specific injury, I'd imagine that the Pats will want him to have surgery at the end of the season if they plan on offering him another pact. Just speculation, but I'd have a hard time imagining a scenario where they wouldn't want this addressed. We have absolutely no idea when it's going to come up again. There's no telling whatsoever. Like you said, I think they take it cautiously with Talib.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents