PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Finding a gem in the WR free agency list (more realistic options)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lloyd>Henderson in almost every aspect

I don't think I've underestimated Henderson at all. I think he's a WR4/WR5. The Saints seem to agree with me, given both the numbers and the way he's generally been used. The thing is, as long as the Patriots re-sign Welker Edelman, they'll already have gotten their WR1 (Welker), WR2 (Lloyd) and WR4 (Edelman). What they'll need is a WR3. Henderson is not that player.

so you dont need him. Im fine with that as long as he goes to a AFC team im happy. Hed fit percet in Denver to. Just dont want him in a NFC team. If Lloyd went to a NFC team, it wouldnt bother me.

---Louis Murphy (CAR)
---Johnnie Knox (CHI) EDIT: may not be a FA due to remaining on PUP for the 2012 season like M.Pryor
---Josh Cribbs (CLE)
---M.Massaquoi (CLE)
---Donnie Avery (IND)
---Devery Henderson (NO)
---Ramses Barden (NYG)
---Dominic Hixon (NYG)
---Jerome Simpson (MIN)
---Brian Hartline (MIA)
---Ted Ginn (SF)
---Brandon Gibson (STL)
---Steve Smith (CAR)
---Derek Hagan (OAK)
---Legadu Nannee (FA)

We can also assume that these following WR free agents will command too much money or are RFA's, so they would not fall into this category of middle/lower tiered:

---Greg Jennings
---Mike Wallace
---Dwayne Bowe
---Danny Amendola
---Victor Cruz (RFA)
---Emanuel Sanders (RFA)

Does anyone have any idea or opinons on any of these "lesser" free agent WRs who may be more realistic and cost effective? The WR corps is pretty much depleted, so we're somewhat likely to be signing someone off of this list at some point in time.

Highlighted would be my choices in each area.

Obviously all of this is stipulated on the $$ situation adding up

Re-sign Julian Edelman. He was explosive when healthy.

Sign Brian Hartline. He's younger than Welker, and a bigger target.

Sign Johnny Knox. He's an under the radar guy who won't cost much money. Could probably put up about 600-900 receiving yards with Brady. Not amazing, but a solid depth guy who can catch short passes and deep passes.

Draft a WR in Round 1 of the draft. There's a lot of depth in this years WR class. Go with the Best WR available.

cruz is staying in NY..i think IIRC they may already have a contract in place

Sign Johnny Knox. He's an under the radar guy who won't cost much money. Could probably put up about 600-900 receiving yards with Brady. Not amazing, but a solid depth guy who can catch short passes and deep passes.

Draft a WR in Round 1 of the draft. There's a lot of depth in this years WR class. Go with the Best WR available.

I was this draft to go to D this year as well...where we need help the most

I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but I edited Knox off the list about 5 minutes into the original thread. He falls into a weird category like Myron Pryor where they both remained on PUP all year, so either one are free agents. I suppose the website hasn't made any changes yet, so you'll still see him on a lot of lists, but I caught that one myself.

It's a different S.Smith apparently. I guess there are two. This one is potentially my mistake since I didn't realize there were two. I think I must have seen S.Smith and I went ahead and incorrectly assumed it was CAR.

It turns out he signed a deal last spring, but there had been a lot of talk about him last year, so that's probably why I made the wrong assumption.

Apologies. The thread would not allow me to edit S.Smith due to it having been too long ago. The rest of the list is correct.

I was this draft to go to D this year as well...where we need help the most

Obviously best case we re-sign Welker to a longer term pact which will lower the cap hit, then do a couple of restructures/ 2 yr extension for #12 to free up more money.

We could target some nice FA's on the defense this way, keep the offense basically the same with potential upgrade, and still grab some nice young players in the draft in April.

I'd prefer that they signed one of the free agent safeties this year, then drafted a CB in rounds 1-3 to shore up the secondary.

Pick #2 or #3 could be a WR, or vice versa.

I'd prefer that they signed one of the free agent safeties this year, then drafted a CB in rounds 1-3 to shore up the secondary.

that hasn't worked for the past 5 years

Huh? What hasn't worked? Devin McCourty at safety paired up with any number of top tier free agent safeties that come at a position that is somewhat affordable for a top notch player?

I didn't remember that happening yet...

As far as the CB position goes, it HAS worked, just not to the degree that we'd have liked it to.

I can think of two names off the top of my head that worked just fine...McCourty and Dennard. They are also our top 2 secondary players moving forward.

Yes, I'd much rather go top notch FA at safety which is much more cost efficient and deeper, then overpay at the position of FA CB. That only leaves one other way to get another cornerback....you tell me what it is?

And since you're keeping tabs and all, I'd love to hear about the success rate of all of those top round WR's who have worked out here, while you're at it?

You know, the ones who don't even grasp the playbook and have trouble lining up in the proper formation?

I agree with you that we'll need to take a flier at the WR position in the top rounds of the draft..yet again, but they'd have to hit quite a HR to guarantee the kind of production that we'll need for next season, and not in 2014 when they finally come off of their red-shirt year.

The secondary is as much of a need as the WR position, arguably more, since that is the side of the ball that continuously allows back breaking TD drives to lose big games.

The WR position is certainly important, but not nearly as much if they retain Welker. Regardless, the safety class in free agency is where it's at. It's affordable, it brings proven vets with talented experience, and it's probably the best solution out there. That includes resigning Talib, who hasn't earned a damn thing but a 1-2 yr deal at below market value (unless you deem his market value to be in the range of approx. 6 million per year at the highest end).

The positions of WR and CB will need to be addressed in 2 ways. One via the draft, and one via middle/lower level free agency, those are the only realistic ways cap wise...unless you are planning on getting rid of Welker which is then a whole new ballgame and instantly weakens our record setting offensive production.

Victor Cruz and Danny Amendola interest me but both are likely getting big extensions.

Not sure you want S.Smith though. Hes not exactly NE material. He can catch, but he can also start 16 fights a year, and the guy a thug.

VictorCruz would be the perfect fast, jump-ball, vertical threat.

I'd pay him 10m/yr easy. But that's me.

If Welker leaves, Hartline would be much better option than Edelman.

Not sure you want S.Smith though. Hes not exactly NE material. He can catch, but he can also start 16 fights a year, and the guy a thug.
Personally, I think New England needs some more players who enjoy playing like thugs at the right time, especially on D. ;)

Personally, I think New England needs some more players who enjoy playing like thugs at the right time, especially on D. ;)

ok, lol, I can see that, but smith has the IQ of a ceiling fan, and the mind set of a rapper wanna be. Everyone in the NFCS knows this. Just no other fans.

He will start fights
Dolphins CB Vontae Davis, Panthers WR Steve Smith Fight - YouTube

and he has not problem bashing Brady
Steve Smith Unhappy With Cam Newton: Panthers WR Says He Called Out QB During Loss To Giants

I think you want tough players, not playas, lol

As has already been pointed out, the Steve Smith who is a free agent is not the Steve Smith who's been playing for Carolina. He's the Steve Smith who's been playing for the Rams, formerly of the Giants and Eagles. He hasn't been the same since he had microfracture surgery on his knee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back