PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger and Reiss go at it over Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry you don't understand the dynamics involved when a reporter is embedded with a professional sports team. There's a reason critics of any team are rarely media members that spend their working days with the teams. To think the access deals and mutually beneficial "arrangements" are isolated only to Fenway Park only is completely naive. All teams have ways to get "their side of the story" out and reporters often cringe but comply because their job depends on access. Without it, they become obsolete in a competitive industry. My wife was a news reporter for years and I am more than familiar with how the game is played. Access and deals...and some news dribbles out occasionally. The NFL home office feeds Schefter. NFL GMs feed King. Agents feed Borges. The Patriots feed Reiss. Pro sports is really just entertainment and everyone has a role and the pieces always fit together.
What's really puzzling in this pushback is the total dismissal of similar sentiments by two former embedded beat reporters that clearly know how the reporter/team game gets played. Felger called out Reiss for some homer reporting and I absolutely concur. I caught a few slanted Reiss pieces in the past few weeks and knew how un-Reiss-like the sentiments were for such a middle of the road writer. Clearly he was being steered and the extra critical types could argue he was being used.

I'm sure you believe Bedard is in the Patriots' pockets also (if you do, you don't know his work).

-After a full rundown on the moves of the past 2 days, he sums up:

"......Patriots have done a great job gauging this market. Stellar. We'll just see if they get the right pieces, again...... "

Talib, Wilson and state of Patriots free agency - Extra Points - Boston.com

Please, you lost all credibility when you claimed ESPN, of all things, is a Patriot water carrier. Perhaps now you will claim the same for the Globe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by borg
Sorry you don't understand the dynamics involved when a reporter is embedded with a professional sports team. There's a reason critics of any team are rarely media members that spend their working days with the teams. To think the access deals and mutually beneficial "arrangements" are isolated only to Fenway Park only is completely naive. All teams have ways to get "their side of the story" out and reporters often cringe but comply because their job depends on access. Without it, they become obsolete in a competitive industry. My wife was a news reporter for years and I am more than familiar with how the game is played. Access and deals...and some news dribbles out occasionally. The NFL home office feeds Schefter. NFL GMs feed King. Agents feed Borges. The Patriots feed Reiss. Pro sports is really just entertainment and everyone has a role and the pieces always fit together.
What's really puzzling in this pushback is the total dismissal of similar sentiments by two former embedded beat reporters that clearly know how the reporter/team game gets played. Felger called out Reiss for some homer reporting and I absolutely concur. I caught a few slanted Reiss pieces in the past few weeks and knew how un-Reiss-like the sentiments were for such a middle of the road writer. Clearly he was being steered and the extra critical types could argue he was being used.

While everything Felger says is 100% true, right? I guess you dont know how it works, Felger is there to entertain, not get facts, his job is to rile the masses til they're foaming at the mouth and start calling into his radio station, thats how his game is played. Personally I want facts before I form an opinion and the day I form an opinion from something Felger says is the day I stop following sports and tune into TMZ instead.

LOL...yeah then we have Felger defender of the truth and objectivity! Of course, he never has any sources whispering into his ear with agendas to push. :rofl:

From the 10 minutes or so I listened, sounded like Felger got the better of Reiss.

No, he's just more glib. Don't confuse style with substance.

I always crack up when someone thinks i want people with no access to criticize the team. I actually want information.

I suppose those melodramas, where the saintly agent is just trying to protect poor Wes as the evil Belichik forecloses on him and attempts to tie him to the railroad track are good for ratings, but I'd rather just get accurate info.

You don't get it. Reiss' "speculation" turns into reality in 2 hours? The Pats are feeding this guy. Nothing wrong with that, that's his job. But it is becoming clearer that his opinions are steered by the organization. It's the nature of the business.
Local Boston reporters turned a blind eye during the '11 Sox melt down and it took national reporters to dig the dirt. And remember how quick local beat writers attacked the validity of Yahoo's news. Don't be naive to think the Red Sox are the only team in town to "own" local media.
Access has its advantages and limitations. It seems the "Pats do no wrong" crowd now includes Reiss under its protection, but Felger, a reporter that played the game and knows the rules gets vilified for daring to call it as he sees it.

You want someone to form your opinions for you? I guess that's all right.

I always crack up when someone thinks i want people with no access to criticize the team. I actually want information.

I suppose those melodramas, where the saintly agent is just trying to protect poor Wes as the evil Belichik forecloses on him and attempts to tie him to the railroad track are good for ratings, but I'd rather just get accurate info.

.... and which idiot reporter will be the first to get the "We only discuss players on the team" answer. ;)

I agree ... I read the drama ... but seriously ... these are people making millions and we have people in the media singing cry me a river ... I want info and I root for the uniform IMO. Curran and Reiss are good at info.

Last edited:
I don't think it's always about Felger's quest for controversy. As Reiss says about B.Lloyd, some folks are wired differently. Reiss is superb at seeing the many sides to a complex picture. As a result, he's less likely to stick the blame on personality and more likely to blame the situation.

Yes, it's about the ratings, but Felger has a history of blaming personality (Moss, Belichick, whomever) and I do think that's who he is. Blaming personality never gives a balanced perspective.

Kudos to Reiss for exiting his comfort zone and taking on those two blowhards.

3b. Even though we don't see it the same way on Welker's departure, I want to thank Michael Felger and Tony Massarotti for giving me the forum to defend myself on their Boston-based sports radio show Friday. When someone questions your integrity and says you are in the bag for the team, it can't go unchecked. It was good to air out our differences.

I hope most people understand that the idea is to be in the bag for the truth, and that anyone in this position should be talking to well-placed sources at both sides of the negotiating table in hopes of ascertaining as close to an accurate picture of what unfolded as possible.

If you enter with an agenda-free goal of being as fair as possible, and convey that, the hope is that it earns the trust of both sides. That's what resulted in these two stories -- 1. how the Patriots & Wes Welker parted ways; and 2. how the business side bit Welker.

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I just read the article. Extremely professional. Giving thanks to those in providing a forum but at the same time directly confronting those same people when your integrity is not just questioned but blatantly crapped on.

In SI today......WW agent Dunn states ....NO Patriot offer ever. Of course Reiss wrote the Patriots had given WW an offer, contradicting several reports stating WW was waiting for first offer ever

" Perhaps Wes Welker's agent David Dunn and his client misread the market. Dunn disputes the idea Welker's market was misjudged. The Patriots simply didn't want Welker is the contention. The two-year, $16 million offer the Boston Globe reported Welker having dangled during the 2010 season that would have covered Welker in 2011 and 2012 never happened, said Dunn. No offer was ever made, Dunn contends. Period. ... I asked Dunn why Welker would contend he went to Denver because he wanted to be with a winner when he was leaving a team that is 39-9 over the last three regular seasons. He returned to the notion the Patriots didn't want Welker. [Danny Amendola] was the plan all along, he believes."

CSNNE.com

Another confirmation that Reiss was being used as a PR device by the NEP.

Let's review....

Reiss writes both sides are optimistic.....yet no offer ever while WW is seeking 3/$24 mill.

Reiss writes NEP have given WW an offer but agent says offer never existed. Can't imagine Reiss' inaccurate reporting was coming from Welker's side.

Finally....Reiss offers his personal analysis that Talib may end up with 1 year prove it contract. Then low and behold, 2 hours later, the 1 year Talib contract gets announced. What amazing analysis!!!! And just a coincidence???? Looks like the NEP tossed Reiss a bone after a rough week.

In SI today......WW agent Dunn states ....NO Patriot offer ever. Of course Reiss wrote the Patriots had given WW an offer, contradicting several reports stating WW was waiting for first offer ever

" Perhaps Wes Welker's agent David Dunn and his client misread the market. Dunn disputes the idea Welker's market was misjudged. The Patriots simply didn't want Welker is the contention. The two-year, $16 million offer the Boston Globe reported Welker having dangled during the 2010 season that would have covered Welker in 2011 and 2012 never happened, said Dunn. No offer was ever made, Dunn contends. Period. ... I asked Dunn why Welker would contend he went to Denver because he wanted to be with a winner when he was leaving a team that is 39-9 over the last three regular seasons. He returned to the notion the Patriots didn't want Welker. [Danny Amendola] was the plan all along, he believes."

CSNNE.com

Let's review....

Reiss writes both sides are optimistic.....yet no offer ever while WW is seeking 3/$24 mill.

Reiss writes NEP have given WW an offer but agent says offer never existed. Can't imagine Reiss' inaccurate reporting was coming from Welker's side.

Finally....Reiss offers his personal analysis that Talib may end up with 1 year prove it contract. Then low and behold, 2 hours later, the 1 year Talib contract gets announced. What amazing analysis!!!! And just a coincidence???? Looks like the NEP tossed Reiss a bone after a rough week.

The 5th Kraft son

The 5th Kraft son

Full link of story penned by Curran with this snippet...

"No offer was ever made, Dunn contends. Period.

If that were the case, there was no two-year, $10 million offer plus incentives that could have pumped the deal up to $16 million.

That offer was reported by Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston, who wrote on Friday, "The last proposal from the Patriots was a two-year, $10 million pact that could have been worth up to $16 million with incentives (although in Welker's eyes a good chunk of those would have been tough to reach)."

If there were no offer, it confounds how Reiss would be able to report that the incentives in a non-existent offer were unattainable in the eyes of Welker."

Agent maintains Patriots didn't want Welker | Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com

Full link of story penned by Curran with this snippet...

"No offer was ever made, Dunn contends. Period.

If that were the case, there was no two-year, $10 million offer plus incentives that could have pumped the deal up to $16 million.

That offer was reported by Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston, who wrote on Friday, "The last proposal from the Patriots was a two-year, $10 million pact that could have been worth up to $16 million with incentives (although in Welker's eyes a good chunk of those would have been tough to reach)."

If there were no offer, it confounds how Reiss would be able to report that the incentives in a non-existent offer were unattainable in the eyes of Welker."

Agent maintains Patriots didn't want Welker | Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com

You would have to believe the agent.

You would have to believe the agent.

More interesting to me is how the boys at Comcast... Felger, Mas and Curran... are going after Reiss in a not so subtle manner.

One point...Can we now all agree that the Reiss sourcing for his WW stories is clearly the NEP.

CSNNE.com

Let's review....

Reiss can only report the information that is given to him, with attribution. That is what he is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes