PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Feeling Good: Forston and Cunningham

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Diabetes Type II diagnosed over ten years ago. For the good of Love, he simply can't stay in the NFL. His doctors ha surely ve told him that he has to lose 50-65 pounds if he wants to control the disease. It must have been pretty severe before being noticed, as his weight changed dramatically. :eek:

If he were a WR he could combine the NFL with saving his life; but as a NT/DT he cannot. He can't play his NFL position at 240-250 pounds, if that.

He is better off living and seeing his kid grow up, than a few more years in the NFL.:(

Good Luck Mr. Love in whatever you do.

I agree...I believe that if Love is to control this disease he will have to lose quite a bit of weight to start and for a DL,that is a killer thing to have to do.

NE knew this was going to be a requirement to keep Love's health in good shape and could not see him lose 20lbs or more and be as productive in pass rush/stopping the run and if Love is to continue his career AND remain in good health,he will have some life changes to do.

Diabetes can also take its toll on athletes,especially if you are playing in such a rough sport and being on the field for a long time,everyone is different and reacts to this disease differently,some can get to a point where they can pass out,some go about their lives normally without problem.

My wife has type 2 diabetes and I know sometimes she feels lethargic and weak and sometimes she simply feels great - every day is not the same as before for some people,even with proper medication and bad food restraint.

.....no one knows if Love will be able to continue his career with this disease and NE choose not to take a chance and let him go.

This story might be false and it could be something else between him and the F.O.,but it all points to Diabetes as the factor to him being released.

Guess i have to root for him since i went to grad school at USF Bulls.

What about Jay Cutler, who has type 1 diabetes?

A QB can play at a weight that the doctors would recomend that a diabetic get down to. If Cutler is e.g. 210#s, with little body fat, he can play. Diabetes is really a disease that his body can't handle carbohydrates. The ideal diet is protein and vegetables, with little or no fats sugars or starches and carbohydrates, for a diabetic.

He just needs to monitor his blood sugar level, and take appropriate foods and/or insulin to keep it in the normal range of 85-125 Mg/cc.
Below that range and he can faint or have a dangerous reaction. Above that range he is slowly destroying his body. A nondiabetic automatically produces the appropriate amount of insulin to keep his blood sugar or return it to the "normal range"

A Type I diabetic can not produce ANY insulin.

A Type II diabetic can't produce ENOUGH insulin. If a Type II reduces his size, the amount he can produce, may be enough. That is why they tell Type II diabetics to get lighter. Certain drugs stimulate the body to make more, perhaps enough insulin.

But both types of diabetics are told to exercise and playing football is certainly a form of exercise.

At 6'1" I'd bet his doctor told him to get under 220#; and you can't play NT at that weight.

As reported above...Jags didn't take long to claim Kyle. GL to him.

Stay healthy

WTF? I thought there was already a 20 page thread dedicated to diabetes?

Good to see Belichick remaking DT into a more athletic unit, they will need it going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News