PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Expectations for the Defense

Deaderick was below average at worst (but just average at best). I don't think that cut was related to his play.

Not entirely, but they were perfectly comfortable letting him go, which likely wouldn't have happened if they thought he was any great shakes.

When Belichick wants to cut a player for non-football reasons, he simply does it. It doesn't matter whether he has replacements or not. Lloyd, Deaderick and Love are this year's examples.

If Deaderick had no issues, he certainly would have been kept to compete with Vellano as a backup DT.

Not entirely, but they were perfectly comfortable letting him go, which likely wouldn't have happened if they thought he was any great shakes.

When Belichick wants to cut a player for non-football reasons, he simply does it. It doesn't matter whether he has replacements or not. Lloyd, Deaderick and Love are this year's examples.

If Deaderick had no issues, he certainly would have been kept to compete with Vellano as a backup DT.

They wanted Love to stay and even offered to pay him for a year on IR while he found a manageable diet. He requested to be released. I also know for a fact that Moss had become a problem long before 2010.

Play on the field are absolutely a factor in NE's decision making. I don't doubt that Deaderick is an NFL caliber player - I even said so in the post you quoted - but if he were a plus player they wouldn't have dismissed him so cavalierly.

Almost 4 weeks of preseason. What do we know/suspect?

I don't know why (maybe just really busy), but I haven't been as attuned to the preseason as much this year as in previous years. Doesn't mean I'm less of a fan, just busier...I guess.

I was trying to think about this year's team and I keep coming up with a common answer. We'll just have to wait and see (though pretty much all teams have that same question. With the Pats, we generally know what we will be getting).

What I (think) I know

Brady may be another year older, but I don't see any downside to his decision making or arm strength. We'll have to see how well he feels at the end of the season (to see if there's any decline due/less ability to recover from a football week). Still, BB would manage that if it' becomes an issue as TB will never admit it (if it happens).

DL Depth is an issue. I feel good about the starters, but get less excited after that.

What I suspect

2nd year defensive players will be greatly improved. Maybe not all of them, but counting on some of these guys to really help this team. Thinking mostly linebackers, but applies to most defensive positions with 2nd year guys.

Danny Amendola will fit right in. Won't be the same as WW and still needs some work. I don't really recall WW, but I do recall picking him up in the 7th round of FF that year and not regretting it.

One rookie WR, probably Thompkins will contribute 50 receptions this year. Sudfeld (assuming he secures the rock) should be close to that as well.

Running game. I honestly put this in here, but I have no idea what to expect. However, I think it will be glorious for our team.

What am I missing, what do you guys believe/suspect.

My point is that Deaderick was good enough to compete with the likes of Forston, Grisson, Vellano and Vallone.

They wanted Love to stay and even offered to pay him for a year on IR while he found a manageable diet. He requested to be released. I also know for a fact that Moss had become a problem long before 2010.

Play on the field are absolutely a factor in NE's decision making. I don't doubt that Deaderick is an NFL caliber player - I even said so in the post you quoted - but if he were a plus player they wouldn't have dismissed him so cavalierly.

My point is that Deaderick was good enough to compete with the likes of Forston, Grisson, Vellano and Vallone.

You won't get any disagreement with me, I said so in my initial post. :cool:

Expectations for the defense are hard to describe. I actually saw some good things out of them in the Detroit game in only giving up 16 points when the offense turned the ball over 4 times. That game could have easily been 31 - 0 at half time but the D put on thier big boy pants and forced field goals. With the exception of one Reggie Bush screen they kept big plays to a minimum and that was playing vanilla scemes. Ninkovich made several noteable plays and i am excited to see what him, Jones, and Kelly can do over a season.

The people who are saying top 5 D and records are on crack. This D has too many holes and question marks without the star power to be that kind of win the superbowl solelly because of it sort of defense. What it does have is some nice pieces that will do what Bill asks them to do. There are three stats I believe have the potential to be top 10 caliber which are, listed in order of possibillity, turnovers, points against, and rushing yards.

So my expectations can be broken down into three catagories

The good
Chandler Jones looks the part of a superstar pass rushing defensive end and if healthy I expect him to lead the team with 10 - 12 sacks with 50 or so overall sprinkled out among many candiates. More then enough to be a playoff caliber Defense. I think one thing that gets lost from the superbowl years is we rarely had one guy with 10+ sacks. It was the confusion and having to pick up and focus on everyone that lead to a good superbowl winning pass rush. In my mind it is simular to WR's. Do you want one superstar catching 40% of your offense or 4 pretty good ones so there is no one place to focus.

The linebacking core is easily the strength of the D with 3 very solid starters. The only problem, and it was the same as last year, is they are all very big and primarily built to stop the run. Between Vince, Hightower, Spikes, and Mayo I believe it will be very difficult to run on the pats in any tradition sets. What I am concerned about is the fast elusive backs like CJ Spiller and Reggie Bush. What the LB's lack in speed they make up for in smarts, intuition, and feriosity so I am not overly concerned. Mayo will again get 120+ tackles plus 2 picks, 2 FF, and a sack or two. Spikes is a play maker and I think will get 6 FF, a pick and a couple sacks with Hightower being a combination of the two 3-4 FF, a pick, and a couple sacks.

The acceptable
Starting secondary with Talib, Dennard, and Arrington looks better then it has in awhile. That said it is today's NFL and they will give up a ton of yards especially with the offenses they will be facing. Saints, Falcons, Denver are all on the schedule. With the clear strength being the front 7 opponets throwing the ball 60+% of the time would not surprise me at all. Being thrown at that many times leads to oppurtunites and I think turnovers make or break this group. If the turnover ratio is +25 for the season then the pats are in great shape. If it is only +10 they are in serious trouble as the offense won't be AS potent due to rookie mistakes and a learning curve. I want to be positive so I'll go with 6-7 picks for talib, 5 for McCourty, 4 for Dennard, and 3 for Arrington.

The Ugly
The second safety spot is a mess right now and good safetly play is critical in todays NFL. The amount of resources that have been spent (including moving Devin) for the output is appaling. I know alot of people have gotten on bill for his poor WR drafting but IMO he's safetly drafting has been worse. With the offenses that will be played this year I expect far too many 3 and 8+ conversions. That has been a maddening trend that I do not excpect to change and will keep this D from being considered one of the best. I would bet that they give up 4000+ yards thru the air over the course of the season.

Depth is awful almost across the board. I pray for health because anywhere with the exception of linebacker is very shallow and while the starters are good the back ups are not.

So overall I expect more of the same with slightly better numbers. Fantastic run D, timely turnovers, keep them out of the endzone but give up a lot of FG's, and give up a ton of passing yards.

Re: Almost 4 weeks of preseason. What do we know/suspect?

What I Know :
Brady will be as good as ever.

Belichick will have a great year. He seems to be a little better coach as an underdog than as a frontrunner.

Our Second starting Safety will be below average - at best.

What I Suspect :

Our running game won't be as good unless we run a lot of hurry up again.

Hightower will be a valuable, versatile player but won't be the playmaker that many would like for a first round pick.

McCourtey will make the pro bowl - as a Safety.

The pass defense will struggle again as the secondary STILL hasn't been fixed.

Tommy Kelley and Vince will make a beast of a DT pair.

A Longshot :
Forget it, it was something about Dowling :(

Re: Almost 4 weeks of preseason. What do we know/suspect?

3 Rookies will have 50+ Recs. So will Vareen. 1# offense in the league. We will give up 14.9 ppg. Tebow is instrumental in 3 wins (legs)

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
Back