PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPNews: Goodell issues statement: "Pats violated league policy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This must be the "Official jump to conclusions" thread.

Goodell said that the Patriots violated NFL rules. He didn't say "the Patriots cheated and it changed the outcome of a game". I'm listening to Don Banks and he said that the 'sanctions" may be a second day pick or two. He doubts if there is a suspension. In fact, he would be shocked.

This is only because all 32 teams were warned about it. So, the Rules Committee will review it and there will probably be a second day pick(s).

So, I think we should all calm down about this and ignore the trolls.

Actually, thanks. I am going a bit insane over all of this crap, as I think we all are. Thanks for being a voice of reason!

The ESPN story said 'severe' sanctions, and possibly multiple picks. That's what got everyone worked up. I don't know where the forefit/suspension talk came from.

Thanks for the Banks info.

I bet people saw the word "forfeiture" and fainted before they got to "of picks."

Also, PlattsFan, great rant and you just became the first person I've ever sigged.

I forget the exact wording that PATSNUTme referred to exactly but he was right that when Banks was on FSNE he said he would be surprised if a first day pick were involved but he could see multiple second day picks.

If we keep our two #1s, #2 and the Raiders' #3 - whatever :D

You are too damn naive to understand how anything works.

You drone on and on about teams with their homer glasses on. Take your on off, dumb*ss! I know for a fact that after your Fizzles lose to the Pats on Sunday, you'll be right back here screaming how it was only because the Pats cheated.
I'm calling it right now. You idiots will actually be back here saying how the Pats found some new way to cheat to win, with the entire league watching them. And like, the morons that you dolts are, you'll actually believe that drivel.
I'd tell you to your face on your pathetic bandwagon forums, but that regional lockout Sh!t makes it difficult.
I know you haven't been watching football for very long, but if you don't think that every team out there is trying to get a competitive advantage, then YOUR "homer" glasses are clearly glued to your face. There are several thread already on this forum, of camera men coming forward and admitting that every team, yes EVERY team does it. Even your pathetic Fizzles. Mangina just needed an excuse for getting his damn face kicked in.
I'd really like to hear from you how the camera man recorded the signals, then signaled them back to the coaches. Then the coaches match up the signal with the play. Then they determine the correct offense to use before the play clock expires. No spin here, dolt.

Seriously, tell me how they make adjustments in time like that. I can't wait to hear you answer. And remember, keep the "homer" glasses off.

You are grasping. This has nothing to do with "homer glasses". You are the homer who is in denial that your team cheats.

The whole league is not under investigation. The New England Patriots are.

Other teams might take film, but the Patriots are also under investigation for stealing radio signals. How pathetic is that? That is an embarassment to the NFL and Belichek should be suspended.

You know maybe LT was on to something when he said the Patriots have no class and it all starts with their coach. Patriot fans sound rather foolish now for calling out that statement. So much for the big bulletin material that LT joked with reporters that the patriots cheat. Gee I guess they do.

As for the game, the Chargers will give the Patriots all they can handle and then some.

Other teams might take film, but the Patriots are also under investigation for stealing radio signals. How pathetic is that? That is an embarassment to the NFL and Belichek should be suspended.

Uh, no, they aren't. Shows how little you know.

You are grasping. This has nothing to do with "homer glasses". You are the homer who is in denial that your team cheats.

You know maybe LT was on to something when he said the Patriots have no class and it all starts with their coach. Patriot fans sound rather foolish now for calling out that statement. So much for the big bulletin material that LT joked with reporters that the patriots cheat. Gee I guess they do.

As for the game, the Chargers will give the Patriots all they can handle and then some.

Hey Mods. It's time to start handing out bans. It would be nice to discuss this stuff among fans and get the trolls out of here. Normally I'm okay with having opposing fans around, but all they're going to do is point fingers and yell "cheater." Maybe a week long ban for all chargers fans? They can come back after they get their asses handed to them in Gilette.

I get a kick out of all these idiots on ESPN and some of the other coaches who are weighing in now trying to pretend this is something new with stealing signs----bunch of hypocrites.

As someone else pointed out, that will almost certainly never happen, because certain people [a lot of them in Las Vegas, which the NFL, nod, nod, wink, wink, hates] would revolt.

That was why I said "unthinkable" :p

The implication was that I am going beyond the most likely worst case scenerio.

I'm sure you guys looked like world beaters against the quarterback challenged bears, I'm sure were shaking.

Radio signals? better stop making stuff up. :bricks:
You'd better hope the Charger can handle the Pats. I don't think we could live with 6 more months of your moronic b*tching.
You know that the Pats are under a microscope because of their long dominance. Same stuff the Cowboys were accused of back in the day, not that you would know, you weren't watching the NFL yet.
And once again, you fail to answer my question, just like the no-nothing, bandwagon, stupid spin doctoring Fizzle fan that you are.

Last edited:
POSTED 6:01 p.m. EDT, September 11, 2007

PATS GUILTY OF CHEATING

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has concluded that the New England Patriots violated league rules when videotaping defensive signals being sent in from the sidelines by Jets coaches during Sunday's game at the Meadowlands.

NFL Security confiscated a camera and videotape from Pats employee Matt Estrella, a video assistant. Mort says that the evidence that was confiscated confirmed the suspicion.

And the punishment could be severe.

Mortensen reports that Goodell is considering the possibility of stripping the team of "multiple draft picks," given that he has issued a stern warning to all teams to avoid such behavior.

We'll echo what we said below about Claude Wroten and anyone who tests positive at the scouting combine. In this case, the persons responsible for doing this are either stupid, or they have a serious problem.

The Patriots previously had been linked to such behavior. And yet they kept on doing it.

Former defensive coordinator Eric Mangini is now the head coach of the Jets, and likely knew a thing or two about these practices in New England. And yet they kept on doing it.

In fact, we're told by a very good source that, when the Packers caught a Pats employee doing the same thing last season, the Packers knew exactly what to look for, and nailed the guy in the act. The Packers didn't press the issue only because they lost the game 35-0, and didn't want to complain under those circumstances.

The Pats' habits in this regard were so well known that, per the same source, Colts president Bill Polian had all on-field cameras removed for the 2006 AFC championship game.

Thus, the Patriots knew that other people know what was happening. And yet they kept on doing it.

If all of this is true, it reflects a dangerous amount of arrogance in that team's coaching staff. In fact, our guess is that, now that the poo has hit the propeller, whoever put this system in place will privately justify it after the fact by explaining that, in the end, the cost was far less than the benefits that have been derived.

And it makes us -- and likely many others -- wonder how far back all of this goes. How many Lombardis are potentially tainted? How many of the games during that record-setting winning streak?

Regardless of the lost draft picks, which mean much less in the salary cap era than they used to, there's now a stain on the NFL first dynasty of the new century. How far it spreads and how deep it goes remains to be seen.

I get a kick out of all these idiots on ESPN and some of the other coaches who are weighing in now trying to pretend this is something new with stealing signs----bunch of hypocrites.

mark schlereth just now said its a huge advantage to the offense if they go back at halftime and decipher the signals and avoid blitzes etc...

BB is being summonsed to NYC. . . .I'm embarrassed to be a Pats fan right now.:mad: :( :mad:

mark schlereth just now said its a huge advantage to the offense if they go back at halftime and decipher the signals and avoid blitzes etc...

How are they supposed to cue up, decipher, and match which signals to which defenses in 12 minutes?

POSTED 6:01 p.m. EDT, September 11, 2007

PATS GUILTY OF CHEATING

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has concluded that the New England Patriots violated league rules when videotaping defensive signals being sent in from the sidelines by Jets coaches during Sunday's game at the Meadowlands.

NFL Security confiscated a camera and videotape from Pats employee Matt Estrella, a video assistant. Mort says that the evidence that was confiscated confirmed the suspicion.

And the punishment could be severe.

Mortensen reports that Goodell is considering the possibility of stripping the team of "multiple draft picks," given that he has issued a stern warning to all teams to avoid such behavior.

We'll echo what we said below about Claude Wroten and anyone who tests positive at the scouting combine. In this case, the persons responsible for doing this are either stupid, or they have a serious problem.

The Patriots previously had been linked to such behavior. And yet they kept on doing it.

Former defensive coordinator Eric Mangini is now the head coach of the Jets, and likely knew a thing or two about these practices in New England. And yet they kept on doing it.

In fact, we're told by a very good source that, when the Packers caught a Pats employee doing the same thing last season, the Packers knew exactly what to look for, and nailed the guy in the act. The Packers didn't press the issue only because they lost the game 35-0, and didn't want to complain under those circumstances.

The Pats' habits in this regard were so well known that, per the same source, Colts president Bill Polian had all on-field cameras removed for the 2006 AFC championship game.

Thus, the Patriots knew that other people know what was happening. And yet they kept on doing it.

If all of this is true, it reflects a dangerous amount of arrogance in that team's coaching staff. In fact, our guess is that, now that the poo has hit the propeller, whoever put this system in place will privately justify it after the fact by explaining that, in the end, the cost was far less than the benefits that have been derived.

And it makes us -- and likely many others -- wonder how far back all of this goes. How many Lombardis are potentially tainted? How many of the games during that record-setting winning streak?

Regardless of the lost draft picks, which mean much less in the salary cap era than they used to, there's now a stain on the NFL first dynasty of the new century. How far it spreads and how deep it goes remains to be seen.

hey d-b

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014677

show me where Mort says 'cheating'

GFY

The thing that makes no sense is, THIS ISN'T ILLEGAL! It is in no way against the rules to have a guy stand on the sidelines, chart the plays and match them up to the signals, and figure out what they mean and then adjust off of them. It's not even against the rules to get game tape, network TV tape or archival footage and do the same thing. The only part of this that is against the rules is the use of a camera on the sidelines. Which is why it makes no sense - why does bringing a camera on the sidelines into the equation suddenly make it so abhorrent? All it does is allow you to archive the information more readily - it can't be used to make adjustments in real time any more than a guy standing there doing the same thing with a clipboard.

then become a Bears fan

Belichick has NOT been summoned to NYC

Belicheck has indeed been summoned to meet with Roger Goodell on Friday.

I just watched NFL Network and this firestorm is only beginning.Those of you who think this is no big deal, think again.

NFL Network reported that there is a large number of people around the NFL who are livid and want very strict punishment handed down. It went on to say that the Patriots actions may have affected games, divisional championships and cost people jobs. It seems Mike Tomlin had some comments also. Is he not classy like LT also?

You are in for a very tough week Patriot fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST