PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPNews: Goodell issues statement: "Pats violated league policy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: ESPN NEWS just said Goodell...

====================================

Yea you are correct, it will all still count as a game played.

The pats are in a whole different league the the Jets, the Jets will be getting beat by the Pats (soundly) for years, they are that much better of a football team, probably the best of this decade. Pats will probaly win the SB this year.

All these things I admit, but the Pats cheated in the Jets game, tainted the results, not one play of that game will ever be without the stink of CHEATING by the Pats, and as far as I am concerned will never be valid in my eyes.

Congrats on a great win,

Sir, you are normally a well-reasoned poster, but you are letting your emotions get the better of you on this one. There is no way that NE was able to garner anything meaningful from the camera during the game. It just isn't possible to do so during the game with limited time to do it and limited plays filmed.

If you want to take it to the next level and say that NE probably taped all three games last year and thus, all games are null and void, fine. But please let go of the fantasy that the camera had any impact on that game.

Yes blame it on Roger Goodell! It's all his fault!!

What a horrible man.He actually wants to do his job and protect the integrity of the game!!

Imagine that.

Sorry, I backed up my Goodell hatred in another thread and didn't bother to repeat. I think he will single-handedly ruin the image of this league with his overbearing punishments and this need to 'clean up' what was already the number one sport. Half the celebrated players we know -- LT, Namath, etc -- would be thrown out on their asses if Goodell was the Commish in their time. How would that have served NFL history? He'll cast a shadow on everything.

I think almost certainly it's used to prepare for future games, and compile information on a team's tendencies. Unless the camera guy is totally familiar with the defensive scheme and has a telepathic link with the coaching staff, how on earth could this be used to advantage during the game?
But then why would NE tape signals for teams it won't see for years, like the Packers? What is the point of that?

RG is a joke. If he had worked half as hard on player conduct issues last season there wouldn't have been a line of Bengals going to jail or the MV embarrassment this off season. He is simply picking on the Pats because this is an easy one and will make him look good.

Kind of like getting a speeding ticket. Everyone speeds but we happen to get caught. Much easier busting the speeder than arresting the real criminals out there.

Docking the Pats a pick would be an extreme punishment IMO.

For crying out loud half the fans out there don't even realize the Donks cheated and were docked a pick. Where are all the SD fans after that went down? Why weren't they crying for Shannahan's head then? I'll tell you why, because there were no SD fans around then. The "fans" now are nothing but a bunch of front runners/bandwagon jumpers.

Sir, you are normally a well-reasoned poster, but you are letting your emotions get the better of you on this one. There is no way that NE was able to garner anything meaningful from the camera during the game. It just isn't possible to do so during the game with limited time to do it and limited plays filmed.

If you want to take it to the next level and say that NE probably taped all three games last year and thus, all games are null and void, fine. But please let go of the fantasy that the camera had any impact on that game.

The Patriots have given "half time adjustments" a whole new meaning!

If there's a punishment, it won't be too harsh since the whole league is doing this. I'm sure evidence will start emerging on other teams with the same practices.

We did the same thing against the Packers last fall and we were warned and probably have done it other times, too. Whoever is responsible should be fined or fired, even if it's Belichick. This is pretty ridiculous. Is John Dean a team advisor?

The Packers didn't report it to the league last year, they just said something about it to the media.

If there's a punishment, it won't be too harsh since the whole league is doing this. I'm sure evidence will start emerging on other teams with the same practices.

Yup and then penalties will be handed out to everyone, competitive balance f-ed up and the whole repulation of the league damaged.

Great f-in job, Goodell.

But then why would NE tape signals for teams it won't see for years, like the Packers? What is the point of that?

Coaches change with regularity and the SB matters.

I can't stand the douche, but Felger nad a pretty fair-minded take on the whole issue yesterday. He talked about how BB probably has folders with information on virtually every relevent coach in the league and many that aren't anymore. You just don't know when you will need it.

Because they could see them in the Superbowl? I'd rather have that information than not, even if it never gets used. It's still tangential to the main point - why on earth is this even considered cheating? When our generals look at photos from spy satellites and reconnaissance planes to gain a tactical advantage in a war, is that "cheating"? Hell, when you look at your opponents pieces on the chess board, is that "cheating"? Circumventing the salary cap, THAT'S cheating. This is something that should be encouraged, not outlawed. It's a game based on strategy and misdirection, information is the lifeblood of the game. The more information available to coaching staffs, the better. I don't have a problem with the Dolphins getting game tapes of the Pats and figuring out their audibles, and I have no problem with this.

Anything is possible with this damn commish. :mad:

What a horrible man.He actually wants to do his job and protect the integrity of the game!!

Imagine that.

You are too damn naive to understand how anything works.

You drone on and on about teams with their homer glasses on. Take your on off, dumb*ss! I know for a fact that after your Fizzles lose to the Pats on Sunday, you'll be right back here screaming how it was only because the Pats cheated.
I'm calling it right now. You idiots will actually be back here saying how the Pats found some new way to cheat to win, with the entire league watching them. And like, the morons that you dolts are, you'll actually believe that drivel.
I'd tell you to your face on your pathetic bandwagon forums, but that regional lockout Sh!t makes it difficult.
I know you haven't been watching football for very long, but if you don't think that every team out there is trying to get a competitive advantage, then YOUR "homer" glasses are clearly glued to your face. There are several thread already on this forum, of camera men coming forward and admitting that every team, yes EVERY team does it. Even your pathetic Fizzles. Mangina just needed an excuse for getting his damn face kicked in.
I'd really like to hear from you how the camera man recorded the signals, then signaled them back to the coaches. Then the coaches match up the signal with the play. Then they determine the correct offense to use before the play clock expires. No spin here, dolt.

Seriously, tell me how they make adjustments in time like that. I can't wait to hear you answer. And remember, keep the "homer" glasses off.

Anything is possible with this damn commish. :mad:

Yes, Goodell is quite a bit less leniant that his predecessor. But I wouldn't blame him for this one. Frankly, if all this was going down on Indy I would think that most would hope for the most punishment possible.

Even if the unthinkable happens and BB is suspended for 4 games and a forfeit is awarded to the Jets, I still can't see this team not taking the East.

===================================

OK I am upset, pissed, pissed that we got are butts handed to us by the Pats, maybe I will feel different in a week or 2.

I do not see how the camera could of been of any significant help against us, lots of cheating going on in the NFL (holding, etc,) and every one looks the other way. I am sure the Jets have cheated before, on occasion at least.

Still I am pissed, that the Pats would do this means there must be some value in it.

I will give you you guys a break and not post anymore for a few days.

This must be the "Official jump to conclusions" thread.

Goodell said that the Patriots violated NFL rules. He didn't say "the Patriots cheated and it changed the outcome of a game". I'm listening to Don Banks and he said that the 'sanctions" may be a second day pick or two. He doubts if there is a suspension. In fact, he would be shocked.

This is only because all 32 teams were warned about it. So, the Rules Committee will review it and there will probably be a second day pick(s).

So, I think we should all calm down about this and ignore the trolls.

OK, fine, the Patriots are officially targeted by the league. I'm just gonna get going and assume the profanity filters will take care of things ... but first, I just want to say that I'm not fan-boy. I criticized the Patriots over the Ted Johnson thing, sided with Deion Branch and just about every other player, just generally haven't drunk the Beoli Kool-Aid. But this ...

What horse****. Complete and utter bull****. There's no way this same basic thing isn't done by dozens of other teams and there's no way any other team would get this treatment. I've had enough of the bull**** NFL and their blatant hypocrisy. Goodell is a joke, going out and making a statement like that. Violated league policy? What the hell is that?

This isn't baseball where the Yankees (and, to be honest, the Red Sox, too) can just run around outspending everyone and building an unfair playing field. The Patriots are just better and smarter than everyone else, and instead of just ******* dealing with that, the rest of the league has to get all jealous, claim Moss will be cut, spread rumors that Seymour's done for the year, and go crazy over the stupidest scandal in the history of the Western World.

OK, that's the way it is ... well, fine. I hope the Patriots run up every freaking score all year. I hope they go into the two-minute offense up by 50 points in the fourth quarter. I hope they dance on every team's logo from now until Super Bowl [insert pretentious Roman numerals here]. I hope they win the trophy and then shove it back into Goodell's hands and walk away. What a joke the NFL this whole farce is. Moss should score touchdowns running backwards just to rub it in. Maroney should moon the opposing team as he crosses the goal line. The defense should openly mock and laugh at opposing offenses when they're forced to punt. Screw. Them. All.

"Cheating" ... yeah, right. The Jets couldn't have won if the Pats ran the single-wing. Brady could've yelled out the play at the line of scrimmage like Pedro used to yell out his pitches to the batter, and the Jets still woulda lost by two touchdowns. Cheating ... please.

Run up the score, Patriots. Humiliate the league in every way possible.

Imagine that.

quick--how many players line up on either side of the ball--11?? 12???

quick--how long is the field--100 yards? 110???

just as I thought--a moron CFL fan that got lost on his way to the hash bar...

Goodell said that the Patriots violated NFL rules. He didn't say "the Patriots cheated and it changed the outcome of a game". I'm listening to Don Banks and he said that the 'sanctions" may be a second day pick or two. He doubts if there is a suspension. In fact, he would be shocked.

The ESPN story said 'severe' sanctions, and possibly multiple picks. That's what got everyone worked up. I don't know where the forefit/suspension talk came from.

Thanks for the Banks info.

Where's pony express at??

Beli-chek mate!

I think 2 first day picks would send the message that this wont be tolerated.The Pats were warned more than once about this and chose to ignore the commissioner and the league,thumbing their noses and doing it anyway.

Yes, Goodell is quite a bit less leniant that his predecessor. But I wouldn't blame him for this one. Frankly, if all this was going down on Indy I would think that most would hope for the most punishment possible.

Even if the unthinkable happens and BB is suspended for 4 games [I]and[/I] a forfeit is awarded to the Jets, I still can't see this team not taking the East.

As someone else pointed out, that will almost certainly never happen, because certain people [a lot of them in Las Vegas, which the NFL, nod, nod, wink, wink, hates] would revolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes