PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPNews: Goodell issues statement: "Pats violated league policy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB is being summonsed to NYC. . . .I'm embarrassed to be a Pats fan right now.:mad: :( :mad:

He should be fired if he directed the videotaping to be done. It's very shameful. It was 100% clear to the Pats that this was not acceptable by the league. You can't be told directly not to do something or else face serious consequences and then do that action. Every one of us would be fired on the spot for acting like that. This is a proud franchise that was once a laughingstock, and whoever was in charge of this needs to go. The Pats are bigger than one man.

Belicheck has indeed been summoned to meet with Roger Goodell on Friday.

I just watched NFL Network and this firestorm is only beginning.Those of you who think this is no big deal, think again.

NFL Network reported that there is a large number of people around the NFL who are livid and want very strict punishment handed down. It went on to say that the Patriots actions may have affected games, divisional championships and cost people jobs. It seems Mike Tomlin had some comments also. Is he not classy like LT also?

You are in for a very tough week Patriot fans.
Please, screw off.

It's kind of sad that this latest incident will forever taint BB and the NE franchise for all they've done in the past. If they're so worried about the Jets, I can only imagine what they've done to REAL teams. What's sad is I used to really respect BB and what he's accomplished in NE.

This is disappointing. I'm not all that worried about suspensions -- we'll deal with whatever it is, but I will reserve judgment on this until I know how widespread it is in the league, and there's no hard information on this other than the speculation going on on message boards.

It's just embarrassing if we did something that the teams were warned not to do. I don't want our team to be that team.

Reading the posts here is kind of funny. Would you all be minimizing it if the colts had done the same thing in the AFCC game and the commissioner had said they violated NFL policy? No way. Some of the minimizers would be maximizing it blaming the loss on it. Sure as I'm sitting here.

Both would be overreactions, but can we at least wait to learn what the facts are before we condemn or exonerate?

The thing that makes no sense is, THIS ISN'T ILLEGAL! It is in no way against the rules to have a guy stand on the sidelines, chart the plays and match them up to the signals, and figure out what they mean and then adjust off of them. It's not even against the rules to get game tape, network TV tape or archival footage and do the same thing. The only part of this that is against the rules is the use of a camera on the sidelines. Which is why it makes no sense - why does bringing a camera on the sidelines into the equation suddenly make it so abhorrent? All it does is allow you to archive the information more readily - it can't be used to make adjustments in real time any more than a guy standing there doing the same thing with a clipboard.

It doesn't matter whether the Pats and Belichick like the rule. They have to follow the rules anyway. The Pats are in an organization that has governing control over them. They are welcome to leave the NFL if they don't like RG's rules. No one is forcing the Pats to stay in the NFL. Of course, the Pats don't want to leave the NFL, so they need to just suck it up and follow the same rules everyone else has to. The league had made it clear to all teams this wasn't allowed. After that happened, the only thing left for the Pats to do was to follow that rule, but instead they cheated (which is breaking the rules for a competitive edge, after all).

It's kind of sad that this latest incident will forever taint BB and the NE franchise for all they've done in the past. If they're so worried about the Jets, I can only imagine what they've done to REAL teams. What's sad is I used to really respect BB and what he's accomplished in NE.

You should still respect him, as your team does it, as does every other team in the league, and moreso, there is nothing morally wrong with what the Patriots did, even if it is technically against the rules (which it should not be). Every team steals signals, EVERY team, other teams have used cameras even, and this is just a bunch of jealous people trying to make a common practice into a grievous offense to smear one of the best franchises in the league.

The thing that makes no sense is, THIS ISN'T ILLEGAL! It is in no way against the rules to have a guy stand on the sidelines, chart the plays and match them up to the signals, and figure out what they mean and then adjust off of them. It's not even against the rules to get game tape, network TV tape or archival footage and do the same thing. The only part of this that is against the rules is the use of a camera on the sidelines. Which is why it makes no sense - why does bringing a camera on the sidelines into the equation suddenly make it so abhorrent? All it does is allow you to archive the information more readily - it can't be used to make adjustments in real time any more than a guy standing there doing the same thing with a clipboard.

BECAUSE THAT IS THE LEAGUE RULE.

I'm a HARDCORE Pats Fan since the late 60s (born in the early 60s, sorry, European parents, couldn't get a jersey for my 1st birthday or anything...) and that's not about to change.

BUT I CANNOT STOMACH SAYING ONE THING ABOUT US WHEN WE WOULD SAY THE DIAMETRIC OPPOSITE ABOUT ANOTHER TEAM.

Yeah, tough couple of weeks. But let's not turn into ugly hypocritical apologists.

If this were a Chargers guy on our sideline getting caught, we wouldn't all suddenly be experts on how "everybody does it." Christ, Pats fans would openly ridicule anybody using the phrase "everybody does it" a few months ago.

I had no idea about the secret inside world of who is taping whom... I do know they had fun with Chuckie putting the playchart over his mouth so nobody could read his lips at the Tampa super bowl win.

Yeah Goodell's terrible for the league (now.) He was great for the league when he was a hardass with Vick and Pacman and the rest of the NFLons. Seems like he should be just as good for the league now.

So basically everybody is trying to steal signals, and everybody is staying within the lines... or, nobody was busted until this year... or.. or... or... whatever.

WE were the guys that got caught -- assuming the Patriots' case is not pursuasive.

I am still waiting to see actual stories regarding any other teams before joining the "everybody does it" chorus. We have no evidence of that, we just want it to be true.

I don't know what they're going to whine about when the Pats tear through the league to get it out of their systems. Yeah, that will be sweet to see. "I got your asterisk RIGHT HERE".

But as for my reaction to the story... it looks like BB got nailed. It's disappointing. But it sure as hell ain't Goodell's fault for making the call, and it ain't the Jets' fault for calling security.

Barring some huge reversal, it looks like its all over but the punishment.

To coin a phrase, it is what it is.

PFnV

It doesn't matter whether the Pats and Belichick like the rule. They have to follow the rules anyway. The Pats are in an organization that has governing control over them. They are welcome to leave the NFL if they don't like RG's rules. No one is forcing the Pats to stay in the NFL. Of course, the Pats don't want to leave the NFL, so they need to just suck it up and follow the same rules everyone else has to. The league had made it clear to all teams this wasn't allowed. After that happened, the only thing left for the Pats to do was to follow that rule, but instead they cheated (which is breaking the rules for a competitive edge, after all).

Reading comprehension, try it some time. I'm saying the rule makes no sense, not that the Patriots don't have to follow it, and should be scrapped immediately.

The Pats players should be the most pissed over this because they are lessened in everyone's eyes because the coaches couldn't obey the rules.

Uh, no, they aren't. Shows how little you know.

Uh yes they are.

From ESPN

"The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday's game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game. "

You are in the minority with this opinion, bro.

BECAUSE THAT IS THE LEAGUE RULE.

I'm a HARDCORE Pats Fan since the late 60s (born in the early 60s, sorry, European parents, couldn't get a jersey for my 1st birthday or anything...) and that's not about to change.

BUT I CANNOT STOMACH SAYING ONE THING ABOUT US WHEN WE WOULD SAY THE DIAMETRIC OPPOSITE ABOUT ANOTHER TEAM.

Yeah, tough couple of weeks. But let's not turn into ugly hypocritical apologists.

If this were a Chargers guy on our sideline getting caught, we wouldn't all suddenly be experts on how "everybody does it." Christ, Pats fans would openly ridicule anybody using the phrase "everybody does it" a few months ago.

I had no idea about the secret inside world of who is taping whom... I do know they had fun with Chuckie putting the playchart over his mouth so nobody could read his lips at the Tampa super bowl win.

Yeah Goodell's terrible for the league (now.) He was great for the league when he was a hardass with Vick and Pacman and the rest of the NFLons. Seems like he should be just as good for the league now.

So basically everybody is trying to steal signals, and everybody is staying within the lines... or, nobody was busted until this year... or.. or... or... whatever.

WE were the guys that got caught -- assuming the Patriots' case is not pursuasive.

I am still waiting to see actual stories regarding any other teams before joining the "everybody does it" chorus. We have no evidence of that, we just want it to be true.

I don't know what they're going to whine about when the Pats tear through the league to get it out of their systems. Yeah, that will be sweet to see. "I got your asterisk RIGHT HERE".

But as for my reaction to the story... it looks like BB got nailed. It's disappointing. But it sure as hell ain't Goodell's fault for making the call, and it ain't the Jets' fault for calling security.

Barring some huge reversal, it looks like its all over but the punishment.

To coin a phrase, it is what it is.

PFnV

Sorry, but we do have evidence. The Eagles went to great lengths to prevent the Packers from stealing signals THIS PAST WEEKEND. If you don't believe EVERY team in the league does its damndest to steal signals, you are naive. And if the places were reversed, and the Jets beat us down and managed to steal signals in the process to do it, I'd say I hate the Jets and congratulations, because they didn't do anything wrong. The fact remains, that if it is legal (AND IT IS) to have an assistant stand on the sidelines and steal signals by eyesight, it should be legal to do so with a camera, since cameras are used everywhere else. The Patriots broke the rules, and thus should be punished, but the fact remains that the rule is stupid and morally, if not legally, they did nothing wrong.

Uh yes they are.

From ESPN

"The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday's game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game. "

Yes, that's about using a number of radio frequencies, not stealing the other team's. Learn to read.

You are in the minority with this opinion, bro.

doesn't mean he's not right.

that's pretty much the long and short of it.

the league has plenty of stupid rules. this is one of them.

there is no competitive advantage to videotaping signals. they can be documented in any number of legal ways.

Reading comprehension, try it some time. I'm saying the rule makes no sense, not that the Patriots don't have to follow it, and should be scrapped immediately.

I can read just fine. You're like Michael Vick saying that it should be okay to soak dogs and electrocute them. All of your talk about that it should be okay is totally irrelevant.

The Pats players should be the most pissed over this because they are lessened in everyone's eyes because the coaches couldn't obey the rules.

Would you want to be Ellis Hobbs today?

Christ on a crutch, what would that feel like?

Anyway - here's hoping the Pats' case is pursuasive, or that somehow, this is not at all what it appears to all parties... somehow I doubt that.

Of course, when the coach costs you a penalty you can't make him run wind sprints all morning... although I can more readily see this turning into an "us against the world" reaction than a "this team hates its coach" reaction.

PFnV

The league should let defensive players use radio headsets. The fact that they don't is ridiculously stupid and allows this behavior to continue. To be honest, the blame lies with the league a certain amount too.

Last edited:
The Patriots broke the rules, and thus should be punished, but the fact remains that the rule is stupid and morally, if not legally, they did nothing wrong.

Actually, morality dictates that you do the right thing even when you are the only righteous person. What code of morality and ethics do you subscribe to?

I think the only fair resolution would be to have the Patriots forfeit the game. How many times do you think they have done this in the past and not been caught? Send a message, reverse the win to a loss and give the Jets the win then that sures up that the Pats will never do this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents