PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Elway >>>>>>>>> Montana

Wrong.

Tom Brady is to Peyton Manning as Joe Montana is to Dan Marino.

Game.

Set.

Match.
I certainly respect that opinion and in all honesty there are flaws in both lines of thought because both Marino and Elway played in the AFC so there was no rivalry quite like Brady/Manning. Montana only met Elway in the SuperBowl and it was the tail end of his career.

Also Marino has no SB rings and only got there once. If Manning had never got his precious ring in 2006 I don't think Brady's detractors would be able to go run to Manning as their alternate.

I think I'd put Marino with Favre and make this a 3-some.

Those teams werent horrible, but they were pretty average.

So tell me, how does Montana do it stepping into a Rolls Royce everytime he went on the field.

People like to give Elway a lot of credit for "dragging bad teams in the Superbowl," but the truth is, those teams weren't horrible, and the AFC generally was, which is why he got them there, and why the NFC always absolutely destroyed it every year.

I actually give Elway a lot of credit as an all time great, but "better than Montana" (or Brady) is something only Bronco homers say and hold on to since they don't have much else.

If Davis didn't win him Superbowls, he would have retired without a ring, just like Marino did.
Elway was basically along for the ride on those last two runs.

Yep.

Elway was a great QuarterBack, and Marino's Superior, in my view.

But if it wasn't for Joe Gibbs ~ not Shanny, and not Davis ~ Joe Gibbs ~ he wouldn't have a single Ring.

People like to give Elway a lot of credit for "dragging bad teams in the Superbowl," but the truth is, those teams weren't horrible, and the AFC generally was, which is why he got them there, and why the NFC always absolutely destroyed it every year.

I actually give Elway a lot of credit as an all time great, but "better than Montana" (or Brady) is something only Bronco homers say and hold on to since they don't have much else.

If Davis didn't win him Superbowls, he would have retired without a ring, just like Marino did.
Elway was basically along for the ride on those last two runs.

Ridiculous. Elway finally had a good enough complete team to win titles, which he did. He certaintly wasnt just along "for the ride". Was he better in the 80s? Id say so because he willed average teams to superbowls.

Interesting how you think Marino is better than Elway. Never heard that before. I have Marino at number 5 and Elway at 2. With Montana and Unitas between them.

"Montana deffinitly could have willed those average 80s Broncos teams to the superbowl, Im sure of it!!!!" - Dumb Montana superfans

The only thing "average" about the 80's Broncos teams was their offense outside of 1987, where they were 4th in points and 2nd in yards. Their defense carried them to the SB.

If you put Montana on that team, you have a better offense than you do with Elway.

BTW, It seems to me that you are also over-looking that Elway tossed 6 interceptions in the 3 SB losses he had.. Montana threw ZERO interceptions in his 4 wins..

It has had its moments.

I believe the strain of the elation of the final Pats TD, followed by the strain of the fluke catch, followed by the elation of the Butler INT may have been too much for some of the members. I believe this scene may fairly capture the moment.

The only problem with that theory, judging by the goals of this thread, is that its highly unlikely this guy is a Pats fan.

Its just bloody insane to me to rank Montana over Elway for the amazing stuff Elway did in the 80s.

No way Montana does that

LOL at this. Its pathetic to think Montana, a guy with UNIVERSALLY the best offensive talent ever around him is better than a guy who took mediocre teams to the Superbowl THREE times in the 80s and won 2 with very good teams in the late 90s.

Tell me again how Montana wills any kind of team to the superbowl that doesnt have HOF offensive talent? Im sure your answer will be hillarious

What is pathetic is you thinking that Elway was the one who took 2 of those 3 teams to the SB. They got there despite him, not because of him..

Elway had 1 critical flaw. he wasn't always accurate.

Ridiculous. Elway finally had a good enough complete team to win titles, which he did. He certaintly wasnt just along "for the ride". Was he better in the 80s? Id say so because he willed average teams to superbowls.

Again, I'm not knocking Elway. I'm actually an Elway fan, but when you say "willed average teams to the Superbowl," you're being misleading, because the AFC was pure trash back then. He "willed" the better-than-average Broncos beyond a bunch of crappy AFC teams.

There's a reason the NFC won 12 Superbowl titles in a row.

There was about a 15 year stretch where the AFC was awful and got blown out in the Super Bowl year to year. Yes, Elway had a disposable backup cast - no quality running back during those Dan Reeves years, and quick, name the 3 amigos without looking them up.

But when you look at all the dominant teams of that era you have the Cowboys, Niners, NY and Redskins vs. the Broncs and Bills. Even the also rans in the NFC were probably better (Bears and Vikes).

The only thing "average" about the 80's Broncos teams was their offense outside of 1987, where they were 4th in points and 2nd in yards. Their defense carried them to the SB.

If you put Montana on that team, you have a better offense than you do with Elway.

BTW, It seems to me that you are also over-looking that Elway tossed 6 interceptions in the 3 SB losses he had.. Montana threw ZERO interceptions in his 4 wins..

What kind of drugs are you on? LMAO

LOL at Montana making the offense better. That makes a lot of sense since Elway was the better pure QB!!

Interesting how you think Marino is better than Elway. Never heard that before. I have Marino at number 5 and Elway at 2. With Montana and Unitas between them.

Interesting how you can't even grasp the "Quote" function. :)

Again, I'm not knocking Elway. I'm actually an Elway fan, but when you say "willed average teams to the Superbowl," you're being misleading, because the AFC was pure trash back then. He "willed" the better-than-average Broncos beyond a bunch of crappy AFC teams.

There's a reason the NFL won 12 Superbowl titles in a row.

Obviously the AFC was average then. But he still willed those teams to the superbowl 3 times with not much talent around him. A HELL of a lot more impressive than the Ferrari Montana was driving.

This is like Colts fans arguing Peyton is better than Brady If both had 1 title. Obviously Brady's accomplishments are a hell of a lot better because of the lack of talent around him unlike Peyton.

Elway had 1 critical flaw. he wasn't always accurate.

This is another thing Bronco homers like to sweep under the rug when building up Elway's defacto-legacy

His accuracy was **** compared to the GOATs (Brady and Montana)

This is another thing Bronco homers like to sweep under the rug when building up Elway's defacto-legacy

His accuracy was **** compared to the GOATs (Brady and Montana)

LOL at this ****. I could be accurate throwing to Rice and Taylor

Jesus, had no idea but there would be so many blind Montana fans here

How many times did Elway get completely blown out in the Superbowl? Refresh my memory.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back