PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Elway >>>>>>>>> Montana

Viper652

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Why in the world do people consider Montana better than Elway. Are you going to tell me Montana would have taken those broncos teams to the superbowl? lol yeah right

And of course the lack of talent Elway was playing with, just like Brady

Oh yeah, Elway went to more superbowls as well.

As if Elway's teams weren't talented? They cheated the salary cap to keep that insanely awesome roster for crying out loud. Montana had Rice and Clark but he never had an RB like Davis. Roger Craig was the closest thing.

Also, Montana beat Elway head to head in a Super Bowl. This is the first time in my life I've ever heard someone say Elway was better than Montana.

Montana could sit back with Jerry Rice, John Taylor, an absolute all around stud runningback in Roger Craig, a stud fullback in Rathman, not to mention the high end Tight ends

Montana was getting into a Rolls Royce everytime he was on the field

Why in the world do people consider Montana better than Elway. Are you going to tell me Montana would have taken those broncos teams to the superbowl? lol yeah right

And of course the lack of talent Elway was playing with, just like Brady

Pathetic.

I grew up in Northern California and was an Elway fan and Niner hater (I guess to be different), I became a Pats fan when I went to school in Boston in the early 90s.

I feel like TB is to Peyton as Montana is to Elway.

Which isn't to say I think that Elway is a big game choke artist, just that TB and Montana were a lot less flashy but really shined at management and execution while for most of their careers Peyton and Elway were do it all themselves QBs. Naturally Elway's greatest success came when Davis took off a lot of that burden. I do think they were the best team in the NFL for three years and would have beat Green Bay the year Bledsoe's Pats made it (which would have entirely changed Brett Favre's legacy).

With any luck TB will wind up with more rings.

"Montana deffinitly could have willed those average 80s Broncos teams to the superbowl, Im sure of it!!!!" - Dumb Montana superfans

Oh yeah, Elway went to more superbowls as well.

Umm.. lets really take a look:
Elway - 5 Super Bowls in 16 years - 2 SB wins - Missed the play-offs 6 times..

Montana - 4 Super Bowls in 10 years - 4 SB victories - only missed the play-offs once due to the strike shortened season.

Care to tell me again how Montana isn't better than Elway?

Peyton is a poor mans Montana, in that hes had just as much talent around him as Joe.

Except Joe has 4 rings and Peyton just a lousy 1 with all that talent around him. I dont think Peyton is top 5 all time.

I think Id put Unitas ahead of Joe. Even he didnt have the all around talent like Joe did.

I grew up in Northern California and was an Elway fan and Niner hater (I guess to be different), I became a Pats fan when I went to school in Boston in the early 90s.

I feel like TB is to Peyton as Montana is to Elway.

Wrong.

Tom Brady is to Peyton Manning as Joe Montana is to Dan Marino.

Game.

Set.

Match.

Man, this board is hilarious today

It has had its moments.

I believe the strain of the elation of the final Pats TD, followed by the strain of the fluke catch, followed by the elation of the Butler INT may have been too much for some of the members. I believe this scene may fairly capture the moment.

Pathetic.

Umm.. lets really take a look:
Elway - 5 Super Bowls in 16 years - 2 SB wins - Missed the play-offs 6 times..

Montana - 4 Super Bowls in 10 years - 4 SB victories - only missed the play-offs once due to the strike shortened season.

Care to tell me again how Montana isn't better than Elway?

LOL at this. Its pathetic to think Montana, a guy with UNIVERSALLY the best offensive talent ever around him is better than a guy who took mediocre teams to the Superbowl THREE times in the 80s and won 2 with very good teams in the late 90s.

Tell me again how Montana wills any kind of team to the superbowl that doesnt have HOF offensive talent? Im sure your answer will be hillarious

Marrino >>>>>>>>>> Peyton.

Give Marino Peytons offensive talent and he has 2 rings minimum

People like to give Elway a lot of credit for "dragging bad teams in the Superbowl," but the truth is, those teams weren't horrible, and the AFC generally was, which is why he got them there, and why the NFC always absolutely destroyed it every year.

I actually give Elway a lot of credit as an all time great, but "better than Montana" (or Brady) is something only Bronco homers say and hold on to since they don't have much else.

If Davis didn't win him Superbowls, he would have retired without a ring, just like Marino did.
Elway was basically along for the ride on those last two runs.

LOL, how can Elway choke when its a bloody miracle he got those mediocre teams to the superbowl in the first place.

THREE times.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back