PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman is back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta figure Wilfork bein released at some point will free up more cap, not sure how much I think something like 4-7mil.

Restructure should be around $4m.

Release would be $7.5-8m.

I think they restructure him.

And Gost (save $1m)
And McCourty (save 1m - complicated, will be later)
And Connolly (save 1m)

I'm assuming when I see "restructure," you mean "extend."

The problem I think, is what kind of offer can you extend him for, and how long would the extension be/what kind of money?

I think something in the range of 4m or so would be fair, but it's quite possible that both team + Wilfork may see it differently.

Wouldn't we have to extend for 2 more years in order to really see any kind of reasonable bonus spread out to lessen the 2014 cap hit? Or would 1 more year for 2015 be enough (which I'm doubting)?

The problem I think, is what kind of offer can you extend him for, and how long would the extension be/what kind of money?

I think something in the range of 4m or so would be fair, but it's quite possible that both team + Wilfork may see it differently.

Wouldn't we have to extend for 2 more years in order to really see any kind of reasonable bonus spread out to lessen the 2014 cap hit? Or would 1 more year for 2015 be enough (which I'm doubting)?

Yes, the restructure I'm talking about would be an extension. They probably already tried the Kelly-like restructure, which prompted Vince's "release me!"

If his Achilles is okay, I think VW's got about 3 more years.

I love Big Vince and everything he's done as a Patriot. That's the way I am... a Pats homer and proud of it. I detest the puny, pin brained haters that make thousands of posts ripping on Patriots players. These types are NOT Patriot fans...they are fans of their own reflection in the mirror and nothing more.

I'm glad Edelman is back, I'm glad he's teaming with Amendola and I hope something can be worked out to keep Big Vince a Patriot.

What I meant is Pats approached Wilfork asked him to "Restructure" his contract to take less. Wilfork took it as an insult and asked to be released instead of takin a cut. Word it anyway you want bottom line is If Vince "Re Did" his contract to take less his playin time would be "Extended"

This way (by splitting the guarantee), we are guaranteed 2 years of play for our $8M (Edelman is worth $1M as a punt returner). If, Edelman got say a $7M bonus plus $1M salary, there would be added new money costs to 2015, compared to the schedule I gave.

In any case, Edelman can be pushed out before the 2016 or 2017 seasons if he isn't worth his salary. With a lower bonus, the dead money would also be lower.

I'm hoping that the guaranteed money is mostly signing bonus, to retain some flexibility on the back end of the deal if he doesn't live up to it, or if the young guys take off and take over. That would put his prorated signing bonus at $2M by itself, then I figured a likely $1M salary in 2014 on top of that.

I agree, though, that if they're feeling the squeeze particularly tight this year they could definitely push it lower.

Maybe it is dreaming on my part but I think that Wilfork with stay. He is on vacation right now based on what WEEI said the other day, hopefully a little R&R will calm his emotions and clear his mind so he can come back and work out a deal that he can be happy with and the team can accept. I really would hate to see him go, I feel like he means a lot to this team on and off the field. He and Brady are the last remaining Patriots for the 16-0 team in 2007. In addition, we would be so much better off with him, we have so much emphasis on the passing game but we ranked 30th against the run, that was down 21 spots from the prior year.

I'm hoping that the guaranteed money is mostly signing bonus, to retain some flexibility on the back end of the deal if he doesn't live up to it, or if the young guys take off and take over. That would put his prorated signing bonus at $2M by itself, then I figured a likely $1M salary in 2014 on top of that.

I agree, though, that if they're feeling the squeeze particularly tight this year they could definitely push it lower.

I am thinking $6M for a signing bonus so $1.5M yearly.

2014 - $1M base salary fully guaranteed, $500K NTBE incentives
2015 - $2M base salary with $1M fully guaranteed, $500K NTBE incentives
2016 - $3M base salary, $500K NTBE incentives
2017 - $5M base salary, $500K NTBE incentives

What I meant is Pats approached Wilfork asked him to "Restructure" his contract to take less. Wilfork took it as an insult and asked to be released instead of takin a cut. Word it anyway you want bottom line is If Vince "Re Did" his contract to take less his playin time would be "Extended"

I'm not meaning to be a smart-ass at all, so I hope you don't take it that way.

I'm saying there are 2 options--that's it. No way that Wilfork is going to "take a pay cut" or "re-do" his contract, at least for the 2014 season anyway.

Option #1: Extend him for another couple of years and convert the 2014 salary to a bonus to get the cap hit lessened. They'd then spread that bonus out over the remainder of the deal.

Option #2: Cut him.

That's it. That's why I was asking 50 yd line if extending him ONE year would make enough of a difference in terms of being able to get the 2014 cap hit down, and why I was doubting it.

I was hoping that they'd extend him for the 2015/2016 seasons with a salary of about 3-4 million dollars (just speculating on the value). They could then spread his high 2014 current cap hit out over the next 2 years. The problem seems to be whether or not Belichick would want to do that, not to mention what kind of value you'd extend him for--and ultimately, if he would actually agree to that or not.

Anyway you look at it, he's not going to just flat out accept taking a pay cut though. For all we know, he may have been approached with an offer from the NEP for a 2 year extension, and viewed the "dropoff" in their offer as a sort of pay cut for the future, especially when you consider what he's used to making lately. I think he feels disrespected due to having been handsomely paid and highly valued until...he became injured. Now he may be feeling as though they aren't valuing him enough with any kind of extension offer, so he's willing to bet on another team paying him more by asking for his release.

I'm not meaning to be a smart-ass at all, so I hope you don't take it that way.

It's cool, It's all good, You make some good points with options for Wilfork.
My point was havin Wilfork in there cloggin up holes on run Def coupled with our DBs would be an awesome parlay. My gut feeling is maybe both Pats/Vince are apart and probably Vince is lookin for his release and to move on. Never know from Revis, Browner, LaFell and Brit comin in for visit and BB inquiring about DeSean Jackson just cool that BB is aggresive with improvin out roster.

Still excited about Edelman after digesting the news over past few days...

In retrospect, I'm glad we "lost" that twerp welker and have Edelman and Amanda(ola) in place

Going into this season with much more optimism that we are in a better place than we would have been with welker. Also optimistic we see Amanda pull out an awesome season ... Still have memories of 2013 game 1 vs buffalo where he and vereen carried us and also 2012 when he shredded the 9ers after coming back from injury. High upside when not hurt again

I would not be surprised to see Edelman and Brady meet or even exceed the production that Welker and Brady had, these two seem to be very in sync.

“€œHe let it be known that he would love to have me back and part of the team,” said Edelman, who is coming off a career-best season where he caught 105 passes for 1,056 yards and five touchdowns. “Tom is also a good friend of mine. He’€™s one of the guys who helped me develop into a professional in this league. He also told me that I have to take care of myself and my family. He kind of mentored me. It was definitely a very tough decision that you have to deal with. He would have been right there behind if I would have left or if I would have stayed there.

It Is What It Is » Julian Edelman: Tom Brady is ?my dawg?

In retrospect, I'm glad we "lost" that twerp welker and have Edelman and Amanda(ola) in place

To each his own, but calling someone who obviously played through an excruciating injury all year a girl's name doesn't seem very appropriate. It actually seems to point towards the opposite.

If you want to call him something for underachieving, that's one thing. Questioning his toughness is something entirely different. He's definitely proven to be a tough SOB, even if he's had some bad luck.

Go back and re-watch Amendola and his potentially career ending neck/collarbone injury from 2012. He won't even go into the tunnel with the trainers until he can see the instant replay to determine whether or not they'd credit him with the catch. When everyone else said that he could possibly never play again, he came back after missing 3 games.

Bad luck? Yes. Made of glass? Possibly. But no one should question his toughness.

Does it bother anyone else that we have a headline on the page that says 'After agreeing to a new deal with the Patriots, wide receiver Julian Edelman admitted on Thursday that he's ready to admit he's a New Englander.'

He's admitted that he's ready to admit? Did he proceed to redundantly make this admission?

I admit that I was ecstatic when Edelman resigned but I'm not sure if I'm ready to admit.

The best thing about this signing is that his best days are ahead of him. It's been a fairly long process as Edelman has made the transition to WR and while we saw flashes of his talent he was limited by both injury and inexperience in his production and development. 2013 was a different story. Edelman was pretty much forced to become a go to guy and make big plays not only when they needed them most but also when opposing defenses knew he was a primary option. He came up big and really produced when they needed him most, and that's a big step up for any player. He doesn't need to put up bigger numbers for them going forward to be a better player, and if he continues to make the big plays when they need them that will matter more than a few more receptions and a few more yards overall. And this is what excites me most about his game as he is an explosive player with the ball in his hands and i think the diversification of their offense is going to give him more room to make those big plays. If he stays healthy this deal will pay off big time for them. I'm really glad they got him back, especially at this price.

Agree completely, i still haven't forgiven Welker for breaking some of Jerry Rice's records while in New England. And just because he put up Hall of fame numbers and played as tough as any player in patriots history it doesn't mean we should respect him, especially when he gave the Patriots the right to match the offer they claim was lower than their own, what a d.ck he is.

To each his own, but calling someone who obviously played through an excruciating injury all year a girl's name doesn't seem very appropriate. It actually seems to point towards the opposite.

If you want to call him something for underachieving, that's one thing. Questioning his toughness is something entirely different. He's definitely proven to be a tough SOB, even if he's had some bad luck.

Go back and re-watch Amendola and his potentially career ending neck/collarbone injury from 2012. He won't even go into the tunnel with the trainers until he can see the instant replay to determine whether or not they'd credit him with the catch. When everyone else said that he could possibly never play again, he came back after missing 3 games.

Bad luck? Yes. Made of glass? Possibly. But no one should question his toughness.

Injury prone, yes, made of glass, no, anyone would have been knocked out by those injuries but his history definitely puts him in the injury prone category. As for his toughness you are right on the money, he is a tough tough player and those who claim otherwise are morons.

Danny Amendola played all season on a serious groin injury, and for a guy who made his career through short area quickness with sharp cuts and really quick starts and stops there is almost nothing worse, however it didn't prevent him from running in a straight line, so he sucked it up and kept going out there for them and running straight line route after straight line route, and when there was an opening Brady went to him, but he was more decoy than anything else. When he returns next season you are going to see a completely different player and it is going to cause people to re-think their opinions on the Patriots receiving corps, they will still lack the #1 but their abilities and their receiving units will complement each other can give them strong options across the board. Edelman, Amendola, and Dobson/Lafell with Gronk at TE and Vereen in the backfield poses a good number of problems for any secondary. (I don't think they are done yet but that's still a good starting point for any team.)

Imo the revelation next season is going to be Amendola, even though i actually have confidence in both Dobson and Boyce improving and really contributing, but I am betting on Amendola to have a big season and people will be talking about how lucky they are to have him and not how much they want to get rid of him.

Injury prone, yes, made of glass, no, anyone would have been knocked out by those injuries but his history definitely puts him in the injury prone category. As for his toughness you are right on the money, he is a tough tough player and those who claim otherwise are morons.

Danny Amendola played all season on a serious groin injury, and for a guy who made his career through short area quickness with sharp cuts and really quick starts and stops there is almost nothing worse, however it didn't prevent him from running in a straight line, so he sucked it up and kept going out there for them and running straight line route after straight line route, and when there was an opening Brady went to him, but he was more decoy than anything else. When he returns next season you are going to see a completely different player and it is going to cause people to re-think their opinions on the Patriots receiving corps, they will still lack the #1 but their abilities and their receiving units will complement each other can give them strong options across the board. Edelman, Amendola, and Dobson/Lafell with Gronk at TE and Vereen in the backfield poses a good number of problems for any secondary. (I don't think they are done yet but that's still a good starting point for any team.)

Imo the revelation next season is going to be Amendola, even though i actually have confidence in both Dobson and Boyce improving and really contributing, but I am betting on Amendola to have a big season and people will be talking about how lucky they are to have him and not how much they want to get rid of him.

IMO, at this point, I expect Amnedola to miss 3-5 games per season. However, Edelman had his first 16 game season last year, so it could be DA's turn next. The question for me, however, isn't whether or not Amendola can play 16 games. It's whether or not he can avoid injuries similar to the one he suffered last year, which appeared to have a nagging effect that severally limited his effectiveness. If he's able to produce in spite of injuries, then he's definitely going to stick around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe