PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dwayne Bowe: Sign the Beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the more reason to consider a double up on draft day, right? Hey it worked out pretty well for the TE, RB, and DE/OLB positions in the past couple of years. Although we may not hit on both it would improve the odds of hitting on something.

Something in rounds 3 and 5, or to that effect? I am expecting at least one trade out to acquire a mid round pick or two. That could still potentially allow them to acquire additional needs in the secondary, or in the trenches on the O or D lines too.

We keep hearing about the deep safety class, but Belichick has often gone in the other direction before so I'm wondering if a safety will actually be chosen, especially after last year's choice of a round 2 safety with Wilson?

They may actually surprise us and target a FA safety this year. That would instantly shore up the position and also allow Wilson to continue to progress while seeing role duty and sub package situations for another year.
William Moore and Jairus Byrd are the two who I'd hope the Patriots would entertain. I'd be more inclined to look at Moore given he's a Strong Safety and would compliment McCourty's skills. That said, I doubt Atlanta lets him get away.

All the more reason to consider a double up on draft day, right? Hey it worked out pretty well for the TE, RB, and DE/OLB positions in the past couple of years. Although we may not hit on both it would improve the odds of hitting on something.

They'll have to look in the draft for the answer. The FA WRs this year, isnt all that attractive, when you consider the cost/age factor.

William Moore and Jairus Byrd are the two who I'd hope the Patriots would entertain. I'd be more inclined to look at Moore given he's a Strong Safety and would compliment McCourty's skills. That said, I doubt Atlanta lets him get away.

We swung and missed the past 2 offseasons underbidding for both Goldson and then Landry. I don't expect the same mistake to be made, particularly if the reports by Bedard and SMY regarding Belichick's desire to keep McCourty at FS last summer are true.

I'm with you 100% with your choices, and we could also name a few others there too, albeit to a lesser talent level. Delmas, Phillips, etc.

As far as ATL goes, I hear you. I do doubt though, that they are going to be able to keep both of Grimes and Moore together in FA this year, so either one would be a nice addition.

If it came down to resigning Talib or choosing one of these other choices for a longer term impact/contract, I would use that money for the other choices instead--at least personally.

If Talib can be resigned for another year or even a reasonable home town deal on a 2-3 yr pact, then all the better. Hell, there's always the possibility that they can potentially do both.

This giving up impact TD's (many times multiple like on Sunday) in playoff games/SB's of major importance crap has got to cease, and quickly. This secondary is closer than before to turning it around, and we need to build off of that one way or another.

What's the boards opinion on signing Dwayne Bowe. It is doubtful KC franchises him again and he has had success in the Weis offense, his best year as a pro actually with Matt Cassel throwing him the ball

72 Receptions, 1162 yards, 16.1 yards per catch, 15 TDs

He would probably cost the same as Welker, but for a few more years

5 years 50 million is the most he'd cost.

This would give our offense a true do it all receiver he's physical, he can go deep, he can catch intermediate balls, draws the number 1 corner, takes off pressure from the middle.

Lets get Brady his best receiver since Moss

Bowe Show V - Don't Need Money, Don't Take Fame, Don't Need No Scott Pioli To Ride This Train - YouTube

Yes, let's bring in a guy who runs crappy routes, isn't truly a team player and was a headache for Crennel...

No thanks.

EDIT: BTW, Bowe has already said he wants to stay in KC and they have their franchise tag ready for him.

Lol alright Mrs. Welker sorry that I'm not enamored with madden stats in the regular season and dropsies when it matters in the playoffs :rocker: Welker or Bust!

Dumb arse comments like this is why you aren't taken seriously.
People like yourself hold people like Welker to unreasonably high standards. You also ignore when other players do the same thing. For instance, you ignored that both Branch and Hernandez had drops last year AFTER Welker had his failed circus catch attempt. You also ignore that Lloyd, Branch, and Hernandez had drops this year after Welker had his drop. Yet you only complain about Welker.

Dumb arse comments like this is why you aren't taken seriously.
People like yourself hold people like Welker to unreasonably high standards. You also ignore when other players do the same thing. For instance, you ignored that both Branch and Hernandez had drops last year AFTER Welker had his failed circus catch attempt. You also ignore that Lloyd, Branch, and Hernandez had drops this year after Welker had his drop. Yet you only complain about Welker.

Branch and Lloyd are paid peanuts compared to what Welker got this year and will be getting in the future. Are you talking about Hernandez dropping the crossing route when we got the ball back with 52 seconds left? That was a dumb decision by Brady it would've gotten us 10 yards and cost us 5-10 seconds.

It isn't about Welker he's a great player, but he is going to cost what a true number 1 receiver does to operate in the same area as our 2 tight ends who are signed for big money for years. What do you people not get in a vacuum Welker is great and worth $10 million, but for this TEAM given our salary situation he isn't worth it. I said it last summer and I'm saying it now, this team is not going anywhere giving Welker 8.3% of its salary cap.

Also there's plenty of people who have similar views on Welker are we all not taken seriously by Welker nut huggers?

Branch and Lloyd are paid peanuts compared to what Welker got this year and will be getting in the future. Are you talking about Hernandez dropping the crossing route when we got the ball back with 52 seconds left? That was a dumb decision by Brady it would've gotten us 10 yards and cost us 5-10 seconds.

What a player is paid doesn't mean jack when it comes to performance on the field. Or have you forgotten that?

Fact is that Branch's game on the very next play after Welker's drop. And Hernandez's came on the next series. And considering that Hernandez dropped it on the right side of the field while heading towards the right sideline, it's unlikely that it would have cost us any more than 5-6 seconds (in other words 2-3 seconds more than had already run off the clock).

It isn't about Welker he's a great player, but he is going to cost what a true number 1 receiver does to operate in the same area as our 2 tight ends who are signed for big money for years. What do you people not get in a vacuum Welker is great and worth $10 million, but for this TEAM given our salary situation he isn't worth it. I said it last summer and I'm saying it now, this team is not going anywhere giving Welker 8.3% of its salary cap.

You might want to do some research on what Gronkowski and Hernandez will be making because their contracts don't get to "big money" until the 2014 season.

BTW, you were wrong last summer. In paying Welker the Franchise tag, they gave him more than 8.3% of their salary cap this year.

Finally, contrary to your myopic belief, most people do get the following:
1) Welker is a great receiver. Particularly in this offense.
2) That Welker is worth $10M + a year
3) That the team may not be able to afford Welker for $10M a year over a long term contract.

Also there's plenty of people who have similar views on Welker are we all not taken seriously by Welker nut huggers?

You clearly have problems reading. My comments said nothing about other people. It was your comments as a whole and had no bearing on others. Do yourself a favor and get rid of your inferiority complex and stop making assumptions about things that aren't said.

What has continually investing in offense gotten the Patriots? It's gotten them scoring records and playoff losses. To again win championships they need to force turnovers and get big plays from their defense and special teams. That's how they won three titles.

What a player is paid doesn't mean jack when it comes to performance on the field. Or have you forgotten that?

Fact is that Branch's game on the very next play after Welker's drop. And Hernandez's came on the next series. And considering that Hernandez dropped it on the right side of the field while heading towards the right sideline, it's unlikely that it would have cost us any more than 5-6 seconds (in other words 2-3 seconds more than had already run off the clock).

It means something in terms of criticism I'm not going to kill Branch because he costs nothing to keep or let go. But with Welker it is a problem because keeping him costs us money to spend on the defense or getting a true outside receiver. You are the one that said I'm not killing the other guys and I gave my reasoning it isn't about the past its about the future and paying Welker hurts this team more than it will help.

You might want to do some research on what Gronkowski and Hernandez will be making because their contracts don't get to "big money" until the 2014 season.

BTW, you were wrong last summer. In paying Welker the Franchise tag, they gave him more than 8.3% of their salary cap this year.

Finally, contrary to your myopic belief, most people do get the following:
1) Welker is a great receiver. Particularly in this offense.
2) That Welker is worth $10M + a year
3) That the team may not be able to afford Welker for $10M a year over a long term contract.

I know what the contracts are it becomes big money in the NEAR future they are tied up for a large sum of money and the cap hit being small this year doesn't change the fact that for the foreseeable future they're going to be the focus of the offense and THEY operate in the middle of the field. I agree with all 3 points he's worth 10 million but to another team we can't afford him given the limitations he puts on getting this team over the hump.

You clearly have problems reading. My comments said nothing about other people. It was your comments as a whole and had no bearing on others. Do yourself a favor and get rid of your inferiority complex and stop making assumptions about things that aren't said.

I'm having no trouble reading you said people such as yourself you act like I am the only one who is saying this. I have no inferiority complex, why is it that posters need to get into insulting others I only mentioned Welker nuthuggers after you began telling me I can't be taken seriously for my opinions.

Posters like you are so arrogant that you get into tirades about inferiority complexes, telling others they can't read, think, or understand the game. You grab onto trivialities like Gronk and Hernandez don't make big money till 2014, NEWS FLASH any contract with Welker will take him into 2014 unless he's franchised for about 10% of our cap space.

And BY THE WAY maybe you should learn how to read I said last summer they weren't getting anywhere giving Welker franchise money and I said NOW as in this next year they are going nowhere giving Welker 8.3% of the cap space it was a rough estimate of 10/120 million. Sorry that my whole point was wrong since I did not correctly state it would be 9.344444444% of the cap. My meaning was last year they weren't getting anywhere by franchising him guess what they fell short again, he dropped a key 3rd down catch, and the offense went nowhere in the playoffs with him leading it. Was I wrong? Will I be wrong next year when the Steelers, Ravens, Giants, or 49ers end our playoffs next year if we return with the same offense?

It means something in terms of criticism I'm not going to kill Branch because he costs nothing to keep or let go. But with Welker it is a problem because keeping him costs us money to spend on the defense or getting a true outside receiver.

This is simply a fallacy. Just as franchising him last year didn't prevent the team from signing Lloyd, keeping him this year doesn't prevent them from signing another WR.

This is simply a fallacy. Just as franchising him last year didn't prevent the team from signing Lloyd, keeping him this year doesn't prevent them from signing another WR.

Yes you can get another over 30 receiver on the back end of his career, you are not going to get a a great player if you give all that money to Welker because there is a limit to how much you can dish out to a certain position unless you are insane like the NJ Jests giving over $20 million to a pair of corners.

Yes you can get another over 30 receiver on the back end of his career, you are not going to get a a great player if you give all that money to Welker because there is a limit to how much you can dish out to a certain position unless you are insane like the NJ Jests giving over $20 million to a pair of corners.

If you keep moving the goalposts, eventually you'll be correct. However, the reality is that Welker was under the franchise tag last year, and the team was still able to bring in a quality WR.

If you keep moving the goalposts, eventually you'll be correct. However, the reality is that Welker was under the franchise tag last year, and the team was still able to bring in a quality WR.

Your insults are getting old, he was an ok receiver that failed at his job of being an intermediate and deep threat. He didn't do much to alleviate the clogging of the middle of the field that has stopped this offense the past 3 years in the playoffs.

Reality is that this offense fails in the playoffs no matter how many sly remarks you want to hurl

Explain this 21, 17, and 13 points in our last 3 playoff losses. What is to blame?

Your insults are getting old,

I didn't insult you, at all. I stated that you were moving the goalposts. You were.

he was an ok receiver that failed at his job of being an intermediate and deep threat.

He had 74 receptions. He had 10 20+ yard receptions and 1 40+ yard reception, despite the early season struggles. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that production.

He didn't do much to alleviate the clogging of the middle of the field that has stopped this offense the past 3 years in the playoffs.

He did exactly that for most of the season. Blame the game plan for him being more inside in the Ravens game.

Reality is that this offense fails in the playoffs no matter how many sly remarks you want to hurl

Explain this 21, 17, and 13 points in our last 3 playoff losses. What is to blame?

Reality is that you're just lashing out with a scapegoating of the one player who's probably the least culpable player on the offense, overall. Nobody on that offense, besides Brady, has done more to make the offense work than has Welker, and Brady's struggled more in the losses.

I didn't insult you, at all. I stated that you were moving the goalposts. You were.
Reality is that you're just lashing out with a scapegoating of the one player who's probably the least culpable player on the offense, overall. Nobody on that offense, besides Brady, has done more to make the offense work than has Welker, and Brady's struggled more in the losses.

Reality is you didn't answer the question you turned it around on me that I'm scapegoating someone I asked you why does our offense stall in the playoffs. So simply Brady is the reason not the entire offensive scheme and how it is easy to shut down in the playoffs?

Lloyds product was ok just like I said it was, it didn't help this team in the playoffs though that is for sure and you still think giving Welker $10 million doesn't preclude us from signing some real receiving talent. That's fine.

What has continually investing in offense gotten the Patriots? It's gotten them scoring records and playoff losses. To again win championships they need to force turnovers and get big plays from their defense and special teams. That's how they won three titles.

Welcome

Enough with the fantasy football offense BS. We know Brady can put up big numbers like the best of them. Virtually every loss this season was against a top defense: AZ (at the time) SF, SEA and now BALT. Balt struggled on defense during this season stat wise, but who can argue that theyre arent playing stellar D right now?

Indy was held to 3 FGs, the Bronco offense was held to 21 points @ home and NE was limited to 13 points @ home.

Lets get back to Patriot football.

Welcome

Enough with the fantasy football offense BS. We know Brady can put up big numbers like the best of them. Virtually every loss this season was against a top defense: AZ (at the time) SF, SEA and now BALT. Balt struggled on defense during this season stat wise, but who can argue that theyre arent playing stellar D right now?

Indy was held to 3 FGs, the Bronco offense was held to 21 points @ home and NE was limited to 13 points @ home.

Lets get back to Patriot football.

Investing in Talib or someone similar would be a good start and getting back Vollmer to help our run game. Bowe would be a nice splash, but if they got some youth that could attack outside the numbers and spent the rest of the money on defense I wouldn't have any complaints at all!

Reality is that this offense fails in the playoffs

While I agree with the offense's lack of execution, I also think that we're overlooking the defense's contribution entirely.

Let's take a look at the recent Pats playoff performances from the 96 SB on, and tell me if you see anything wrong:

--held Pittsburgh to 3 points in a 28-3 win

--held Jacksonville to 6 points in a 20-6 win

--held Miami to 3 points in a 17-3 win

--held Pittsburgh to 7 points in a 7-6 loss

--held Oakland to 13 points in a 16-13 win

--held Pittsburgh to 17 points in a 24-17 win

--held St Louis to 17 points in a 20-17 win

--held Tennessee to 14 points in a 17-14 win

--held Indy to 14 points in a 24-14 win

--held Indy to 3 points in a 20-3 win

--held Philly to 21 points in a 24-21 win (last TD obviously scored in garbage time)

--held Jacksonville to 3 points in a 28-3 win

--held NYJets to 16 points in a 37-16 win

--held SD to 12 points in 21-12 win

DOES ANYONE SEE A PATTERN HERE???

Investing in Talib or someone similar would be a good start and getting back Vollmer to help our run game. Bowe would be a nice splash, but if they got some youth that could attack outside the numbers and spent the rest of the money on defense I wouldn't have any complaints at all!

Bowe drops alot of easy catches and makes the unreal circus catch look simple. Plus, he did want bigtime money.

I like Lloyd, but he never wowed me like I thought he would. He reminds of a Branch or Givens move the chains type. Id like to see a monster at WR who would be a matchup nightmare.

Im on board with Talib and drafting another CB. Draft a Safety or two as well.

Bowe drops alot of easy catches and makes the unreal circus catch look simple. Plus, he did want bigtime money.

I like Lloyd, but he never wowed me like I thought he would. He reminds of a Branch or Givens move the chains type. Id like to see a monster at WR who would be a matchup nightmare.

Im on board with Talib and drafting another CB. Draft a Safety or two as well.

Maybe the draft is the best bet for a receiver due to the economics of the situation, but with the time Brady has left I have doubts they can get an impact guy without burning a first round pick but maybe it is time to do that.

If our first three picks go S, CB, WR in some order I'll be really happy. I think a proven corner is necessary we have waaay too much youth back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back