PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dwayne Bowe: Sign the Beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually LOL'd there for a minute. I mean, that's a BIG IF with this NE system...What do you think it would take for Larry Fitz? (obviously restructuring that enormous deal)

An act of God.

i'd rather get that(por those) players at the draft. if you're gonna spend that much money, spend on someone you no will work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Exactly. I'm tired of injuries in the playoffs from vital parts of this offense and defense. If Lloyd shying away from contact for 16 games in the regular season, (while still picking up 1st downs) means he'll be healthy for the playoffs, then I'm OK with that.

if he went down for playoffs..we would have had welker...that's it

Your posts today are making no sense at all. You note Branch here, but then claim the team's had 0 success at drafting the WR position.

LOL ok I knew some straw grasper would point that out sorry very very very low success at drafting WR and no success in the last 11 years! SORRY! :rolleyes:

It is absolutely incredible that you ignore the entire point of the thread and point out that the team had success at getting a WR 11 years ago, so? we're in 2013 time to flip your calendar

LOL ok I knew some straw grasper would point that out sorry very very very low success at drafting WR and no success in the last 11 years! SORRY! :rolleyes:

It is absolutely incredible that you ignore the entire point of the thread and point out that the team had success at getting a WR 11 years ago, so? we're in 2013 time to flip your calendar

It's not grasping at straws. It was pointing out the stupidity of your post.

It's not grasping at straws. It was pointing out the stupidity of your post.

How about you respond to the basic idea which is this team can't draft wide receivers worth crap instead of picking at straws changing 0 % success to 5 or 10% doesn't change the basic idea.

The only stupidity being shown is your own.

How about you respond to the basic idea which is this team can't draft wide receivers worth crap instead of picking at straws changing 0 % success to 5 or 10% doesn't change the basic idea.

The only stupidity being shown is your own.

You posted without thinking, and your post was a lousy one as a result. You got called on it. Quit pretending it was anything more than that.

As for drafting WRs, you're making a false and misleading claim. Branch, Givens and Edelman have all worked out, so the notion of "0 percent" or even "5 or 10%" is simply wrong, given the relatively low number of WRs drafted during the BB era, and particularly given where those WRs have been drafted.

Ebert
Price
Tate
Edelman
Jackson
Sam
Johnson
Branch
Givens

That's the list of players who were drafted to be WRs (Slater was originally drafted to play safety). So, the Patriots have a 33% success rate drafting WRs, and they've never drafted a WR in the first round. That's not great, but it's not horrible, either.

The real issue with the Patriots drafting of WRs isn't the hit percentage. The real issue is that two of the misses could have been spectacular hits (Jennings instead of Jackson and Wallace instead of Tate).

You posted without thinking, and your post was a lousy one as a result. You got called on it. Quit pretending it was anything more than that.

As for drafting WRs, you're making a false and misleading claim. Branch, Givens and Edelman have all worked out, so the notion of "0 percent" or even "5 or 10%" is simply wrong, given the relatively low number of WRs drafted during the BB era, and particularly given where those WRs have been drafted.

Ebert
Price
Tate
Edelman
Jackson
Sam
Johnson
Branch
Givens

That's the list of players who were drafted to be WRs (Slater was originally drafted to play safety). So, the Patriots have a 33% success rate drafting WRs, and they've never drafted a WR in the first round. That's not great, but it's not horrible, either.

The real issue with the Patriots drafting of WRs isn't the hit percentage. The real issue is that two of the misses could have been spectacular hits (Jennings instead of Jackson and Wallace instead of Tate).

And even then, no promise they would have excelled in this system.

I don't know why people are so hung up on adding a WR when our defense, not our offense, has been our Achilles heal for years. I would much rather add someone like Laron Landry. If we can add a big WR too, I wouldn't mind. But improving the secondary should be the priority.

Ebert
Price
Tate
Edelman
Jackson
Sam
Johnson
Branch
Givens

Edelman has been a success? are you serious in 4 years he has 714 receiving yards he's been a nice side piece but not a main stay at wide receiver that a "success" i understand he was a 7th round pick but still. Point stands that they haven't gotten a quality receiver in 11 years through the draft regardless of draft position. Ever think they don't use first round picks on wide receivers because they don't want to risk wasting a pick?

I hope you feel good about "calling me out" but I'm pretty confident in my statement their success at drafting wide receivers is equivalent to 0 or "not very good" if you want to be nice about it.

I don't know why people are so hung up on adding a WR when our defense, not our offense, has been our Achilles heal for years. I would much rather add someone like Laron Landry. If we can add a big WR too, I wouldn't mind. But improving the secondary should be the priority.

We put up 13 points this past weekend. The 85 Bears D might not have been able to win that game for us.

Edelman has been a success? are you serious in 4 years he has 714 receiving yards he's been a nice side piece but not a main stay at wide receiver that a "success" i understand he was a 7th round pick but still. Point stands that they haven't gotten a quality receiver in 11 years through the draft regardless of draft position. Ever think they don't use first round picks on wide receivers because they don't want to risk wasting a pick?

I hope you feel good about "calling me out" but I'm pretty confident in my statement their success at drafting wide receivers is equivalent to 0 or "not very good" if you want to be nice about it.

714 yards and one of the NFLs better punt returners for a 7th round pick is excellent success. And it could have been better had he not got hurt this year.

Edelman has been a success?

Clearly... It doesn't mean he's a god. We're just talking success/failure here, after all.

are you serious in 4 years he has 714 receiving yards he's been a nice side piece but not a main stay at wide receiver that a "success" i understand he was a 7th round pick but still.

"but still" what? He's a successful pick as a WR. That was what you were claiming wasn't happening.

Point stands that they haven't gotten a quality receiver in 11 years through the draft regardless of draft position. Ever think they don't use first round picks on wide receivers because they don't want to risk wasting a pick?

The point doesn't stand at all, because you're deliberately crafting your argument and it's so obvious that it's pathetic. Using "11 years" as a cutoff is an obvious attempt to cherry pick. The Patriots have had drafting issues, but they were largely contained in the 2006-2009 span, and happened without regards to position. Under BB, here is the WR draft history:

2nd round: Branch, Johnson, Jackson (1 for 3, not good, not awful)
3rd round: 0 for 2
4th round: none drafted
5th round: 0 for 1
6th round: none drafted
7th round: 2 for 3 (Givens, Ebert, Edelman, great success rate)

Given that two of those picks were clearly flier picks (Sam, Tate), that lessens the "problem" even more. Is there an issue with the Patriots at WR? Sure, to an extent, but it's largely an across the board issue of trying to fix the position on the cheap as opposed to being a draft failure, FA failure, trade failure, etc....

It wasn't about feeling good. You've been posting silliness all day, and that was just the height of it. Claiming a "0 percent" success rate in the same post where you named Branch was asinine. Your garbage posts about Welker have been every bit as bad. It really doesn't matter what your confidence level is right now, since your takes are almost completely nonsensical at the moment.

Clearly... It doesn't mean he's a god. We're just talking success/failure here, after all.

"but still" what? He's a successful pick as a WR. That was what you were claiming wasn't happening.

The point doesn't stand at all, because you're deliberately crafting your argument and it's so obvious that it's pathetic. Using "11 years" as a cutoff is an obvious attempt to cherry pick. The Patriots have had drafting issues, but they were largely contained in the 2006-2009 span, and happened without regards to position. Under BB, here is the WR draft history:

2nd round: Branch, Johnson, Jackson (1 for 3, not good, not awful)
3rd round: 0 for 2
4th round: none drafted
5th round: 0 for 1
6th round: none drafted
7th round: 2 for 3 (Givens, Ebert, Edelman, great success rate)

Given that two of those picks were clearly flier picks (Sam, Tate), that lessens the "problem" even more. Is there an issue with the Patriots at WR? Sure, to an extent, but it's largely an across the board issue of trying to fix the position on the cheap as opposed to being a draft failure, FA failure, trade failure, etc....

It wasn't about feeling good. You've been posting silliness all day, and that was just the height of it. Claiming a "0 percent" success rate in the same post where you named Branch was asinine. Your garbage posts about Welker have been every bit as bad. It really doesn't matter what your confidence level is right now, since your takes are almost completely nonsensical at the moment.

Lol alright Mrs. Welker sorry that I'm not enamored with madden stats in the regular season and dropsies when it matters in the playoffs :rocker: Welker or Bust!

What I say to that is Denver seems like they are set for the future at #1 & #2 and they can thank McDaniels for it.

I would assume any receiver drafted would ultimately be McDaniels pick. Now that's not to say if McDaniels said he wanted Justin Hunter in the 1st round and he was there at #29 that Belichick would go for it. That's saying if Belichick said I want a receiver with our first pick that McDaniels would have a lot of say on who it was.
If New England drafts a receiver in the first round, BB should defer that decision to McDaniels. His track record with Denver was very good.

What's the boards opinion on signing Dwayne Bowe. It is doubtful KC franchises him again and he has had success in the Weis offense, his best year as a pro actually with Matt Cassel throwing him the ball

72 Receptions, 1162 yards, 16.1 yards per catch, 15 TDs

He would probably cost the same as Welker, but for a few more years

5 years 50 million is the most he'd cost.

This would give our offense a true do it all receiver he's physical, he can go deep, he can catch intermediate balls, draws the number 1 corner, takes off pressure from the middle.

Lets get Brady his best receiver since Moss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g5HqKlFpVk

I think Bowe would compare more with Braylon Edwards than Randy Moss...

Bowe 6'2 222lbs runs a 4.51 40
Moss 6'4 210lbs runs a 4.25 40

Anytime you're 2010 stats for a 2013/2014 free agent it's not really an ideal situation.

We put up 13 points this past weekend. The 85 Bears D might not have been able to win that game for us.

I respectfully disagree.

While the offense did not execute inside of FG range, they still had the ball a whopping 8 times inside the BAL 35 yd line, which is normally FG range on a less windy day.

428 yards, and almost 50% conversion rate on 3rd downs (7 for 15, with at least a few of those being shot in the foot like the Solder holding penalty, the untimely drop by Welker which could have changed the entire game on the first possession of the 3rd quarter as we moved into BAL territory).

The score was 14-13 with 14 minutes left in the ballgame...it wasn't until the BAL offense started clicking and throwing the ball all over the field that they went up 21-13, and that was caused by unusual Patriot-like miscues and unfortunate circumstances that usually don't happen. Then of course we had Ridley knocked out unconscious on the fumble after driving the ball very nicely again, only to turn it over. The following possession resulted in much of the same, moving the ball downfield until a tipped pass at the LOS resulted in the INT.

We also don't usually choose to punt inside of FG range, but did it 2x in the first half of the ballgame due to unusual winds. Not only that, how often does Brady mismanage the time to take away at least one, if not two more attempts at a TD to close out the half? The score should have been 17-7 at worst heading into the half, that's still leading by 10 no matter how you look at it.

Actually, I'm not sure if you saw the stat but Tom Brady was 67-0 at home when leading any of the 67 games at halftime prior to this game. Bill Belichick himself was 72-1 when leading at the half at home, so they don't blow too many leads obviously. Lately the M.O. of the defense has been to give the game away, particularly in the big game scenarios, and particularly in the 4th quarter--just like Sunday.

Expecting Brady to win every single game is not realistic, and no other QB in NFL history has had to endure that kind of pressure...no one.

This defense needs to be able to win close, low scoring affairs too, and they have failed to do so in many, many key situations. If the defense doesn't allow Eli to march the entire length of the field TWICE in the past 2 SB's on the final drive, we win 2 more championships...I would've been happy with a split 1-1, but losing BOTH games on final drive downfield marches in embarrassing to say the least.

The offense in about 9/10 cases scores at least another TD in Sunday's game, but the defense needs to be able to hold the opposition to at least one full TD less and not give up more than about 20-21 points. In that case we may have lost this year in a close 23-20 game, or even a close 21-20 game, but I would have been able to live with that as these teams are evenly matched. It was the defense's demise that changed the whole perspective of Sunday's game, as they allowed BAL to score 21-0 in the last third of the game----which is getting to be the norm around here in big playoff games more often than not, particularly in the last quarter.

I think Bowe would compare more with Braylon Edwards than Randy Moss...

Bowe 6'2 222lbs runs a 4.51 40
Moss 6'4 210lbs runs a 4.25 40

Anytime you're 2010 stats for a 2013/2014 free agent it's not really an ideal situation.

I like the OP's idea of the bigger, more physical WR, sure...but I wouldn't touch Dwayne Bowe with a 10 foot pole, at least not at the money that he'd command.

We just aren't going to bring in an outsider for the role of mega-million dollar WR, I very seriously doubt that it will happen. Hell, we may not even end up signing our own version of the 10 million dollar per year guy, and all he's done is put up 100+ catch seasons 5 out of the last 6 yrs!!!

Gambling on an outsider who may fail to pick up the system is just not Belichick's M.O., and understandably so.

I think the issue needs to be addressed via a double up at the position much like the TE, RB, and last yr's front 7 choices that payed big dividends. While the odds are low that both would work out, we should be able to take advantage of at least one on a cheaper rookie deal.

I think one in the high rounds, and one in the middle/low rounds is certainly needed, along with the possibility of a mid level FA signing due to the lack of WR's under contract. That still leaves the secondary and offensive line to be addressed wherever needed during April's draft.

If New England drafts a receiver in the first round, BB should defer that decision to McDaniels. His track record with Denver was very good.

I could be mistaken, but I thought I read in "war room" that it was McD that pushed so hard for the Jackson pick. I know he was the coach when the Broncos drafted Thomas, and Decker, but thats it. So I don't think I would go so far as to say he has a good track record. No better than BBs,,,,which isnt great either ;)

edit; though i suppose i should give him credit for getting both those guys in the same draft :)

edit; though i suppose i should give him credit for getting both those guys in the same draft :)

All the more reason to consider a double up on draft day, right? Hey it worked out pretty well for the TE, RB, and DE/OLB positions in the past couple of years. Although we may not hit on both it would improve the odds of hitting on something.

Something in rounds 3 and 5, or to that effect? I am expecting at least one trade out to acquire a mid round pick or two. That could still potentially allow them to acquire additional needs in the secondary, or in the trenches on the O or D lines too.

We keep hearing about the deep safety class, but Belichick has often gone in the other direction before so I'm wondering if a safety will actually be chosen, especially after last year's choice of a round 2 safety with Wilson?

They may actually surprise us and target a FA safety this year. That would instantly shore up the position and also allow Wilson to continue to progress while seeing role duty and sub package situations for another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes