PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dwayne Bowe: Sign the Beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed and to those that say Bowe may not have chemistry with Brady. Screw it dude is one of the smartest quarterbacks ever, how can he not find a way to use this physical BEAST its not a 35 year old ocho stinko its 28 year old in his PRIME Bowe

Wouldn't be the first time they said screw it only to find it truly screwed. Bowe is a selfish, mistake prone talent who shows up to play when it suits him and that's not on a consistent basis. He was part of the problem in KC where Pioli wrestled with flipping him only to be talked out of it by Haley. Should have flipped him and kept the TE instead and he might still have a job.

Wes Welker is a much better receiver than Dwayne Bowe. And, by much better, I mean that Bowe doesn't even belong in the conversation.

I would stay away from Bowe because he has terrible dropsies, but I'm willing to bet that the open market will say that Bowe is not only in the same conversation, but about $2m/year better than Welker.

No....

The WR they get needs to replace Branch, but he needs to be an outside the lines guy who can win battles against press coverage.

Yeah, I think Bedard did a pretty good job highlighting Branch's play on Sunday in his column and why he needs to go into a forced retirement. The Pats need a third WR who can do something. I think Edelman can be that guy, but he needs to stay healthy.

I would stay away from Bowe because he has terrible dropsies, but I'm willing to bet that the open market will say that Bowe is not only in the same conversation, but about $2m/year better than Welker.

Money often doesn't match talent. That's one thing that's consistent in every pro sport. Welker is always going to be underrated because he's "just a slot WR", even though he's one of the elite WRs in the game. That's why he's not getting 14-16 million a year.

Personally, I don't know enough about Bowe (how many KC games have anyone of us actually watched), but I don't know if he is a fit here. He didn't get along with Pioli and Crennel. So I doubt he is going to get a glowing recommendation.

Bowe had his worst catch %/ targets last year. Overall he catches between 54-59% of passes thrown to him every year and was at his best was when Weis was there and Cassel was upright. Lloyd was about 57% last year.

I don't want to give any WR at 10 mil. The draft has some good WR's who will go late 1 to the end of the 2nd. I'd be happy trading Welker for a pick, drafting WR with 2 of your first 3 picks, bringing back Edelman and using the rest of the money on Talib, maybe Vollmer or maybe more D help.

You can't trade a play who isn't under contract. Welker will be an UFA when you can begin making trades again at 4PM on March 12th. Unless they tag him again by March 4th, and he'd have to sign that tag to be tradeable. Last season he signed his tag in May in order to attend mini camp and as a show of good faith and lost all leverage. He also saw them attempt to replace him with Edelman early in the season and had it worked he knows where that likely would have landed him. On the trading block with no say over where that landed him. He'd have zero incentive to do that to himself again this season. He'll have more choice and get paid more as a FA. Otherwise he likely doesn't sign a tag this time until camp opens if not later.

Whatever WR we get, needs to replace Lloyd, not Welker. Lloyd is an idiot who can't take a hit, and can't get YAC.

Lloyd came to us dirt cheap. Sign Welker, keep Lloyd, draft a receiver that is capable of threatening every level of the field with a high round pick, and for God's sake, DON'T MISS.

You think rookies will be good enough come play off time to help us out,

it takes a while we drafted Branch in 02 and missed the playoffs. I'm scared to trust our last few golden years to rookies at position we have 0 success at drafting.

I think it's possible. Gronk and Hernandez came in and contributed their rookie years. McDaniels would probably have a big say on who the WR or WRs would be. Denver seems like they'll be fine for a few seasons at the WR position. McDaniels is the reason for that. Thomas in the 1st and Decker in the 3rd.

I just think with Gronk, Hernandez, Lloyd, Edelman (if he is back), Ballard(?) and the running game you could ease rookie receivers in through the course of the year and then in November you start implementing them more. If a guy can play, he can play. TY Hilton, Chris Givens, Josh Gordon, etc are proof of that.

But it's not like rookie receivers would now be the vocal point of the offense they would be a compliment.

And the Branch is example, I don't know, if a rookie where to come into this offense and put up something similar (maybe a little better) to what he did but did it as an outside threat in this offense. Isn't that what we want? Besides that was a Charlie Wise offense that wasn't exactly coming off a season that statistically was one of the best offenses of all time.

So maybe this offense is at the point where a rookie wide receiver that is physical or is legit deep threat on the outside could come in and help.

And maybe they also take a run at signing someone like Brandon Gibson not flashy but a guy that has been consistent and McDaniels has some familiarity with. With what I have seen he seems like a some what physical outside guy that can go up and get it.

and for God's sake, DON'T MISS.

What I say to that is Denver seems like they are set for the future at #1 & #2 and they can thank McDaniels for it.

I would assume any receiver drafted would ultimately be McDaniels pick. Now that's not to say if McDaniels said he wanted Justin Hunter in the 1st round and he was there at #29 that Belichick would go for it. That's saying if Belichick said I want a receiver with our first pick that McDaniels would have a lot of say on who it was.

It's very imprecise to talk about WR1, 2, etc especially when many of the TEs fill these roles.

Anyway, with Gronk and Hernandez healthy - Welker, Edelman, and Lloyd is nigh unstoppable.

The issues ONLY begin when one of the TEs go down. If Ballard can take replace production effectively when someone goes down we are good.

If forced to go 3WR when Gronk or Hernandez is out though we have serious issues against good defenses as we saw.

We couldn't beat the ravens with Hernandez out and we couldn't beat them with Gronk and Edelman out.

Therefore we need more production out of the 3WR set. Welker, Lloyd, and Edelman can't threaten the outside with only one of the TEs.

Makes sense to either get a TE who can so we don't go 3WR or replace one of the 3 WRs with a deep threat.

Lloyd came to us dirt cheap. Sign Welker, keep Lloyd, draft a receiver that is capable of threatening every level of the field with a high round pick, and for God's sake, DON'T MISS.

I actually LOL'd there for a minute. I mean, that's a BIG IF with this NE system...What do you think it would take for Larry Fitz? (obviously restructuring that enormous deal)

we got lloyd for pennies and still makes those amazing catches on the sidelines...i don't see many if any in the NFL make the catches he makes sometimes

You think rookies will be good enough come play off time to help us out,

it takes a while we drafted Branch in 02 and missed the playoffs. I'm scared to trust our last few golden years to rookies at position we have 0 success at drafting.

Your posts today are making no sense at all. You note Branch here, but then claim the team's had 0 success at drafting the WR position.

all the people wanted bowe...pats get him...see how many balls he drops...says he sucks

About how it would go down

I like Lloyd very much, but there is at least a grain of truth in that post: He shies away from contact in a way that makes Deion Branch look like Earl Campbell.

I see where people are coming from, but bottom line is he gets first downs. And to be honest, I like what Lloyd does, by shying away. He's not big at all and it makes me feel confident he'll be healthy for the whole season. Maybe Gronk can learn a thing from Mr.Lloyd.

I'm not even going to think about it. I've learned that WR's that put up good numbers elsewhere won't fit in here because they don't block well enough, don't know the whole route tree, can't learn the offense or don't have the right attitude.

I see where people are coming from, but bottom line is he gets first downs. And to be honest, I like what Lloyd does, by shying away. He's not big at all and it makes me feel confident he'll be healthy for the whole season. Maybe Gronk can learn a thing from Mr.Lloyd.

He is a small WR...not built like megatron. You are going to cover your ass when you are crossing the middle i don't care who you are. if we lost lloyd this year...we would have been F'ed

He is a small WR...not built like megatron. You are going to cover your ass when you are crossing the middle i don't care who you are. if we lost lloyd this year...we would have been F'ed

Exactly. I'm tired of injuries in the playoffs from vital parts of this offense and defense. If Lloyd shying away from contact for 16 games in the regular season, (while still picking up 1st downs) means he'll be healthy for the playoffs, then I'm OK with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down