DT Tommy Kelly restructures his contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Hat tip to Field Yates for this info

Tommy Kelly restructures pact - New England Patriots Blog - espn

Patriots defensive tackle Tommy Kelly has restructured the final year of his contract, creating about $800,000 in cap space for the team.

Kelly was set to earn $2.5 million in his contract -- $1.95 million in base salary, a $50,000 workout bonus and $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses.

As part of the restructured pact, it now breaks down this way:

Signing bonus: $100,000
Base salary: $955,000
Roster bonuses: $800,000 ($50K per game he's on the 46-man active list)
Total value: $1.85 million

The deal also includes the following playing-time incentives:

20 percent -- $95,000
30 percent -- $195,000
40 percent -- $345,000
50 percent -- $495,000
60 percent -- $645,000​

Pats will make moves soon. They're preparing for more moves. Can't wait to see what they might be

Great to know he'll still be on the team.

Hope this means we are about to make some moves.

An extra 800,000 we can put towards getting Brady a weapon :eyebrows:

Nice!!! Glad he will be back.

What year does the playing time incentives count against the cap? This years or next year?

What year does the playing time incentives count against the cap? This years or next year?

Short version: they don't count right now (he only played 19% of snaps in 2013). However, I believe $250K of the $800K in roster bonuses count against this year's cap.

Long version: wait for Miguel. ;)

Happy news, Kelly was dominant before his injury in 2013, here's hoping he can recover from the ACL and be back to what we were seeing early on. He's a very good player when healthy.

hey - that 800k sounds just about how much we would need for Browner... :cool:

This is GREAT new on 3 fronts. First, in the last day, we've created over $15MM in cap space. 2nd, it looks like Kelly is doing well enough in his rehab that the Pats think he'll be back to 100% before TC. Finally the chance that my dream DT tandem of Kelly (6'6) and Hageman (6'6) is still a possibility.

Having Kelly back, goes a long way to solidifying the DT position before the draft. Thanks for the post JM

we have 18 million to spend (included wilfork being cut when he is)

[email protected] @patscap

have #Pats with 18,224,084 in cap space. Number includes Revis signing, Kelly restructure, Hooman's resigning+ anticipates Wilfork's release

Good knowing he will around softens the blow of Vince.

He obviously has his own injury and is getting up there in age but assuming he gets back to form him and Siliga make a pretty good duo in the middle. Chris Jones and Vallano are ok as back ups. Certainly room to improve but if we had to go with this group it still beats what we had last year.

I don't see a free agent I covet so I guess look to the draft and/or Armstead for possible improvements.

and then there's Armstead...everyone forgets he's STILL a part of this team for a reason

We are likely to see more production from each of our DT than we did last year.
Kelly
Jones
Siliga
Armstead
Vellano
Forston

In addition, our cost is significantly reduced (no Wilfork, no Sopoaga and a reduced Kelly)

This is all to the good.
=============
OPPORTUNITIES
We will have opportunities in free agency and the draft to upgrade the position. That is always the case.

God speed Mr. Kelly.

Productive when healthy hope he can recover and stick around

Ah Tommie Kelly me boy. May ye be havin' yourself a fine Saint Paddy's Day now!
A wee drop or two is in order as training camp is yet far away.

and then there's Armstead...everyone forgets he's STILL a part of this team for a reason

Out of sight, out of mind.

At the end of the year there is a LTBE/NLTBE reconciliation that will affect the 2015 adjusted cap number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3