PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Browner contract details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! Reiss and Yates just posted the breakdown of Browner's contract and it is a very team friendly deal.

Total value: $12.35 million
Maximum value: $16.8 million
Signing bonus: $0

Base: $1 million (guaranteed)
Offseason workout bonus: $250,000
Roster bonus: $500,000 for making the 53-man roster at any point during the season (just has to be on it for one day and he sees this)
Second roster bonus: $150,000 per game he's on the 46-man roster
Playtime incentives: Up to $1.25 million

Base: $1.9 million
Roster bonus: $2 million (90-man roster at start of league year)
Second roster bonus: $100,000 per game he’s on the 46-man roster
Playtime incentives: Up to $500,000 ($250k for 75 percent playing time; another $250k for 85 percent playing time)

Second roster bonus: $100,000 per game he’s on the 46…
Playtime incentives: Up to $500,000 ($250k for 75 percent playing time; another $250k for 85 percent playing time)

Closer look at Brandon Browner's contract - ESPN

With Arrington freeing up $1.4m next year if cut and Dennard and Ryan being a combined cap hit of $1.42m I think Arrington is a likely candidate for a cut after this season. Especially if Belichick extends Revis.

I bet the Patriot's offer to Talib would have been different and yet similar in team protection which makes his deal in Denver look that much worse. If he plays he'll be worth the money to the Broncos but the associated risk is just too high. This is a great contract for the Pats and if Browner performs for him as well.

Damn, that's a great deal for the pats. Really protects themselves and Browner if he stays the course will be in the fold to make this money over the course of his deal. Very team friendly base!

This is an awesome contract. If he performs, he's clearly worth way more than he's getting. If he doesn't, we don't lose much.

Thanks for finding this, Rob. I have a few questions

1. Would the Pats have to pay the guaranteed million if for some reason he doesn't make it out of TC.?

2. With all the variables in this contract and the fact he will miss the first 4 games, what is going to be his listed cap charge to start the season?

3. Am I correct in my assumption that if he could make as much as $4.5MM if he maxes out his contract in 2014.?

If I am right on #3 and the Pats don't have to pay him anything if, for some reason, he busts out before the season, then I'm really happy with this contract. I'll be even happier if Miguel winds up telling us his cap number is around $2MM.

What this contract means is that the Pats have pretty much taken all the risk out of Browner signing.

1. The Pats now have a proven starting NFL CB, with a body and skill set that they didn't have prior to the signing.

2, They have him here for the entire off season to even better evaluate his skills, locker room make up, and the best ways to use him on the field.

3. If he turns out to be an idiot, and it becomes clear that the signing was a mistake, then at worst it will cost the Pats just $1MM, or possibly nothing

4. He not only has to be on the team to make his per game bonus, he has to be on the game day roster. So if he isn't playing well or injured the Pats can mitigate up to $1.8MM of that $4.5M\

5. Plus they are protected for another $1.25MM if he either isn't playing well or is injured with his snap incentives

6. So here's what where left with:

If he was a complete mistake or can't play anymore, he might not cost us a thing, depending on how the $1MM guarantee is worded

If he's makes the team, but is a relative bust as a player, he's likely going to cost some where in the neighborhood of about $2MM

Finally, if he turns out to be the impact player we hoped we signed, it will be $4.5MM. And that would be a very cheap price to pay for an impactful vet DB in this era.

I have to admit that when the numbers were first reported I was concerned. I should have known better. OK Rob, now go find the Edelman numbers ;)

That is a very friendly contract. The lack of guaranteed money is pretty striking, and means there's basically no cap ramifications if he gets banned and is cut.

Awesome. Where's Edelman's contract btw? Surprised we haven't heard anything in 2 days. Guys who got signed last night already have details out.

First year cap hit about $2,000,000?

Awesome. Where's Edelman's contract btw? Surprised we haven't heard anything in 2 days. Guys who got signed last night already have details out.

We'll probably see his and LaFell's sometime today or tomorrow. They happened on Saturday and the team has 2 days of the official signing to send it to the NFL. Which then Herr Goodell (or one of his lackey's in NFL reich) approves or denies it.

First year cap hit about $2,000,000?

Miguel just posted on twitter he believes it will be $2.95M

https://twitter.com/patscap/status/445593779949805568

[email protected] ‏@patscap 8m
(2/3) Closer look at Brandon Browner's contract - ESPN 2.95m in 2014, 4.7m in 2015, and 2016. Once Browner serves his suspension, Pats will get a $58,823.53 credit

https://twitter.com/patscap/status/445594106082103297

[email protected] ‏@patscap 8m
(3/3) for each game missed up to 4 games. Have Pats w 7,854,034 in cap space BEFORE accounting for the Lafell and Edelman signing

https://twitter.com/patscap/status/445595508443455488

[email protected] ‏@patscap 53s
Pats under cap by 7,854,034. No includes Browner signing and has Wilfork on roster. Will update pages after work.

Wow! Reiss and Yates just posted the breakdown of Browner's contract and it is a very team friendly deal.

Total value: $12.35 million
Maximum value: $16.8 million
Signing bonus: $0

Base: $1 million (guaranteed)
Roster bonus: $500,000 for making the 53-man roster at any point during the season (just has to be on it for one day and he sees this)
Second roster bonus: $150,000 per game he's on the 46-man roster
Playtime incentives: Up to $1.25 million

Second roster bonus: $100,000 per game he’s on the 46-man roster

Second roster bonus: $100,000 per game he’s on the 46…

Closer look at Brandon Browner's contract - ESPN

If he plays 12 games in 2014 and 16 games in both following years, is on the 46 for all 44 games after his suspension ends, and earns all of his playing time incentives, then isn't $16.8M the maximum possible value to him (since he loses half of his 2014 salary), but the maximum charge to the Patriots would be just over $17M (since he still gets charged to our cap for 75% of his 2014 salary)?

Breakdown looks like this:

2014:
Games played: 12
Salary: $750,000 ($1,000,000 base - 25% for suspension)
Bonus for making the roster: $500,000
Per-game bonus earned (@150k per game): $1,800,000
Playing time incentives: $1,250,000
TOTAL: $4,550,000

2015:
Games played: 16
Salary: $1,900,000
Bonus for making the roster: $500,000
Bonus at start of league year: $2,000,000
Per-game bonus earned (@100k per game): $1,600,000
Playing time incentives: $500,000
TOTAL: $6,500,000

2016:
Games played: 16
Salary: $1,900,000
Bonus for making the roster: $2,000,000
Per-game bonus earned (@100k per game): $1,600,000
Playing time incentives: $500,000
TOTAL: $6,000,000

Total, 2014-2016: $17,050,000

I would be really curious to see a breakdown of the playing time bonus for 2014. In 2015 and 2016, he earns half of it if he hits 75% playing time, and the whole amount of he hits 85%. If it's the same in 2014, then missing 25% of the season off the bat would mean that he couldn't earn any of that bonus. Since I assume that his agent isn't in the business of negotiating incentives that are literally impossible to hit, I would think that it's structured differently for 2014.

This contract is for serious money. The first year is basically a show-me contract with lots of protections. By Year 2, Browner gets $4M by the first game plus $2M in game incentives.

Browner is expect to be a key part of our defense for the 3 years.

With that cap space before the JE and BL signings, I am guessing there are gonna be some restructures or it means Wilfork is getting cut if he doesn't change his contract. Definite moves ahead.

Maybe Gost/McCourty extension?

Cut A Wilson or Vince? Connolly takes a pay cut?

Great contract. If he wants the $ he has to perform. Let's hope he does and both parties are happy.

Wilfork's situation needs to be fixed. It is just that simple. We could extend Connolly and save a million; that might be done.

Gost and McCourty extensions save about $1M each. These contracts will likely take a long time to negotiate.

Cutting Wilson just means that we need to replace him. There would likely be no money savings.

Given that we are down 2 linemen (Wendell and Svitek), it seems unlikely that we would cut someone who can start at three positions. At very least Connolly would be the Game Day backup at all three interior line spots. I don't think that Connolly would take a pay cut, although that is certainly possible given the market.

With that cap space before the JE and BL signings, I am guessing there are gonna be some restructures or it means Wilfork is getting cut if he doesn't change his contract. Definite moves ahead.

Maybe Gost/McCourty extension?

Cut A Wilson or Vince? Connolly takes a pay cut?

This contract is for serious money. The first year is basically a show-me contract with lots of protections. By Year 2, Browner gets $4M by the first game plus $2M in game incentives.

It is either a deal for serious money or a deal for one year for ok money. It all depends on what kind of player Browner turns out to be.

You missed one additional aspect of the contract that further protects the Pats. As I read it, the Pats will have a couple of weeks between the superbowl, and the start of the league year, when they can cut ties with Browner without any cap consequences. The same out goes before the 2016 season. This is like the out that the Broncos had in the Welker deal.

Yup.

It's a one-year deal with an option.

You missed one additional aspect of the contract that further protects the Pats. As I read it, the Pats will have a couple of weeks between the superbowl, and the start of the league year, when they can cut ties with Browner without any cap consequences. This is like the out that the Broncos had in the Welker deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back