PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tommy Kelly salary watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot, is agent probably took 15% for getting him the least he could legally get.:(

I'm assuming this is meant as a joke, but it's worth pointing out that the CBA explicitly limits agent commissions to at most 3% of a player's salary (and in cases of tenders, either 2% or 1%).

I think he got his feelings hurt, or wanted some guarantee, but if you mean he wouldn't have gotten snaps with Siliga, then Chandler Jones out, there's no way to prove it and we'll just disagree.
Which is why I stated my opinion.
He was behind Wilfork and Siliga in the base and maybe Chris Jones. He was behind Wilfork, Jones, Easley in the sub. He may have seen some action with Siliga out, as Joe Vellano did, but I'm not sure he would be playing ahead of Walker now either.
I'm not sure what Chandler Jones has to do with the DT rotation.
Kelly is an old player coming off a severe injury and just isn't what he used to be.

Assuming that its true that he asked for his release, if were BB, I would have told him,

"sorry me, but we really need you. You've been around Tommy. You should know how quickly things change in the NFL. Yes, at this point we want to go with a rotation at DT, but who knows how things turn out as the seasons go on. One key injury and you'll be back in my offense complaining about TOO much playing time. Stick around Tommy, I think its going to be a good year here."

Kelly is have a more than solid year with the Cards. I'm happy for him, and sad for us.
Kelly is having a 'more than solid year'? Based on what? Zero sacks or less than 2 tackles per game?

I believe even Belichick regrets, Kelly is playing in a high level in Arizona. It was a mistake, acknowledge that and move on. Mistakes happen.

Lets not confuse the matter with ridiculous statements like "Kelly is playing at a high level in Arizona".

This was one move that I was not in favour of. It weakened us at a position where we had players coming off injury and where injuries are fairly common. Kelly knew the system and by all accounts was a good team guy. Looking to save a little money here and in doing so, weakening the DL, still; makes no sense to me.

That isn't at all what happened. NE wasn't looking to save money, Kelly asked to be released.

Kelly is having a 'more than solid year'? Based on what? Zero sacks or less than 2 tackles per game?
Clearly I've been misinformed. I thought I had read that he was playing very well for the Cards, earning a lot of snaps, and had a couple of sacks.

Clearly I was wrong, but we both know that DLman stats can be very deceiving, and there have been multiple reports that Kelly is doing well. It's not like we get to see the Cards much on TV, so we could see for ourselves. However if we were to base his contribution merely on the raw stats, then I guess he isn't missed. But I know I miss the Tommy Kelly I saw in those first 5 games last season when he was our BEST DLman

Clearly I've been misinformed. I thought I had read that he was playing very well for the Cards, earning a lot of snaps, and had a couple of sacks.

Clearly I was wrong, but we both know that DLman stats can be very deceiving, and there have been multiple reports that Kelly is doing well. It's not like we get to see the Cards much on TV, so we could see for ourselves. However if we were to base his contribution merely on the raw stats, then I guess he isn't missed. But I know I miss the Tommy Kelly I saw in those first 5 games last season when he was our BEST DLman
I agree that DL stats are not a good yardstick.
But what I've seen has not been good and there are no stats there to dispute it. If he were here playing 71% of the snaps and had zero sacks, he would be ripped not missed.

Kelly isn't the player he was in those 5 (really 4 games plus a little) and he certainly was not our best DLineman. Even if you want to put him ahead of Wilfork, which is crazy because he wasn't close, he would still be 3rd behind Chandler Jones and Ninkovich.

Did I say he couldn't have helped the team? I said the opposite. He asked to be released, he said so, and BB honored his wish.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - my post was not a reaction to yours in the least, more a reaction to the reactions to your post. I agree with the bulk of that you've said in this thread.

And your point that us cutting him clearly had nothing to do with $$ is one worth making.

I didn't think salary was the given reason for Kelly's release request. IIRC, he asked to be released because he didn't think he would be a starter, particularly in the scheme we were adopting, and he wanted to play.

No. He asked to be released because he didn't feel he'd make the playing time incentives that the Patriots asked him to put in his contract this past off-season due to his injury. It had nothing to do with being a starter and everything to do with how he thought he was being viewed by the coaching staff. I think it's safe to say that he was wrong and that the Coaching Staff had every intention of him being the starter and rotating in Chris Jones on passing downs. Kelly's release led directly to the Pats having to go out and get Alan Branch.

Hard to blame Kelly, more his agent. Kelly's not doing the math.

Much like with the OL, we've weathered the storm of replacing a vet in Kelly on the DL - but I disagree with the notion he couldn't help out the team talent-wise. Looks like more a situation where Belichick saw a guy whose priorities didn't align right, looked at his value over replacement, and decided he wasn't worth it. There is something to be said about having [as many of the] 53 guys with the same goal. But with Siliga out, I wonder if he regrets it.

Yeah, amid many other good moves, this one has hurt the team. It happens, not a huge deal, but definitely a bit of a bummer.

No. He asked to be released because he didn't feel he'd make the playing time incentives that the Patriots asked him to put in his contract this past off-season due to his injury. It had nothing to do with being a starter and everything to do with how he thought he was being viewed by the coaching staff. I think it's safe to say that he was wrong and that the Coaching Staff had every intention of him being the starter and rotating in Chris Jones on passing downs. Kelly's release led directly to the Pats having to go out and get Alan Branch.

Just for a little context on the whole contract thing.

He's making $955k with the Cardinals

His restructure for NE

Signing bonus: $100,000
Base salary: $955,000
Roster bonuses: $800,000 ($50K per game he's on the 46-man active list)
$1.85m Just for being active 16 games

+Playing-time incentives:
20 percent -- $95,000 ($1.94m)
30 percent -- $195,000 ($2.04m)
40 percent -- $345,000 ($2.19m)
50 percent -- $495,000 ($2.34m)
60 percent -- $645,000 ($2.49m)

BTW before the restructure he could have made up to $2.5m.
Base salary: $1.95 million
Workout bonus: $50,000
Roster bonus: $31,250 per game that Kelly is active (maximum value of $500,000)
$2.5m

This excuse of playing time and money is such garbage. He could have been active for all 16 games and played less than 20% and he still would have made almost double than what he is getting in Arizona.

Last edited:
Here are his quotes. Please feel free to spin them:)

Arians’ praise “means I’m doing a good job but I have to keep getting better,” Kelly said. “What John did, he learned the playbook and then his talent came out because he wasn’t thinking no more. That’s why you have to learn the playbook and get to the point where I can just go. Let the talent come out.”

“I saw the situation and I realized I probably wouldn’t be there,” Kelly said. “I couldn’t take busting my tail every day getting to a game and them taking me out of the game for someone who I know isn’t better than me, because he’s a cheaper option. Are we worried about money here? Or are we worried about winning?”

“I knew if I got the opportunity to play, I could still play in this league at a high level,” Kelly said.

“You can’t ask for no more from your coaches,” Kelly said. “Just keep it ‘100’ for me. … I’m going to be a coach, and that’s exactly how I’m going to treat my players.”

No. Kelly was not going to be the starter. If he were, BB would have said "No you cannot be released, you will be starting."

Here are his quotes. Please feel free to spin them:)

Arians’ praise “means I’m doing a good job but I have to keep getting better,” Kelly said. “What John did, he learned the playbook and then his talent came out because he wasn’t thinking no more. That’s why you have to learn the playbook and get to the point where I can just go. Let the talent come out.”

“I saw the situation and I realized I probably wouldn’t be there,” Kelly said. “I couldn’t take busting my tail every day getting to a game and them taking me out of the game for someone who I know isn’t better than me, because he’s a cheaper option. Are we worried about money here? Or are we worried about winning?”

“I knew if I got the opportunity to play, I could still play in this league at a high level,” Kelly said.

“You can’t ask for no more from your coaches,” Kelly said. “Just keep it ‘100’ for me. … I’m going to be a coach, and that’s exactly how I’m going to treat my players.”

No spin necessary. He wasn't going to play here so he asked to be released so he could go somewhere else to play more.

Kelly is obviously worth more to the Cardinals than he was to the Patriots, which is often the case when players leave.. his playing time seems to be an exception, rather than a rule...

The Cardinals have a young D line, and can benefit from an experienced guy like Kelly....

I wasn't criticizing you or the OP in any way. Didn't mean to convey that at all.

No, I just give up having a nuanced argument and thought you got the premise. I don't love him or hate him, but there's no way in the world anybody reasonable could make this a "Patriots cheap" argument. I've tweeted some boston writers too, but the "story" is more important than the facts, as usual.

I suppose Belichick could have promised a 33 year old coming off knee surgery he'd play every game, so there's another angle.

He wants to start no matter what. Noble of him to take that much of a pay cut.

I guess the Cards upgraded him from a UDFA to a second round pick, in lieu of money.o_O

When Dockett got hurt, Kelly – who was a second-round pick in the same 2004 draft in which Dockett went to the Cardinals in the third round – noticed his draftmate’s bad news. He was still a Patriot at the time, though, and didn’t think much of it.

Kelly is obviously worth more to the Cardinals than he was to the Patriots, which is often the case when players leave.. his playing time seems to be an exception, rather than a rule...

The Cardinals have a young D line, and can benefit from an experienced guy like Kelly....

As long as by worth, you don't mean money. I agree money isn't everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe