PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tommy Kelly salary watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming this is meant as a joke, but it's worth pointing out that the CBA explicitly limits agent commissions to at most 3% of a player's salary (and in cases of tenders, either 2% or 1%).

Yes, it's a joke.

Dumping Kelly for no reason still makes me sick. Why would anyone want a cheap beastly DT on your team?

Dumping Kelly for no reason still makes me sick. Why would anyone want a cheap beastly DT on your team?
FWIW (and Iam sure I will get flamed for this)
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/51281
Tommy K (Arizona )

Miss me NOW, Billy B?

Mike
(11:17 AM)

On the Tommy Kelly stuff, I'm not sure this has come across prior, but if we go back and watch the preseason opener against the Redskins I think it's fair to say the tape didn't really reflect kindly on his desire to be in New England. It's a two-way street. For whatever reason, he wanted out. So you're Bill Belichick and the question becomes: Do you keep a disgruntled player? Or move on knowing you might have just weakened the on-field product? These are the challenges of putting a team together.

I believe even Belichick regrets, Kelly is playing in a high level in Arizona. It was a mistake, acknowledge that and move on. Mistakes happen.

He actually isn't playing at a high level, though.

Kelly was disgruntled because the Pats were disrespecting him and treating him like crap for no reason by phasing him out for a guy (Vellano) who's not even in the league anymore. Pats didn't want Kelly, period.
I am sure they would have allowed him to compete for that last roster spot with Vellano, which is where he was at. He was not ahead of Wilfork, Siliga, Easley, Chris Jones.
Of course he is angry, because he was beaten out. Who on that list would you put him ahead of?

I am sure they would have allowed him to compete for that last roster spot with Vellano, which is where he was at. He was not ahead of Wilfork, Siliga, Easley, Chris Jones.
Of course he is angry, because he was beaten out. Who on that list would you put him ahead of?
All of them except Wilfork. Siliga, Easley, and Jones did nothing in TC/preseason to "beat out" Kelly.

All of them except Wilfork. Siliga, Easley, and Jones did nothing in TC/preseason to "beat out" Kelly.
Wow. So you think that Kelly is better than Siliga, Easley and Chris Jones, and Belichick just decided not to play the best player? Really?
Did you watch Kelly play in the preseason? It wasn't pretty. It wasn't worthy of beating anyone out, including players out with injuries.
Just an FYI: You don't start with everyone in a dead heat and choose your roster and depth chart based on preseason play and health.

My understanding was that Kelly asked to be released because he feared he wouldn't get enough playing time to meet the incentives in his contract. The subtext was that Kelly was inferring that the Patriots were doing this deliberately to save money.

The Patriots granted his wish but I think they thought they might be able to resign him after he had a chance to see what his market value was, which it turned out to be vet minimum.

Personally, I think the Patriots could have handled this better. They should have kept Kelly and let him work through his anger issues with the organization. The only thing I can think of that might justify getting rid of him was that Kelly's *****ing and complaining was affecting the other players in the locker room.

My understanding was that Kelly asked to be released because he feared he wouldn't get enough playing time to meet the incentives in his contract. The subtext was that Kelly was inferring that the Patriots were doing this deliberately to save money.

The Patriots granted his wish but I think they thought they might be able to resign him after he had a chance to see what his market value was, which it turned out to be vet minimum.

Personally, I think the Patriots could have handled this better. They should have kept Kelly and let him work through his anger issues with the organization. The only thing I can think of that might justify getting rid of him was that Kelly's *****ing and complaining was affecting the other players in the locker room.

Why would you keep a guy who didn't earn playing time because he complains about not getting playing time.
Kelly is gone because he was not going to play, not because he was a key piece and BB wet himself when Kelly asked to be released. BB is not going to release a player he feels he needs.

Kelly was disgruntled because the Pats were disrespecting him and treating him like crap for no reason by phasing him out for a guy (Vellano) who's not even in the league anymore. Pats didn't want Kelly, period.
He was inferring his projected playing time by what he was seeing in preseason. Thats tough to judge. Especially he was coming of an injury. I wish he was here but I dont think the story is one sided like 'treating him like crap'. The didnt need to , they couldve just not brought him back after the injury.
And his comments after that pats are not commmited to winning all that didnt leave me personally with too many regrets.

He was inferring his projected playing time by what he was seeing in preseason. Thats tough to judge. Especially he was coming of an injury. I wish he was here but I dont think the story is one sided like 'treating him like crap'. The didnt need to , they couldve just not brought him back after the injury.
And his comments after that pats are not commmited to winning all that didnt leave me personally with too many regrets.

There is stink within that story too. He played with the 1s in the preseason because the players who were going to play ahead of him were injured. So, it is totally incorrect for him to say the way he was used in preseason games was the issue. He knew that he was losing his job. And he should have lost his job because we kept 4 better players at his position.

From Kelly..

“I saw the situation and I realized I probably wouldn’t be there,” Kelly said. “I couldn’t take busting my tail every day getting to a game and them taking me out of the game for someone who I know isn’t better than me, because he’s a cheaper option. Are we worried about money here? Or are we worried about winning?”

He wanted out. His ego took a hit. He wasn't going to make the PTIs...His comments could have been fueled by pride and/or money but for TK not to understand that the team is not about winning is a masking agent for something else. Absurd.

Tommy Kelly in 2014
w/the Pats 16 games- 0%-60% of snaps- $1.85m-$2.49m
w/the Cardinals 16 games- 0-100% of snaps- $955k

If this really was about money guy cut his nose to spite his face.

Assuming that its true that he asked for his release, if were BB, I would have told him,

"sorry me, but we really need you. You've been around Tommy. You should know how quickly things change in the NFL. Yes, at this point we want to go with a rotation at DT, but who knows how things turn out as the seasons go on. One key injury and you'll be back in my offense complaining about TOO much playing time. Stick around Tommy, I think its going to be a good year here."

Kelly is have a more than solid year with the Cards. I'm happy for him, and sad for us.

I like him myself, but was BB going to guarantee to sit Siliga for the year (pre-injury) So Kelly could play most of the time? I wouldn't. father time waits for no man.

Still think it was a stupid move..but that's me

Still think it was a stupid move..but that's me

So it was a stupid move to cut a guy that basically forced his way out because he wasn't guaranteed a certain amount of playing time?

You have only a fraction of the information on the situation yet somehow draw the conclusion that the Pats were treating him like crap intentionally. What little info out there paints a picture of an aging player coming off injury who got disgruntled with the business of the NFL.

It is disconcerting that a mind can form such a twisted view in the face of so much evidence to the contrary. Were our society not so messed up, I would just assume that you are a troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe