PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots may have missed their guy at 72?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and they wanted the pick to move up to get garcia
Yeah, it's tough to think they were upset with what was there at #83 when they traded up to #85. Clearly there were multiple players they liked at #83.

Perhaps. Not every trade-down is related to missing a guy either. But Reiss talked about the picks preceding it, and how several may have been candidates for the team and there was a bit of a "run" on them, so it may be that they didn't get a chance to move up, though maybe the chance at getting another draft pick in a draft where we're lacking them mattered more.

Ultimately, we'll never truly know. But that podcast was very interesting in terms of stuff like this.
Reiss also tweeted this, which suggests a different take on it. Seems he was suggesting not that their board was cleaned out but rather that it still was rich enough that moving down to gain draft currency was a good alternative.

I turned to my buddy when the vikings picked up Pat Elflein and said I bet the Patriots trade down. I just had a feeling he was a player we would be after.

We'll never know. Another case of armchair GM from the press.

We'll never know. Another case of armchair GM from the press.

Trying to make Reiss out to be an arm chair GM is laughable at best. Did you digest *any* of the material in the original post? Upgrade your clown nose to a set with glasses and gain some perspective.

clown-nose-with-glasses-hi.png

Trying to make Reiss out to be an arm chair GM is laughable at best. Did you digest *any* of the material in the original post? Upgrade your clown nose to a set with glasses and gain some perspective.

clown-nose-with-glasses-hi.png
you go. Internet tough guy

Reiss's latest quick-hit thoughts and notes references Mike Lombardi's podcast earlier in the week about teams sometimes moving down to get a chance to regroup when they miss someone.

If not for Senior Bowl, Patriots might have shied away from top draft picks

For those who didn't listen, I'd highly recommend listening to this specific episode, lots of draft war room stories from Lombardi's time with the Raiders and Patriots including another tidbit about Jimmy G which is also covered in Reiss's piece.

He also talks about the Senior Bowl and it's impact on our draft. Overall, good article and podcast to check out for those who haven't.

I was thinking the pats were interested in Elfein....

you go. Internet tough guy

I easily get carried away, my apologies.

The podcast is quite good. Pretty eye opening to the processes behind the scenes, how much they can differ between organizations and basic scope of draft tactics and prep work, presented by someone in the know. Worth a listen if you have some time.

When I watch the Pats Draft room, I marvel at the efficiency.. not a lot of folks hanging around, little fanfare. just "doing their job".

And the draft where the Pats got Malcom Brown is "Exhibit A".

BB had already worked out a tentative trade with Houston based on BB anticipating the Colts taking Brown, but did not pull the the trigger because Grigson happened and Brown ended up lasting to the Pats' pick.

LMAO! Yeah, that was the year the Colts (horrendous against the run) took the shiny, flashy TY Hilton instead of Malcom Brown. BB assumed even the Colts were't dumb enough to pass up the stud DL out of Texas. Guess the Colts fooled us again :rolleyes:

Connections with past staffers sparked Patriots' trade activity during draft

“Those trades are talked about many picks before that – ‘Hey, if my guy is not there at that pick, will you do this trade?’” Quinn explained. “So some of those trades are kind of worked out contingent on the team that’s on the clock: ‘Is your guy there or not?’

“That one was kind of done. It was actually more on the other side, we were waiting for them to kind of say, ‘Yeah, I’ll do it,' or not.”

Interesting stuff from Quinn. It doesn't directly answer the question of what happened at 72 (would have been great to hear from Robinson), but provides some insight on how someone with a Patriots background thinks.

Sounds like while waiting for a pick, they are active in trying to find a potential trade back partner just in case.

I'm sure there are spontaneous calls if a guy drops, but also sounds like they're giving themselves options and flexibility throughout the draft when possible.

When I watch the Pats Draft room, I marvel at the efficiency.. not a lot of folks hanging around, little fanfare. just "doing their job".

Especially considering the comparison with the 49ers draft atmosphere as laid out in the MMQB post. Fans who paid $30k to attend! Lots of bro hugs and fist bumps!

I wonder if BB has ever hugged anyone on draft day that wasn't related to him.

if thats true it means we indeed were trying to upgrade the C position...and even w/ extension still would be

LMAO! Yeah, that was the year the Colts (horrendous against the run) took the shiny, flashy TY Hilton instead of Malcom Brown. BB assumed even the Colts were't dumb enough to pass up the stud DL out of Texas. Guess the Colts fooled us again :rolleyes:

Right church, wrong pew. :) It was Phillip Dorsett.

Right church, wrong pew. :) It was Phillip Dorsett.

I didn't even catch that when I read that post. Actually, if it came down to Hilton and Brown, it seems like Hilton would be the obvious pick. Dorsett is no Hilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3