PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Browner contract details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilfork's situation needs to be fixed. It is just that simple. We could extend Connolly and save a million; that might be done.

Gost and McCourty extensions save about $1M each. These contracts will likely take a long time to negotiate.

Cutting Wilson just means that we need to replace him. There would likely be no money savings.

Given that we are down 2 linemen (Wendell and Svitek), it seems unlikely that we would cut someone who can start at three positions. At very least Connolly would be the Game Day backup at all three interior line spots. I don't think that Connolly would take a pay cut, although that is certainly possible given the market.
Miguel has us at $7.8MM right now, so you are correct. We still haven't accounted for LaFell and Edelman, and we are estimated to need $4MM for our rookies. So assuming that LaFell and Edelman are going to create a cap charge of at LEAST $2MM each, the Pats are effectively out of cap space. And most likely already eating into the $4MM rookie fund.

Lets assume that Lafell and Edelman are going to cost $5MM worth of cap space, so the Pats are going to have to create at least $2MM in cap space just to have enough to sign are rookies and have a $1MM reserve going into the season. Lets look at how we can expand that.

1. Cutting Vince will create $6.7MM,

2. and as you said, another $2MM in restructuring Connolly and extending McCourty.

3. I think we could also squeeze a few milliion out of an old fashioned restructure of Mankins.

Those actions would give us about $10MM to actually spend on FA's and still have the $4MM to spend on the rookies. Unfortunately we are going to need that much to sign Svitek or his replacement, Wendell or his replacement, Blount, and the FA DE and LB we have sign and still have enough to sign our rookies and have a reserve

With that cap space before the JE and BL signings, I am guessing there are gonna be some restructures or it means Wilfork is getting cut if he doesn't change his contract. Definite moves ahead.

Maybe Gost/McCourty extension?

Cut A Wilson or Vince? Connolly takes a pay cut?

I think we need to extend McCourtey no matter what. His value is only going to increase this season with the CBs the Pats have and he's in his final year.

A $7.5M budget seems about right. And that just happens to be the savings from cutting Wilfork. There is no choice.
=======================
I'd say that we are currently at the limit after accounting for LeFell and Edelman (with about $1M to spare). As you say, the obvious sources of cap money are cutting Wilfork and restructuring/extending Connolly. I count $1M left plus $7.5M plus $1M for a $9.5M total. I think that McCourty won't get done soon, but Gostkowski might get done, bringing us to $10.5M with $3M needed for camp.
======================
I believe that a total of $4M is needed at the end for rookies, Player 52, Player 53 and a reserve for injuries. The team usually keeps a cushion for NLTBE incentives. I see no reason for that now that all seem agree that the cap will continue to go up each year. As Migeul counts, rookies/draftees end up being a wash since we actually gain cap room by keeping UDFA's and late draft picks.

So, from Miguel's numbers, I would have the $1.7M plus $2.3M as an injury reserve during the season, or $4M at the end. One item that tends not to be factored in is the cost of players being put on IR during TC and the preseason. Even replacing with low cost vets could add a couple of million. I would add $2M as my cushion.

So for me, I guess the safe minimum amount to carry into camp is $3M ($6M less $3M for a Mankins restructure).
=================
From Miguel
-------------
Draft picks = (-2,000,000)

Players 52, 53, and practice squad (-1,700,000)

Robichaud roster effect – (2,000,000)

Cushion for replacing injured players during the season (-2,000,000)

Cushion for reached NLTBE incentives (-2,000,000)

Miguel has us at $7.8MM right now, so you are correct. We still haven't accounted for LaFell and Edelman, and we are estimated to need $4MM for our rookies. So assuming that LaFell and Edelman are going to create a cap charge of at LEAST $2MM each, the Pats are effectively out of cap space. And most likely already eating into the $4MM rookie fund.

Lets assume that Lafell and Edelman are going to cost $5MM worth of cap space, so the Pats are going to have to create at least $2MM in cap space just to have enough to sign are rookies and have a $1MM reserve going into the season. Lets look at how we can expand that.

1. Cutting Vince will create $6.7MM,

2. and as you said, another $2MM in restructuring Connolly and extending McCourty.

3. I think we could also squeeze a few milliion out of an old fashioned restructure of Mankins.

Those actions would give us about $10MM to actually spend on FA's and still have the $4MM to spend on the rookies. Unfortunately we are going to need that much to sign Svitek or his replacement, Wendell or his replacement, Blount, and the FA DE and LB we have sign and still have enough to sign our rookies and have a reserve

Again, a key point to remember is that at least some of that money is already on the salary cap.

As a rule of thumb, the only "new" money that is needed is the signing bonus prorations for players in the first four rounds, and—correct me Miguel if I'm not quite correct here—the money guaranteed to UDFAs.

Miguel lists Browner's 2014 cap hit as $2.95M on patscap.com.

That is a very friendly contract. The lack of guaranteed money is pretty striking, and means there's basically no cap ramifications if he gets banned and is cut.

If Kenny Britt were to get a similar deal, I'd be all right with that. These guys who get themselves in trouble should not get signing bonuses for merely showing up for their pre-employment physical.

I also like the amount of money in the games played component so that if they are not able to go due to being suspended, they don't get paid. Knuckleheads like Browner and Britt need to feel it in their pockets to have a chance of getting with the program.

To the poster who wrote about cutting Arrington, that completely misses the point. If Arrington focuses on covering the guy in the slot, he's terrific. Browner is a different player. Browner's job will be to cover big receivers and jam them at the line to get them out of their rhythm.

Browner and Dennard will be battling for snaps and serve as a terrific platoon against the #2 receivers of every team. In five-wide sets, you have to love Dennard, Revis, Browner, Arrington and McCourty in man or in a Tampa Two. There won't be any mismatches to exploit.

I hope all these guys can stay healthy this season. Throw in Adrian Wilson, Harmon and Ryan, that's quite a secondary. Add Jamie Collins to the mix on super-sized tight ends, and quarterbacks will have their hands full.

In just two years, the Patriots have morphed from a cringe-worthy secondary to one of the best in the league.

I can almost guarantee that Mankins will not restructure. I would not sleep for a week just due to the effect of the shock if he did.

Arrington is god awful, anything past 7 feet, whether slot or outside, he's done. Everyone else will have to carry his weight and with the FA signings, they will definitely be able to. I'm loving it.

People don't realize how lucky we are as fans to have a FO that can make smart long term deals contract wise. Imagine if we were Cowboys fans or Redskins fans? Back loading contracts to the fullest and ending up in cap hell every other year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back