PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Rumors

Not really a "rumor", but relevant: Taylor Lewan is being arraigned April 8 on 2 counts of assault and battery and 1 charge of aggravated assault stemming from a December incident.

NFL draft prospect Taylor Lewan facing 3 charges - ESPN

That could potentially have a big impact on his draft stock.

So with Bridgewater falling, can we expect to draft him in the 3rd round and hold him for ransom in a couple years?

So with Bridgewater falling, can we expect to draft him in the 3rd round and hold him for ransom in a couple years?

When we get a 1st and a 3rd for Mallett, I'm OK using the 3rd on Bridgewater.

Lache Seastrunk and/or De'Anthony Thomas would do nicely!

Seastrunk and Charles Sims are going on my big board as a potential second-third round picks. I like them both, particularly Sims.

Scott Carasick who ons the Draft Falcons website (a bit like NE Patriots Draft) says that the Falcons "love" Deone Bucannon.

Scott Carasick who ons the Draft Falcons website (a bit like NE Patriots Draft) says that the Falcons "love" Deone Bucannon.

I'm warming back up to Bucannon, in large part because of the Revis and Browner signings.

If you're going to play 2 deep safeties, then you want someone with exceptional range, vision, ball skills and coverage ability. Jimmy Ward, Lamarcus Joyner and Hasean Clinton-Dix fit that mold. But if you're going to play mostly a single high safety (Cover 1 and Cover 3) then you want a SS who can play in the box, support the run, and cover an underneath zone. Guys like Bucannon and Calvin Pryor should excel in that role.

The biggest question I have with Bucannon is how teachable he is, and whether he can learn to play with more discipline. And I still think I prefer Antone Exum, who has more versatility to play either role, or outside CB. But my interest is on the rise.

I'm warming back up to Bucannon, in large part because of the Revis and Browner signings.

If you're going to play 2 deep safeties, then you want someone with exceptional range, vision, ball skills and coverage ability. Jimmy Ward, Lamarcus Joyner and Hasean Clinton-Dix fit that mold. But if you're going to play mostly a single high safety (Cover 1 and Cover 3) then you want a SS who can play in the box, support the run, and cover an underneath zone. Guys like Bucannon and Calvin Pryor should exel in that role.

The biggest question I have with Bucannon is how teachable he is, and whether he can learn to play with more discipline. And I still think I prefer Antone Exum, who has more versatility to play either role, or outside CB. But my interest is on the rise.

I was one of the first to like him, but then soured on him because I didn't really like his instincts in either the pass or run game, he's too uncontrolled*. In a limited role I think he's fine and he certainly has the size and athleticism. He'll probably need to be taken with a second round pick and I don't like him as being that rich. I'd still rather have Ward (elite backfield or what?) or a LB conversion like KPL.

* this might be one of my blinkers. I don't like Pryor for the same reason.

Interesting that the Eagles are so interested in Jordan Tripp. Him and Mychal Kendricks would be quite the coverage duo.

I was one of the first to like him, but then soured on him because I didn't really like his instincts in either the pass or run game, he's too uncontrolled*. In a limited role I think he's fine and he certainly has the size and athleticism. He'll probably need to be taken with a second round pick and I don't like him as being that rich. I'd still rather have Ward (elite backfield or what?) or a LB conversion like KPL.

* this might be one of my blinkers. I don't like Pryor for the same reason.

Can't agree more, Manx. Bucannon misses a lot of tackles and takes bad angles a lot of the time, even though he makes the big hit. Pryor tends to go for the big hit a bit too much for my liking.

Ward is the best tackler of the three by my eye. He isn't as flashy and isn't as much of an assassin like Bucannon/Pryor, but he rarely misses tackles and is always under control. I prefer that.

I vastly prefer Exum especially when considering where he's likely to be drafted compared to Bucannon.

Can't agree more, Manx. Bucannon misses a lot of tackles and takes bad angles a lot of the time, even though he makes the big hit. Pryor tends to go for the big hit a bit too much for my liking.

Ward is the best tackler of the three by my eye. He isn't as flashy and isn't as much of an assassin like Bucannon/Pryor, but he rarely misses tackles and is always under control. I prefer that.

The one thing I would say in Bucannon's favour is that he's got great size combined with excellent athleticism. If he can be taught to be more controlled then there's something there. It's just that I'm not that happy using a 2nd on him. A 3rd would make me much more comfortable with the pick.

The one thing I would say in Bucannon's favour is that he's got great size combined with excellent athleticism. If he can be taught to be more controlled then there's something there. It's just that I'm not that happy using a 2nd on him. A 3rd would make me much more comfortable with the pick.

I agree, though I still would prefer Exum in the 4th. But Bucannon in the 3rd would probably be my second choice, assuming that he shows the ability to be teachable and play with more discipline and control.

There is no doubt that Jimmy Ward is a more disciplined player right now, and a better coverage safety. I'm just don't think he is a good fit for what we need right now.

I agree, though I still would prefer Exum in the 4th. But Bucannon in the 3rd would probably be my second choice, assuming that he shows the ability to be teachable and play with more discipline and control.

There is no doubt that Jimmy Ward is a more disciplined player right now, and a better coverage safety. I'm just don't think he is a good fit for what we need right now.

This is where we differ, and this is based purely on how I rate safeties. For me, instincts trumps all when it comes to safety play. I'd much rather have a smaller safety with elite instincts than a big athletic safety with poor instincts..regardless of perceived need or fit. As Hercules says, Ward would be a better SS than Bucannon because, whilst he doesn't have the size, his instincts are so much better.

Now, whether the value is there in drafting Ward issue a whole other issue. I could get comfortable with it because adding Ward would give us an outstanding safety tandem, but overall, I think it's a stretch. Shazier would make more sense because he linebacker and blitzing capabilities too.

This is where we differ, and this is based purely on how I rate safeties. For me, instincts trumps all when it comes to safety play. I'd much rather have a smaller safety with elite instincts than a big athletic safety with poor instincts..regardless of perceived need or fit. As Hercules says, Ward would be a better SS than Bucannon because, whilst he doesn't have the size, his instincts are so much better.

Now, whether the value is there in drafting Ward issue a whole other issue. I could get comfortable with it because adding Ward would give us an outstanding safety tandem, but overall, I think it's a stretch. Shazier would make more sense because he linebacker and blitzing capabilities too.

Couldn't agree more on Safetys and Shazier. We hunting LBs it seems and im starting to beleave more and more in a 3-4 base D. With a 5-2-4 or a 3-4-4 nickle/dime. To be able to master it Shazier makes to much sense.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back