PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Rumors

The part in BOLD is why Russel Wilson slid the way he did. People didn't believe he had the size. Now, that being said, Manziel doesn't have the body that Wilson does either.

I think that Manziel falls because of what you mentioned in terms of intangibles, but also falls because of his size because the NFL want's the 6'4 220 lb QBs.. Not the 5'11 mites who disappear in the mix so the fans can't see where the ball is..

I agree on the bold part however Manziel doesn't have Wilson's accuracy which for me along with being able to read a defense the most important QB qualities and he certainly doesn't have Wilson's character. Additionally Wilson can run but looks to pass first. Manziel wants to run even when he's going to pass. He'll get lit up like Vick and be perpetually injured.

Verret looks like a very good player but he is clearly a slot corner (IMO anyway) and with Arrington here for at least 2 more years we don't need that and should not invest our top pick in it when other needs are more pressing.

Uh-oh.

@Ethanhamm: “@TonyPauline: Separate sources tell me major red-flags on Aaron Lynch/DE-OLB/South Florida coming out of combine...” Oh.

10 char

I'd be happy with Verret or Donald if they fall to us.

I'd prefer Fuller or Pryor to Verette.
#29 is too early for an elite nickelback/slot CB.
I don't think Donald gets outside the top 15.

Ofc Vikings did us a big time favour when the resigned Cassel. Bob can't start a complete new type of offense in Texans without atleast some knows it. Gonna bet Edelman going there also ( or should i say hope )

Why would you hope for that?

I really hope this Mallet rumors are true but put no stock in them. Considering how deep this draft is I'd take Houston's 3rd and a conditional 2015 pick based on his performance.

Because i beleave Patriots easy can replace him. Getting a comp pick in return doing so is even better.

Some who has clearly forgotten that comp picks are not automatic.. If the Pats sign to a similar valued contact as Edelman (which they are likely to) then they won't get a comp pick because it will be off-set.

Saying that Edelman can easily be replaced is foolish and shows a lack of understanding of the hard work that guys like Edelman have put in.

The Pats still haven't replaced Hernandez and the receiving corps, though promising, is still unproven.

Because i beleave Patriots easy can replace him. Getting a comp pick in return doing so is even better.

If they can replace him easily, then why wouldn't the other team just sign that replacement directly?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be giddy over Mallett for 33. But who's the backup QB? Hoyer and Cassel are under contract. So is Kyle Orton, who would be a logical choice given his experience with McDaniels. There aren't any other experienced vets out there with experience in the Pats system. And regardless, they would likely cost far more against the cap than Mallett currently does.

So that means we draft a QB. Well, would the Pats *really* have an extra draft pick now, since they'll be forced to use one on a QB? That is to say, the trade could be viewed as Mallett for new QB plus moving up a few spots in the draft (if new QB drafted after round 2). Would we really be willing go let this draft pick be our sole backup QB this year? I know we did with Hoyer in 2009, but they actually went into camp with Kevin O'Connell and Matt Gutierrez as well -- Hoyer *won* the job rather than having it handed to him. So would we need to waste a spot on the 53 man roster to have a 3rd QB (a veteran) in case the draft pick isn't ready?

If these rumors are true, the above might be some of the reasons why the Pats are holding out for a huge offer.

I wonder if that's a good thing or bad thing for Bortles.

Since they're raving about Bortles workout here in Houston, I would say it's a good thing, assuming O'brien came to the same conclusion as the local press.

Since they're raving about Bortles workout here in Houston, I would say it's a good thing, assuming O'brien came to the same conclusion as the local press.

Thanks, I haven't been able to see any news about it yet. I was wondering if he had a bad workout like Bridgewater had.

Could be good, could be a smokescreen. If you're Houston you want to generate interest in other teams to trade up for #1. If for example Bortles gets hyped up enough, you could get a King's Ransom, similar to what the Chargers got from the Giants by trading down from Manning and taking Brees.

The other guy I'm keeping an eye on is Teddy Bridgewater. If Bortles takes the top spot and Bridgewater slides, BB might be able to hold an auction much like he did when he fleeced the Ravens for the rights to draft Kyle Boller -- that trade resulted in Vince Wilfork coming to NE the next year.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back