PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Rumors

Apparently the Lions aren't taking up Nick Fairly's option next year. Aaron Donald to the Lions @10?

From Walter Football today:

3/25/14: Sources tell WalterFootball.com that Donald could slide in the first round because there are only a few teams that he fits - namely Chicago and Dallas. Donald is a wild card who could go in the top 16, or one of those teams could move down and perhaps land him. A year ago a similar prospect, Sharrif Floyd, wasn't expected to slide into the teens and 20s, but that's what happened.

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Draft Big Board

Daniel Jeremiah has already said he thinks Donald is the best DT in this draft but that he expects Timmy Jernigan to go ahead of Donald because Jernigan fits more teams.

Please.

From Walter Football today:

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Draft Big Board

Daniel Jeremiah has already said he thinks Donald is the best DT in this draft but that he expects Timmy Jernigan to go ahead of Donald because Jernigan fits more teams.

Please.

F---ing insane. I know that teams often do stupid things, but teams in general draft football players. Donald had the best season of any d-lineman in this draft, and is a better player than Jernigan. Jernigan also has his system fit issues....can he play effectively in a 3-4? I don't see it.

Donald is a Warren Sapp type player, absolute chaos on the interior. I like Jernigan quite a bit, but Donald wouldn't have been gassed in the Natty on the most important drive of the season. He would have been in there killing guards. Jernigan will be a fine pro, Donald will be an All-Pro

I lost my hopes on us getting Donald after watching a lot of film, he can get picked inside the top 10, he is the chaos messenger, absolute beast. I would spend a 1st round pick on him over Clowney.

We would need a insane trade to get him.

I lost my hopes on us getting Donald after watching a lot of film, he can get picked inside the top 10, he is the chaos messenger, absolute beast. I would spend a 1st round pick on him over Clowney.

We would need a insane trade to get him.

"He is the chaos messenger". I love it. What a beautifully succinct expression of the kind of defense I would like to see. I wish I'd thought of the term.

And I've said several times that Donald is the single most disruptive defensive prospect in this draft, including Clowney.

I've been saying for a while I think Carr is the #2 QB off the board. I think Cleveland at 4 is a likely landing spot unless Oakland want to move up to grab him.

I am beginning to wonder if a team is going to select a QB in the first four picks of the draft, there does not appear to be any clear top QB at this point but there are some clear top players at other positions with Clowney, Mack, Watkins, Robinson, and Matthews. The problem with this QB class is it very similar to others that these same teams who are picking in the top ten have experienced in the past. Houston, St Louis, Cleveland, Jacksonville, and Oakland have all had their fair share of QB busts in the past decade of the draft, I am not sure they will roll the dice again.

I am beginning to wonder if a team is going to select a QB in the first four picks of the draft, there does not appear to be any clear top QB at this point but there are some clear top players at other positions with Clowney, Mack, Watkins, Robinson, and Matthews. The problem with this QB class is it very similar to others that these same teams who are picking in the top ten have experienced in the past. Houston, St Louis, Cleveland, Jacksonville, and Oakland have all had their fair share of QB busts in the past decade of the draft, I am not sure they will roll the dice again.

In top 5 Raiders and Jax are teams i would look at.

Not top 5, but i wouldn't rule out Bucs, Vikings, Titans and Cardinals so if you want a "top" QB then you'll have to pick one to be sure.

From a Patriots point of view, I would love Texans and Jax didn't pick - Then Jax might trade with us to move up to take Jimmy Garoppolo WHO i think they fall in love with. That leaves BOB with the option called Mallett ;)

In top 5 Raiders and Jax are teams i would look at.

Not top 5, but i wouldn't rule out Bucs, Vikings, Titans and Cardinals so if you want a "top" QB then you'll have to pick one to be sure.

From a Patriots point of view, I would love Texans and Jax didn't pick - Then Jax might trade with us to move up to take Jimmy Garoppolo WHO i think they fall in love with. That leaves BOB with the option called Mallett ;)

I suspect the Jags go QB if Clowney and maybe Watkins are gone. They might still be in the running for Mack though. I agree that they probably like Garoppolo and I think they'll target him at the top of the second. This is a good year to be picking in the top 5 and not going for a QB.

Pro Days - NFL.com
Mitch Ewald, K (5-9 1/2, 175) — All Ewald did at the pro day was kick off. He has accuracy (he made 80.3 percent of his field goal attempts during his Hoosiers career). Ewald is a free-agent possibility following the draft, especially given that the Patriots sent an assistant coach to take a look at him.

Look out Ghost, you make too much money money.

Pro Days - NFL.com
Mitch Ewald, K (5-9 1/2, 175) — All Ewald did at the pro day was kick off. He has accuracy (he made 80.3 percent of his field goal attempts during his Hoosiers career). Ewald is a free-agent possibility following the draft, especially given that the Patriots sent an assistant coach to take a look at him.

That's the third one.

Interesting as we would save $2.5M by cutting or trading Gostkowski. I'm not advocating that, when we line up for a big kick I'd prefer to have Gostkowski out there. But we know how Bill is, he let Vinatieri go over not a huge amount of money.

Interesting as we would save $2.5M by cutting or trading Gostkowski. I'm not advocating that, when we line up for a big kick I'd prefer to have Gostkowski out there. But we know how Bill is, he let Vinatieri go over not a huge amount of money.

Don't mean to take this thread off track, but I don't get this suggestion that Belichick doesn't pay or value kickers. It seems to me exactly the opposite -- that he values the position more than most do.

First off, the Patriots used the franchise tag on Vinatieri twice. As for "letting him go," Vinatieri has publicly said that when he signed with the Colts he didn't give the Patriots a chance to counter.

The Patriots responded by using a 4th-round pick on Gostkowski, making him the highest-drafted placekicker in the past 8 years. When his rookie contract expired they offered him the 2nd-round RFA tender, rather than the draft-round level as might have been expected. Then they signed to a long-term deal that made him one of the higher-paid kickers in the league.

I guess we'll see what happens with Gostkowski. My impression with Vinatieri was that he didn't give the Patriots a chance to match because he felt like he had been treated unfairly without a good long term deal earlier. My memory is fading with age, though.

Scott Wright has an interview with Tripp on his podcast this week. He asks Tripp what teams are showing interest in him. Tripp replies he can't divulge that information. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm:)

Scott Wright has an interview with Tripp on his podcast this week. He asks Tripp what teams are showing interest in him. Tripp replies he can't divulge that information. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm:)

Doesn't necessarily mean it's the Patriots.

True dat. Sounded like more than one team. But, just the way Tripp said it made me think he was coached on what to say.

It doesn't but it often does. A week or so ago Daniel Jeremiah was tweeting some things he learned when he was a scout and one of them was (paraphrasing) : "When a player says he talked to a team that he can't divulge, it was usually the Patriots".

It doesn't but it often does. A week or so ago Daniel Jeremiah was tweeting some things he learned when he was a scout and one of them was (paraphrasing) : "When a player says he talked to a team that he can't divulge, it was usually the Patriots".

I can confirm this tweet.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back