PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Rumors

Nope...They're going to select Mallett, and add him to the list of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, TJ Yates, and whatever new QB they're taking in the top 2-3 rounds of the draft, thus giving them FIVE backup/journeyman caliber QBs who can start a few games when needed.

When it comes time for practice, hours will be spent every day just trying to single out their depth chart, and they'll totally re-invent the game as we know it. Within the first few games of the season, all 5 QBs will see the field at the same time, thus taking away any need for other skill position players. Mallett will go on to set records as their new TE, and a high group of posters will have claimed to know his potential at the position all along, while claiming that Belichick just never got the opportunity to use his trick weapon in a live game setting.

I really don't get the hate on Mallett sup? All anyone has suggested is that his former OC may like him enough to take a shot at him yet many here feel the need to trash that. I could understand if people were saying that he was going to do it because he loves Mallett but that isn't the case, all anyone is saying is that it is a possibility.

I certainly wouldn't be shocked either way, so maybe "surprised" is a bit of a stretch, but I do disagree with the thought that we somehow have so many pressing needs that the pick would be wasted, should it occur in the 4th round or so.

That would still give us 4 other selections in the first 4 rounds to address the positions of want/need. As we know, there weren't any experts who predicted a 4th round comp pick. They all had it much, much lower in the 6th round or so. The possibility exists that BB will spend that pick on one of the better prospects (top 6-8-10) at the position of QB. After all, it certainly wouldn't be "wasted" if we covered our asses through March of 2019, with the possibility of having a decently talented player learn under Brady (and Mallett for his last year here).

I suppose that all depends on how much Belichick values the position of backup QB, but I tend to believe that he views it as important myself. I also don't see him worrying that much about spending a 4th round pick, but that all depends on a lot of variables that will play out that weekend.

I would take Mallett over Johnny Manizel every day of the week, manziel is going to be a world class bust. Unless someone decides to make him a slot receiver.

I really don't get the hate for Mallett here, it is way over the top. Mallett has done everything they have asked of him and has no problems at all yet people trash him at every turn. It's bullsh.t. Maybe all he will ever be is a back-up but he at least has won Belichick's confidence to the point where he goes into each season as the only option if Brady goes down, and that is no small achievement as Belichick is a tough guy to please and a tough guy to get his complete confidence.

If someone was seriously saying that Mallett is a lock to get the Texans to trade a high pick for, or anything like that then fine, take issue with it, but being turds simply because people suggest that O'Brien MAY like him and want him is crap.

I really don't get the hate for Mallett here, it is way over the top. Mallett has done everything they have asked of him and has no problems at all yet people trash him at every turn. It's bullsh.t. Maybe all he will ever be is a back-up but he at least has won Belichick's confidence to the point where he goes into each season as the only option if Brady goes down, and that is no small achievement as Belichick is a tough guy to please and a tough guy to get his complete confidence.

If someone was seriously saying that Mallett is a lock to get the Texans to trade a high pick for, or anything like that then fine, take issue with it, but being turds simply because people suggest that O'Brien MAY like him and want him is crap.
If BB's got enough faith in him to have him as the lone backup for the last 2 seasons and potentially this one that's good enough for me. So what if we spent a 3rd on him. We've wasted alot of higher picks or those of equal value who hurt the teams performance on the field in games that count. He hasn't hurt the team and cost us any games last I checked.

So we don't trade him and he never plays this season. I'd rather that than draft one of these QB's in this weak class and see him pressed into service in case of catastrophe. That would make me alot more nervous than having a guy with 3 years plus exp. under his belt and a repore and some trust with his teammates and coaches.

If BB's got enough faith in him to have him as the lone backup for the last 2 seasons and potentially this one that's good enough for me. So what if we spent a 3rd on him. We've wasted alot of higher picks or those of equal value who hurt the teams performance on the field in games that count. He hasn't hurt the team and cost us any games last I checked.

So we don't trade him and he never plays this season. I'd rather that than draft one of these QB's in this weak class and see him pressed into service in case of catastrophe. That would make me alot more nervous than having a guy with 3 years plus exp. under his belt and a repore and some trust with his teammates and coaches.

Agree completely. The hate for Mallett here has been borderline ridiculous and it is getting really old. Had he been forced into action and played poorly i could see people getting down on him but that is not the case and there really is nothing for anyone to base their hate on.

Agree completely. The hate for Mallett here has been borderline ridiculous and it is getting really old. Had he been forced into action and played poorly i could see people getting down on him but that is not the case and there really is nothing for anyone to base their hate on.

I think you're taking this way too seriously, Mrs. Mallett. I'm just joking around, and I suspect the majority of people realize that.

Stating that "he's going to re-invent the game as we know it as a TE" is pretty obvious sarcasm.

Constantly "disliking" my posts because I don't believe the Texans will trade a HIGH pick (never said they wouldn't make a trade--period) seems rather petty to me.

Last edited:

No one is "bashing" Ryan Mallett. As a matter of fact, I've pointed out in multiple posts that Belichick hasn't been afraid to spend 3rd round choices in both 2008 and 2011 at the backup position of QB. There shouldn't be anyone stating that it would be a "wasted" pick.

It's an extremely valuable position, especially in our more complex system, which is exactly why I believe that he may strongly consider taking our future backup for next year through 2018 in the middle rounds again next weekend. Belichick is a guy who covers all of his bases, and we've consistently been a team that normally sits in a position of luxury as it pertains to the draft. With 5 picks in the first 4 rounds again this year, I don't see anything different, and I personally want a new backup QB selected.

If you check back to the draft threads of 2011, I personally predicted and was a strong advocate of taking a guy like Ryan Mallett in the top couple of rounds, even though everyone was 100% sure that we'd be taking multiple DEs. I was a strong Mallett supporter, and still am. I'd be more than happy to see him extended, but the odds of that are extremely low.

I think you're taking this way too seriously, Mrs. Mallett. I'm just joking around, and I suspect the majority of people realize that.

Stating that "he's going to re-invent the game as we know it as a TE" is pretty obvious sarcasm.

Constantly "disliking" my posts because I don't believe the Texans will trade a HIGH pick (never said they wouldn't make a trade--period) seems rather petty to me.

Sup, that's the only time I have ever knocked your posts and I believe it was one dislike, whoich really doesn't consitute "constant."I just think you have taken the Mallett bashing too far. No one has been making the argument that you and others are taking shots at so it seems really gratuitous. I could understand it if someone was trying to claim that Mallett is a high priority target for the Texans but no one is so i'm really not sure where it's coming from. Overall i think you are one of the best posters here but i do take issue with the constant shots at Mallett.

Sup, that's the only time I have ever knocked your posts and I believe it was one dislike, whoich really doesn't consitute "constant."I just think you have taken the Mallett bashing too far. No one has been making the argument that you and others are taking shots at so it seems really gratuitous. I could understand it if someone was trying to claim that Mallett is a high priority target for the Texans but no one is so i'm really not sure where it's coming from. Overall i think you are one of the best posters here but i do take issue with the constant shots at Mallett.

To be honest, I believe all 3 of my dislikes have been from you and your disgust with my Mallett opinions. I know that you had 2 dislikes within a 60 second period last night, because it states so in the "alerts."

Not since the Welker issue have I seen you this hyped up.

Keep in mind it's nothing more than a matter of opinion, so we differ with our thoughts--nothing more :)

And thank you for the kind words, the feeling is definitely mutual.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back