PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dom Capers and tomorow's D

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelizePats

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
It will very interesting to see what kind of looks the secondary gives Brody Croyle tomorrow. Seeing as Croyle is fairly young and inexperienced do you think that Capers will throw in more blitz packages? I'd like to see a more aggressive attacking defence myself, at least for this game.

Re: Dom Capers and tomorows D

It will very interesting to see what kind of looks the secondary gives Brody Croyle tomorrow. Seeing as Croyle is fairly young and inexperienced do you think that Capers will throw in more blitz packages? I'd like to see a more aggressive attacking defence myself, at least for this game.

Might depend on the KC O-line. If they find any easy to exploit holes I wouldn't expect much blitzing, allowing the D line to put the pressure on.

If this looks like an easy match-up or make the some good ground points-wise early on, I expect them to hold a lot of tricks back for the Jets. I would think Mangini has as good a competitive advantage as anyone in the AFC, but DOM is wrinkle he'll be hard-pressed to account for.

I'm excited about football, but if this game is as much of a gimme as everyone believes, I might just spend a little more eyeball on the Jets Dolphins game to get a feel for week #2.

Scrap that. I'll DVR it.

Capers isnt calling defenses he is coaching the DBs.
Yes he will have input in the gameplan, but Dean Pees is the DC, and the philosophical decisions are made by BB.

I thought Dean Pees was the defensive coordinator and Capers was the secondary coach.

I have read all summer about a 'new and aggressive defense' that Capers is going to institute. I don't see it happening, he is there to coach a young secondary and add his insights into the overall defense. Pees will call the defense with BB signing off on the strategy. Despite the hype I expect much of the same, which has been pretty damn good. I think the Pats have been in the top 5 for points against in the majority of BB's tenure.

Edit: Damn it Andy you stole my thunder... my thoughts exactly.

Edit #2: I don't think they have to scheme much against KC, Herm watched the pre-season and saw the Pats were suspect against the run. I expect a very heavy power running attack with occasional shots down field. Until the Pats prove they can stop the run teams will try to cram it down there throats. Once the Pats D gets its seas legs and can anchor against the run then teams will say 'Oh **** we have to pass the ball with our crappy QBs? we are doomed!', it all starts with stopping the run.

Last edited:

Yes he will have input in the gameplan, but Dean Pees is the DC, and the philosophical decisions are made by BB.

Right, but he's also a connoisseur of exotic blitz packages. I don't think he's only there to coach the Safeties and CB's. He's there on an advisement role.

Dean Pees or no, Capers and Belichick are the defensive guru's in the coaching dept.

Whatever the case, I think our secondary is going to be a LOT better than anyone is willing to give them a chance at.

Right, but he's also a connoisseur of exotic blitz packages. I don't think he's only there to coach the Safeties and CB's. He's there on an advisement role.

Dean Pees or no, Capers and Belichick are the defensive guru's in the coaching dept.

Whatever the case, I think our secondary is going to be a LOT better than anyone is willing to give them a chance at.

He's here because he had too much experience including in a similar scheme with Saban to be unemployed when we had a position coaching vacancy in our secondary and plans to draft a couple of corners in the midst of grooming a young safety. I'm sure they are picking his brain, but remember he recommended Bryant... He's not the man behind the curtain, just a cog in the 2008 wheel. Bill doesn't hire guys to create an offense or ree-tool a defense for him - he hires guys to run or adapt to his. He's open minded and naturally curious, but at the end of the day overall approach or game plan is always his call. Coaches and coordinators merely suggest and facilitate.

We've been through this a lot on this board.
BB and Capers have DIFFERENT philosophies on defense.
No doubt BB will takes some ideas from Capers.
But to say Capers loves to blitz and BB doesnt so we will blitz a lot, thats why BB brought Capers in, is to say BB decided Capers knows more a bout defense that him, and his 35 years of coaching has finally hit him as he has been wrong all along, and Capers is smarter, so he will hand over the defense to Capers philosophy because its better.
Not gonna happen.

Capers is here to coach. Where his philosophy differs from BBs, the Patriots adhere to BBs. I think nothing is more certain than that.

He's here because he had too much experience including in a similar scheme with Saban to be unemployed when we had a position coaching vacancy in our secondary and plans to draft a couple of corners in the midst of grooming a young safety. I'm sure they are picking his brain, but remember he recommended Bryant... He's not the man behind the curtain, just a cog in the 2008 wheel. Bill doesn't hire guys to create an offense or ree-tool a defense for him - he hires guys to run or adapt to his. He's open minded and naturally curious, but at the end of the day overall approach or game plan is always his call. Coaches and coordinators merely suggest and facilitate.

I'll have to defer to your knowledge then. Bryant eh? I suppose if he was a sure tackler he might still be here.

you said it better than me

remember he recommended Bryant...
i don't remember, but don't see how that changes his rep as a defensive coach. I doubt the Pats brought Capers here to help Pioli with personnel. His expertise is more in coaching.

If he fails at picking players but lives up to half his hype as a defensive coach, I'll be more than satisfied.

Capers is here to coach.
I agree.

Last edited:

I understand that Capers isn't actually calling the defence and that Pees is, but is it that much of a leap of faith to think that Capers expertise will not be utilized and implemented?
As to what the preseason defence showed the KC coaching staff, I have a very strong feeling, based on the talent available to us, that our run defence will be alot stronger than was demonstrated during the 4 pre season games. This will not be so attractive an option for KC by the middle of the second quarter as it might have appeared, prior to kick off.

I agree...but I think a little more love has to sent Capers way.

His title is Special Assitant/defensive back coach...........don't think for one moment that he won't be helping game plans and game day calls, beyond the DB.

What we now have is a THREE headed monster and that is a really good thing.

BB/Pees & Capers - that has to be about 75 years or more of very high level knowledge right there.

Last edited:

Clearly BB is the 'in charge' guy. I remember well siting behind the Pats D bench at a game years ago when the D was not playing well. BB came over and really lit into Romeo who was the DC then. Went on a tirade that lasted a couple minutes, then camped out at the D bench (not unusual for BB). To Romeo's credit (and continued employment :)) he took it and then went about his job. The D played better and we won. I forget the opponent.

It doesn't change his rep, but I think he was also brought in because Pees didn't bring much to the table in regards to pro personnel experience coming from the college ranks. Back in 2000-2004 we had coordinators here who had experience with players in other systems, including sometimes without Bill. That helped us identify veteran FA's coming available as "Bill" guys who might fit here. After 8 years most of those guys are now retired... Capers knew guys recently from Houston and Miami as a HC and DC. He broadened the existing information base. They use newly acquired players to gather that kind of intel too, but players assessments aren't usually as reliable because they often see things differently than coaches. Remember, Pioli works for Bill and locates guys who suit him - not visa versa as in many organizations where the personnel guy is actually a GM. Just as Capers may be a sounding board for Bill as well as a position coach, but he's not calling the shots because Bill think's he's lost his edge... He also got that added title, much like Scar has his, out of deference because of their years in the league (or with this team or as a former HC).

We've been through this a lot on this board.
BB and Capers have DIFFERENT philosophies on defense.
No doubt BB will takes some ideas from Capers.
But to say Capers loves to blitz and BB doesnt so we will blitz a lot, thats why BB brought Capers in, is to say BB decided Capers knows more a bout defense that him, and his 35 years of coaching has finally hit him as he has been wrong all along, and Capers is smarter, so he will hand over the defense to Capers philosophy because its better.
Not gonna happen.

Capers is here to coach. Where his philosophy differs from BBs, the Patriots adhere to BBs. I think nothing is more certain than that.

I don't think anyone is saying that the Pats defense will be fundamentally different in scheme or philosophy. However, it does seem likely that putting a coach with 32 years of experience (a lot of that with defense and DBs in particular) in charge of a secondary with 50% turnover will result in something different than what we've seen before.

I don't think that the Pats become a blitz-happy team. I also don't think they play as much soft zone coverage as we are used to. Every off-season move on the Pats defense points to more aggressive play-calling. It remains to be seen if that aggression shows up on most series, just certain games, on 3rd downs, in the 4th quarter, etc.

You've pointed out in multiple threads that the Pats fatal flaw is getting off the field when a team goes exclusively to the pass. You just can't stop a team with a soft zone when they have 4 downs to get 10 yards. There is always a 5 yard check-down that is available before the pass rush can get there.

I'm looking for more deception in the Pats defense this year. Force turnovers, don't just wait for mistakes to happen. Belichick has coached defenses that have done exactly that, so it isn't a stretch. Capers is here to help Belichick make these defensive players into an effective, cohesive unit. It won't be like the '86 Saints, the '93 Steelers, the '96 Panthers or the '00 Jaguars. It will be the '08 Patriots. And it likely will be different that the '07 Patriots as well.

i hope we do run blitzes tomorrow until they give up the run. then cross my fingers on our corner play.

Well there's no such thing as a gimme. We should all understand that after last year's loss, Buffalo's week 1 beat down, the occasional loss in Miami and Mangini's victory in the Foxboro mud bowl. Admittedly on paper the Chiefs appear to be major underdogs, but there are no paper fields in the NFL.

The defense will probably be fairly vanilla because of the two rookie starters. (if Wheatly does start) I expect Capers to coach better execution into the DBs and doubt we'll see much of a departure from BB's basic defensive philosophy. The Chiefs should test the Pats with short to medium passes in the middle of the field and also run right at Mayo early and often.

I think that we should be much more concerned with run defense and run blitzes than worrying about how the patriot defense will deal with the powerful passing attack of the KC chiefs.

I think that we should be much more concerned with run defense and run blitzes than worrying about how the patriot defense will deal with the powerful passing attack of the KC chiefs.

BB's style is generally to play more mano-a-mano than run blitz. With smaller ILBs (Bruschi & Mayo) they may have to add some run blitzes into the mix, I suspect Harrison will be in the box most of the game. Kind of surprising they didn't keep Lynch, looking at the schedule the majority of the teams are run first, Lynch can't run but he can play inside the box to spell Harrison from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes