PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dobson finds his mojo… Bolden shows all-purpose value… C. Jones rising to the top

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Dobson finds his mojo… Bolden shows all-purpose value… C. Jones rising to the...

Refs gotta start respecting C. jones, the kid gets at least 284732847248 holds a game.

There was a blatent one on Wilfork yesterday when he absolutely trucked the center and the center pulled his jersey to try to take Wilfork down with him. I actually think there was a DPI called on the Pats (Dennard?) on that play when the penalties should have been offsetting.

I actually think Dobson is ahead of Thompkins even if Thompkins is starting. I think Dobson is actually running cleaner routes and open far more often. Maybe it is because he is taking less reps than Thompkins.

Dobson did juggle the ball once, but still brought it in. I think Brady missed on at least two or possibly three TDs with Dobson.
  • On the PI play, Dobson actually had to slow up to catch the ball. Dobson had a big jump on the defender and if Brady hit him in stride, it would have been for 6.
  • The pass that hit Dobson on the hands in the end zone would have been an easy 6 points if Brady's pass was on target. (Brady admitted that he blew the throw)
  • And the INT, Dobson was open (Brady said he was targeting Dobson and not Sudfeld), but that would have been a tough throw even if Brady wasn't so off. So I don't know if I would say that was an easy TD.

Dobson has the potential to be a very good WR in this league. There are a lot of signs that with a little more experience with him and Brady, he could be there sooner than later. He definitely has things that receivers who have failed in the past never got - the ability to get separation (it was painful to watch Chad Jackson run go routes).

I actually think Dobson is ahead of Thompkins even if Thompkins is starting. I think Dobson is actually running cleaner routes and open far more often. Maybe it is because he is taking less reps than Thompkins.

Dobson did juggle the ball once, but still brought it in. I think Brady missed on at least two or possibly three TDs with Dobson.
  • On the PI play, Dobson actually had to slow up to catch the ball. Dobson had a big jump on the defender and if Brady hit him in stride, it would have been for 6.
  • The pass that hit Dobson on the hands in the end zone would have been an easy 6 points if Brady's pass was on target.
  • And the INT, Dobson was open (Brady said he was targeting Dobson and not Sudfeld), but that would have been a tough throw even if Brady wasn't so off. So I don't know if I would say that was an easy TD.

Dobson has the potential to be a very good WR in this league. There are a lot of signs that with a little more experience with him and Brady, he could be there sooner than later. He definitely has things that receivers who have failed in the past never got - the ability to get separation (it was painful to watch Chad Jackson run go routes).

I agree an overlooked play that I thought was a key play and a sign of what Dobson can offer was the 28 yard pass interference call he got in the 2nd quarter.

What kind of WR is Dobson? I thought he was suppose to be an exclusive outside guy.:confused: But he looked real good going in motion and from the slot.

I think he fits best on the outside however has the ability to get free in traffic and make plays over the middle, he actually seems to be refined wide receiver in terms route running and getting himself open.

Can't put C Jones in the same sentence as JJ Watt. Let's see him have a couple of Pro Bowl seasons before we compare him to Watt.

People seem to forget that Watt, while a beast and easily the best defender in the NFL last year, is in just his third year. He hasn't "had a couple pro bowl seasons" yet either. So while I agree that jones is not in watt category yet, try to remember that watt wasn't in watt category this time last year either. I am excited to see just how good jones can be and if he can keep up this production for an entire year. He came out like the best pick in the draft last year too.

Let's remember the book on the 2012 draft was that the Pats' ready-for-the-NFL 1st rounder was Hightower and that Jones was the "Project".

Is he JJ Watt now? Hell, no. But CJ is definitely ahead of schedule and rising.

Last edited:
Still hate that Bolden gave up on that pass play.. :mad:

Ya mean his lousy blocking on that 1st Quarter sack? Yeah, I really didn't like that either.

No matter how good Bolden feels about yesterday's game, rest assured BB is going to rewind that play 7 or 8 times over in front of the entire team in the film room today. Bolden will come out of that room wondering if he did anything right yesterday.

For all the credit Chandler Jones is getting nobody is mentioning the guy on the other side of the line up from him that is outplaying him - Rob Ninkovich.

WHAT?

Everyone is falling all over themselves with joy over the 3 year $15 million extension that was reported yesterday.

Have you not been paying attention?

.....and they have different jobs on each play. They are not in competition.

Last edited:
I cannot wait till Dobson is doing sit-ups in the parking lot.

Personally I liken Dobson to a poor man’s A.J. Green:

Aaron Dobson
Height: 6’3
Weight: 210
40 Yrd Dash: 4.37
20 Yrd Dash: 2.60
10 Yrd Dash: 1.51
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 16
Vertical Jump: 35
Broad Jump: 10'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.33
3-Cone Drill: 7.19

A.J. Green
Height: 6’4
Weight: 211
40 Yrd Dash: 4.48
20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.55
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18
Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'06"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.21
3-Cone Drill: 6.91

Green offers more high end explosiveness and playmaking ability of course, but if Dobson certainly offers similar physical attributes. The kids future is bright, his not being able to compete in the combine together with him being hidden away at Marshall dropped his stock to the second round, the kid has first round talent without question.

That's a good comparison and makes it clear how-much upside Dobson has. The 40 times get all the attention, but the rest of the combine/pro-day numbers really tell a neat story about a player's ceiling. Those shuttle and 3-cone times are measureable differences in change-of-direction quickness*, which helps Green make nice clean cuts running his routes. Still, Dobson was getting open consistently and those numbers are sure a nice reminder of his upside.

* Just for comparison, Edelman clocked 3.92 and 6.62, respectively, which is flat-out ridiculous. There aren't many guys who go up against Revis and get 7 receptions. They weren't spectacular by any stretch, but that's still a good day's work.

despite the 2 td's I thought Dobson looks more in sync with brady...

I think what you're noticing is Dobson having more talent and getting open more often. When Thompkins catches the ball, Brady is often hitting him in stride, which is the real sign of them being in sync. When Dobson catches-up and then some, it's going to be exciting times around here.

That's a good comparison and makes it clear how-much upside Dobson has. The 40 times get all the attention, but the rest of the combine/pro-day numbers really tell a neat story about a player's ceiling. Those shuttle and 3-cone times are measureable differences in change-of-direction quickness*, which helps Green make nice clean cuts running his routes. Still, Dobson was getting open consistently and those numbers are sure a nice reminder of his upside.

* Just for comparison, Edelman clocked 3.92 and 6.62, respectively, which is flat-out ridiculous. There aren't many guys who go up against Revis and get 7 receptions. They weren't spectacular by any stretch, but that's still a good day's work.

To touch on the last part of your post, Revis and the Bucs were playing mostly zone throughout the afternoon. Edelman's catches against Revis came when he checked off to the safety/LB/CB or when Edelman got into the soft parts of their zone coverage.

Ya mean his lousy blocking on that 1st Quarter sack? Yeah, I really didn't like that either.

No matter how good Bolden feels about yesterday's game, rest assured BB is going to rewind that play 7 or 8 times over in front of the entire team in the film room today. Bolden will come out of that room wondering if he did anything right yesterday.

There was also a play where he went deep down the sideline and Brady threw it to him, but he stopped running so it sailed over his head. Regardless of how well he was in other areas of the game, Belichick's going to absolutely light him up in the film room for that.

There was also a play where he went deep down the sideline and Brady threw it to him, but he stopped running so it sailed over his head. Regardless of how well he was in other areas of the game, Belichick's going to absolutely light him up in the film room for that.

He also misread his blocks twice, once on the screen and once on the direct snap play. Plenty of ammo for Bill. :cool:

I agree..It's going to be fun around here later this season. If this team can stay relatively healthy, the rookies get experience, and Gronk,Amendola and Vereen are back....this offense is gonna explode ! :rocker::rocker:

In the meantime, there will be anxious moments like the first quarter of the Tampa game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents