Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you think that Samuel will play in Game One for the pats?

• Yes

Votes: 54 51.4%
  • No, but he will be on another squad for Game One.

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • No, but he will play for the pats by Game 2 or 3

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • No, he will not play for the pats in Games 1, 2, and 3

Votes: 25 23.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am optimistic on this because I don't think Asante will leave that kind of money on the table while simutaneously sabotaging his chances for a big contract by sitting out over half of the season. I also don't believe that BB would allow him to walk on the team during the 10th week and play, especially if we're already 8-2 or 7-3 at that point. The defense will have found a rhythm by week 10, and if not, then BB will have probably brought Asante back quicker if he has to show him some more $$.

Well let me say this, if samuel will sit out for 10 games, I would choose not to play him at all. I think at this point he has shown he is not a team player.

I am optimistic on this because I don't think Asante will leave that kind of money on the table while simutaneously sabotaging his chances for a big contract by sitting out over half of the season. I also don't believe that BB would allow him to walk on the team during the 10th week and play, especially if we're already 8-2 or 7-3 at that point. The defense will have found a rhythm by week 10, and if not, then BB will have probably brought Asante back quicker if he has to show him some more $$.

It's tough to forego $400K per week, week after week. While I too believe that Asante's publicly expressed lust for big money will prevent him from siting out until week 10, I am not 100% certain that his money lust exceeds his ego factor. Don't know him well enough to tell for sure.

What does it matter if we're 8-2 on week 10?
What DOES matter is how healthy at that time are our DBs. I find it inconceivable that the starters and their backups are all healthy that far into the season. If as is most likely they are not all healthy, then a Samuel is great even if only for depth and insurance. Then, there's that minor matter of facing the Colts in the playoffs. For that reason alone I believe a BB would want an Asante on his playoff squad.

I do not believe that BB will acceed to Asante's request for champ Bailey money.

Last edited:
I voted Yes... bu then again, I voted Yes on Branch last year... :bricks:

Samuel must have his own doubts about his performance last year -- whether it was indicative of his capability or it was a statistical anomaly. If he were confident enough, he'd accept the tag and negotiate for the Pats to agree not to apply it next year.

The Pats would never agree to that in negotiations.

You forgot the "will not be with the team" option.

I say just bench him if he wants to act like this.

I voted that he'll be back before the first game. I think that his decision will hinge somewhat on word out of camp. How Wilson, Gay, Meriweather or Scott looks at the spot.

If the secondary performs well the first two preseason exhibitions, I can see him hurrying in to make sure doesn't lose the guaranteed money nor his spot on the roster.

If the secondary suffers some injuries or the plan doesn't look to be panning out, I can see him waiting till week 10 to come back. He'd maximize his future earnings while minimizing his risk by doing so, and still have a chance to shine in the playoffs.

I do not see BB cutting his nose off to spite his face, by benching Samuel for the balance of the season. For one reason, it's against the rules these days. For another, BB has always said he plays the guys that can do the job, in practice & on the field. Once Samuel practices for 3 to 4 weeks, he'll be ready to contribute in December.

I don't think there's more than a slim chance that he'll be traded this year, nor that BB will waive the right to tag him again next year. It's easier to plug in one or two receivers into the starting lineup than it is to do so at LCB. It would not be worth it to the pats, unless some team was willing to offer more than one #1 pick.

If indeed Samuel wants a Nate Clements type contract, therefore I think he has played his last game in New England.

He'll make $450K+ a week.. he'd be an idiot not to be there every week.

This is looking more and more like Deion Branch Part II. I don't think he'll be with us, sorry to say.
I was thinking the exact same thing. No way in hell he goes to the Jets though.

Don't think anyone will fork over 2 #1's for him and don't think BB will take less. I do think he's dumb enough to sit til wk 10, and will be the best nickle back we've had since the last time he played it. Duane Starks is no longer an option, so it's all good.:D

This is a simple poll.
Not too simple, actually. I'd like to say he will sign his tender, and will be avaialbe to play, but BB will hold him out for at least game one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back