PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Discussions occured re: Deion Branch - Seattle Beat Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I heard on ESPN...

The deadline is in a week.

If you wait a week, you can get him for the veteran minimum and no draft pick.
The Patriots are in a bye week.

They could save $5 million and a draft pick and still have him suit up against Baltimore.
honestly, I think Seattle will keep him if they can't trade him.

If they feel skeptical, then they apparently didn't watch Price in the preseason.

More likely they are referring to Welker, Tate, and Edelman when they say "We remain skeptical that Branch would be an upgrade on any of the Pats' top three receivers."

The Pats are down a WR after trading Moss, so Branch would at least give them an insurance policy. He knows all the WR spots in their offense and can play anywhere and had great chemistry with the QB when he was here. I think it makes a lot of sense.

Further, for Seattle, they have extra WR after signing Brandon Stokley (who had a pretty good debut for them last week with 4 catches for 62 yards), and need to re-coup some draft picks after trading several away to acquire players. I imagine they probably ask for more than he is worth, but his value is basically a 6th or 7th pick. I would make that trade.

Really, the only downside is he is overpaid. The Pats would be responsible for the remaining $4M or so of his salary this year, but they did just dump Moss' salary. His salary next year is prohibitively high, but they can always cut him after the season.

I think this makes a lot of sense. I realize he isn't Moss, but he knows the system and they could use another WR.

I'm kind of surprised the idea of Branch coming back isn't getting any more attention and the idea isn't getting more love on this board.

It's the only realistic upgrade that can be made to the receiving core this year (sorry folks, Jackson is a pipe dream). I don't see BB taking a flyer on someone who hasn't been in their system and whose work ethic/motivation is unknown.

Branch is expensive but you only need to pay him for 3/4 of a season. Trading for him doesn't damage the long term prospects beyond the loss of a pick (I'm going to guess a 4th or 5th).

Let's go trade one of our second round picks for Seymour instead.

But they have more WR than us. Its works for both. A X-Branch Y Welker Z Tate/Edelman seems pretty well.

Branch ain't a #1 anymore. Heck even in his prime he was more of a good #2 being forced into the #1 slot cos the Pats didn't have a real #1. Tate has the speed to play the #1 position but lacks the experience. Branch is on pace for a 400 yard season, which doesn't spell #1 to me either. And Welker has got the slot position cornered. But as far as outside receivers, the Pats situation looks very DICEY even if they picked up Branch for a 6th (which is the most I'd pay for him. He's not as good as Holmes who garnered a 5th).

If they feel skeptical, then they apparently didn't watch Price in the preseason.

In fairness to Price, it's to be expected given the time he had missed. If he hasn't improved on his liabilities by now, then sure, that'd be a disappointment.

The deadline is in a week.

If you wait a week, you can get him for the veteran minimum and no draft pick.
The Patriots are in a bye week.

They could save $5 million and a draft pick and still have him suit up against Baltimore.

The deadline is 10/19. We play the Ravens on 10/17.

He could still play for us against the Chargers, so we have that going for us (which is nice).

In fairness to Price, it's to be expected given the time he had missed. If he hasn't improved on his liabilities by now, then sure, that'd be a disappointment.

Rookies having success in our offense are few and far between. In the Bill Belichick era, there have only been two - Branch and Edelman. So Price's odds of coming in, playing split-end (an extremely important position for us), and doing it at anything approaching a competent level are already low. On top of that, Price's problems didn't look to be due to missed time. They looked to be more of a product of playing in a strictly run-first offense that was COMPLETELY different system than the Ehrhardt-Perkins system (one of the more complicated systems in all of football).

So yeah, give me Branch, a guy who knows the system and will be where Brady wants him to be and when he needs him to be there, over the rookie that still has a rather steep learning curve.

Top 3 are Welker, Tate, Edeman.

Taylor Price isn't in the top 3.

Brady loves him, he looks healthy, and has been making an impact (when in) up in Seattle. I wouldn't mind seeing Branch here. He's certainly an upgrade over Taylor Price.

THIS is the crux of the matter.

Tom Brady has NEVER had a mind-meld with a WR as strong as he has had with Branch.

From the moment Branch arrived - - the very first workout - Brady was extolling him and said he's never had someone so one the same page with him.

Branch may be mediocre taking passes from Hasselbeck, etc., but one cannot discount timing and chemistry with a QB who shares the same brain.

Rookies having success in our offense are few and far between. In the Bill Belichick era, there have only been two - Branch and Edelman. So Price's odds of coming in, playing split-end (an extremely important position for us), and doing it at anything approaching a competent level are already low. On top of that, Price's problems didn't look to be due to missed time. They looked to be more of a product of playing in a strictly run-first offense that was COMPLETELY different system than the Ehrhardt-Perkins system (one of the more complicated systems in all of football).

So yeah, give me Branch, a guy who knows the system and will be where Brady wants him to be and when he needs him to be there, over the rookie that still has a rather steep learning curve.

I wasn't implying that we shouldn't take a look at Branch. Just that I would be surprised if Price doesn't look better on the field now than he did during the preseason.

Taylor Price is the top candidate to play split-end. The only guy on that list that could play split-end (since Tate is moving to flanker) and do it without any significant drop off would be Edelman. However, Edelman, Welker, and Hernandez all belong in the slot. They're more built for it and that's where they would do the vast majority of their damage. Price is the guy that is ideal to play the split-end, considering his skills. He would be the guy that can move into that position and keep those three guys in the slots, where they cause serious mismatches with safeties and LB's in the soft parts of the opposing defense's zone.

I wasn't implying that we shouldn't take a look at Branch. Just that I would be surprised if Price doesn't look better on the field now than he did during the preseason.

Probably, but I wouldn't expect it to be mindblowingly different. Price is the type of guy that would benefit from staying on the sidelines, having conversations with Brady, learning the playbook, and doing a lot of extra work with the quarterbacks in the offseason to improve his game, ala Brandon Tate.

Probably, but I wouldn't expect it to be mindblowingly different. Price is the type of guy that would benefit from staying on the sidelines, having conversations with Brady, learning the playbook, and doing a lot of extra work with the quarterbacks in the offseason to improve his game, ala Brandon Tate.

I agree. However, if it's a question of Price or Slater...

I guess my question would be: How much is it going to cost us to pry Branch away from the Hawks?

Last edited:
It appears that the players have the weekend off so this deal doesn't have to get done until the time arrives to get Branch here for practice. Therefore, there is no reason not to complete due diligence. Seattle might also be holding out for increased compensation.

Still have to believe that Mankins in not somewhere in the mix. Would love to get Branch and a pick for Mankins. That would require him signing his tender and getting a deal done.

Seattle does need oline help.

Taylor Price is the top candidate to play split-end. The only guy on that list that could play split-end (since Tate is moving to flanker) and do it without any significant drop off would be Edelman. However, Edelman, Welker, and Hernandez all belong in the slot. They're more built for it and that's where they would do the vast majority of their damage. Price is the guy that is ideal to play the split-end, considering his skills. He would be the guy that can move into that position and keep those three guys in the slots, where they cause serious mismatches with safeties and LB's in the soft parts of the opposing defense's zone.

Hold on, are you really trying to insinuate that Welker and Hernandez are similarly built?

Why do you think Edelman can't play the SE? Hes much bigger and much faster than Welker.

All of Welker, Edelman, and Hernandez are faster and more agile than Branch at this point.

Last edited:
I agree. However, if it's a question of Price or Slater...

I guess my question would be: How much is it going to cost us to pry Branch away from the Hawks?

Slater is just about useless in the starting offense aside from running a 9 route. He's also just about useless in the starting defense. He's a little better from useless on special teams. As for Branch, I don't see it being anything more than a 7th. But, then again, I didn't expect Randy Moss to only yield a 3rd while we had to give up a 7th either. Either way, if the price is right, I'm sure the FO will be okay with it.

Edelman? What has he done lately? He is injured and don't know if he'll ever be a #3 in this offense unless welk goes down (welker more #2)....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST