PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Discussions occured re: Deion Branch - Seattle Beat Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS is the crux of the matter.

Tom Brady has NEVER had a mind-meld with a WR as strong as he has had with Branch.

From the moment Branch arrived - - the very first workout - Brady was extolling him and said he's never had someone so one the same page with him.

Branch may be mediocre taking passes from Hasselbeck, etc., but one cannot discount timing and chemistry with a QB who shares the same brain.

This is a great point but to say he hasn't had the same connection with a receiver since would be an insult to Wes Welker.

Yes, let's get rid of the #1 deep threat in the game who we're paying 9 million to, and pick up the #132 deep threat in the game for 5-6 million! That sounds like all sorts of brilliant!
If Branch can somehow provide us with a pass rush, ok, sign him right now! But until then, we don't need him at all.

Why does everyone keep saying that Seattle has so much depth at WR?

I haven't watched the seahawks play in probably 3 years to be honest, but I can't name one other WR besides branch - except for Williams.. who else do they have that makes him so expendable?

And I looked at the depth chart and see names like:

Obomanu (never heard of - 3 receptions), Tate (same), Stokely (old)...I don't really see why they are willing to dump him... Now I know he has had knee issues in the past....but is he really so much worse?

I haven't watched the seahawks play in probably 3 years to be honest, but I can't name one other WR besides branch - except for Williams.. who else do they have that makes him so expendable?

Obomanu (never heard of - 3 receptions), Tate (same), Stokely (old)...I don't really see why they are willing to dump him... Now I know he has had knee issues in the past....but is he really so much worse?

Branch is definitely expendable, but not because they have depth. They don't. Theyre WR corps is bad, and Branch is part of the problem.

They'd prob be willing to part with him because of his hefty salary which im sure he wouldn't be willing to come down on unless he was restructuring for a new team.

It appears that the players have the weekend off so this deal doesn't have to get done until the time arrives to get Branch here for practice. Therefore, there is no reason not to complete due diligence. Seattle might also be holding out for increased compensation.

Still have to believe that Mankins in not somewhere in the mix. Would love to get Branch and a pick for Mankins. That would require him signing his tender and getting a deal done.

Seattle does need oline help.

Do you think SEA would pay Mankins 7 or 8 mill per year plus a signing bonus? How many teams think a guard is worth that much?

Do you think SEA would pay Mankins 7 or 8 mill per year plus a signing bonus? How many teams think a guard is worth that much?

Well, there's about 8 of them in the league making that sort of money, and there will probably be more in the next couple years, so quite a few.

Yes, let's get rid of the #1 deep threat in the game who we're paying 9 million to, and pick up the #132 deep threat in the game for 5-6 million! That sounds like all sorts of brilliant!
If Branch can somehow provide us with a pass rush, ok, sign him right now! But until then, we don't need him at all.

I take it you didn't watch Taylor Price in the preseason then?

Since it would appear that the Krafts are meddling in personnel decisions (i.e. Moss and Vrable) I suspect that this deal will get done. They love Branch since he is such an uber-Boy Scout and an obediant serf but what does Seattle want for him? I heard some ridiculous price on the radio like a first; I must have heard wrong. Way too much for all that scar tissue.

You mean the same Deion Branch that held out while under contract in 2006 and caused the Pats to lose to the Colts?
That Deion Branch?
No Thanks, he can stay where he is, in eneptitude and forever wishing that he never left while still under contract, and screwing over the Patriots and all their fans.

Since it would appear that the Krafts are meddling in personnel decisions (i.e. Moss and Vrable) I suspect that this deal will get done. They love Branch since he is such an uber-Boy Scout and an obediant serf but what does Seattle want for him? I heard some ridiculous price on the radio like a first; I must have heard wrong. Way too much for all that scar tissue.
You lost me more than once there Fred. The Krafts are now responsible for trading Mike Vrabel? And if they are indeed now making the football decisions for this team, then why would they consider Branch to be "an uber-Boy Scout and an obedient serf" considering his holdout and the manner in which he left new England? Finally, why in the world would you believe speculation that somebody is actually going to surrender a first round draft pick in exchange for Branch?

Last edited:
You lost me more than once their Fred. The Krafts are now responsible for trading Mike Vrabel? And if they are indeed now making the football decisions for this team, then why would they consider Branch to be "an uber-Boy Scout and an obedient serf" considering his holdout and the manner in which he left new England? Finally, why in the world would you believe speculation that somebody is actually going to surrender a first round draft pick in exchange for Branch?

Read my post. I called the first round pick ridiculous.

Having a holdout does not make you a criminal. He is the type of Boy Scout that the Krafts want; he will never be in trouble with the law or send pictures of his junk to some team bimbo.

It is not clear why Vrable was dumped but he had been critical of the Krafts and Patriots Place and I think he was a PA union rep. Seems highly suspicious that they let one of their best pass rushers (and touchdown catchers!) go so easily. It was as if he was thrown in as a afterthought. "Hey Scott... take this guy off our hands". Just a theory on my part but we don't know what really happened. The Krafts are probably used to firing anyone who talks back to them but it is not so easy with football players.

Seems like the Krafts are more interested in profits than putting out the best possible team. They don't have the cap excuse this year; they could have given Randy the dough without a problem.

The plastic turf the team has to play on was put on the field to maximize the profits from Gillette but it leads to injuries.

I do not want Branch ... not now, not tomorrow, not ever.

He left a bad taste here ... he is no longer needed.

Didn't FredFromDartmouth start the "The Ron Brace Disaster" thread?

Dude needs to read more and post much, much less.

Didn't FredFromDartmouth start the "The Ron Brace Disaster" thread?

Dude needs to read more and post much, much less.

:eat3: ......................... :yeahthat:

Having a holdout does not make you a criminal. He is the type of Boy Scout that the Krafts want; he will never be in trouble with the law or send pictures of his junk to some team bimbo.

It is not clear why Vrable was dumped but he had been critical of the Krafts and Patriots Place and I think he was a PA union rep. Seems highly suspicious that they let one of their best pass rushers (and touchdown catchers!) go so easily. It was as if he was thrown in as a afterthought. "Hey Scott... take this guy off our hands". Just a theory on my part but we don't know what really happened. The Krafts are probably used to firing anyone who talks back to them but it is not so easy with football players.

Seems like the Krafts are more interested in profits than putting out the best possible team. They don't have the cap excuse this year; they could have given Randy the dough without a problem.

The plastic turf the team has to play on was put on the field to maximize the profits from Gillette but it leads to injuries.

Sorry Fred, but you're still not making sense to me. What does what is going on with Favre have to do with trading Moss, or possibly acquiring Branch? Are you implying that they traded Moss because he is a criminal and not a boy scout? If so, why did they acquire him in the first place? How about Kaczur, Hernandez and Lockett, why did the Pats sign them, and why are they still here?

As for money & Moss, I'm pretty sure there will be a salary cap again very soon. There are rules in place that prevent teams from paying a player a boatload of money now and next to nothing in the future in order to avoid the cap. And before you suggest a one-year deal, forget it; Moss is looking for at least three years. One last thing to consider is the very strong possibility of no football in 2011; if that does happen, how smart would it be for the Pats to have already paid Moss a big signing bonus and three-year contract which at that point would not finish until the 2014, at which point Moss will be 38 when that season concludes?

If the Pats were only interested in profits, they would be replicating what Tampa Bay is doing. They certainly wouldn't be paying Belichick whatever it is he makes, and they wouldn't have extended Brady, Wilfork or Bodden. The 'old, slow defense' line would have been a perfect excuse to dump salaries while they were still sold out with plenty of people on the season ticket waiting list if profits were the only objective.

I remember the consensus on this board was "f*ck Deion Branch". And people starting calling him "Meion".

Now it's hilarious to see people on this board say "welcome back Deion". :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I find this post fascinating, but I'm not sure I can put into words why I find it so.

I take it you didn't watch Taylor Price in the preseason then?

I don't think Price enters the equation, certainly not right away.

You mean the same Deion Branch that held out while under contract in 2006 and caused the Pats to lose to the Colts?
That Deion Branch?
No Thanks, he can stay where he is, in eneptitude and forever wishing that he never left while still under contract, and screwing over the Patriots and all their fans.

This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference