PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Maroney get benched last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, again, it's not fair to compare Brady's stats to Manning's stats the past 6 years because Manning had better "weapons", but it's ok to compare Addai's stats to Maroney's even though Maroney plays on an offense(this year) that is healthy and that oppossing defenses are scared to death? Last time I checked, Marvin Harrison, Tony Ugoh, and Dallas Clark have all missed time on Indy's offense. Hence, the reason for their decline statistically this year. Also, it's funny how you are quick to compare the one stat you can hang your hat on(YPC) when comparing Maroney to Addai. However, you conveniently leave out the stats Addai is clearly puuting up better than Maroney(TD's, receptions, total yards). You Glass apologists never cease to amaze me. I remember the boneheads who used to say Drew Bozo was better than Troy Aikman because he had better stats. :rolleyes:

And you continue to change your own argument. My response was to your nonsense comparing Maroney to Morris. You can't come back with a valid counterpoint, so you've now switched to blaming the players around Addai, and seem completely oblivious to the 2 points in that argument that pretty much destroy your response:

1.) Maroney's numbers were better than Addai's even before the Colts' injuries hit.

2.) If Maroney is a product of his offense, how is it unfair to hold Addai to that same standard? If you're going to claim that Maroney's YPC is merely a function of the Patriots offense, how is that same argument somehow avoiding your when you pimp Addai?

Honest and consistent evaluation continues to be something you prefer to avoid.

I don't have the game tape. However, unlike you, I'm not going to agree with Reiss just because he is Mike Reiss. Last time I checked, Maroney has had almost 100 carries this year and has a long run of 19, 1 TD, and has chipped in a whopping 2 receptions. Forget Buffalo, because he has been playing AVERAGE all season long.

Look, what happened happened. Are you going to deny how those plays played out?
"Clearly, Maroney tripped on himself for a -2 yard play. There was no unblocked Middle Linebacker to be seen.":rolleyes: :bricks:

I don't have the game tape. However, unlike you, I'm not going to agree with Reiss just because he is Mike Reiss. Last time I checked, Maroney has had almost 100 carries this year and has a long run of 19, 1 TD, and has chipped in a whopping 2 receptions. Forget Buffalo, because he has been playing AVERAGE all season long.

And again, you choose to ignore the facts around you:

Maroney's longest run this season: 19 yards
Addai's longest run this season: 23 yards

Addai has had many more carries, yet hasn't broken anything longer than 23 yards.

How does me comparing Maroney to Morris have anything to do with Addai? Last time I checked, I never once said Morris was better than Addain. Because he is NOT. Just like Maroney is NOT. Anyone who cannot see that is just not paying attention. YPC is OVERRATED. You think Brady would have 61 TDs without Moss? No. You think Brady would have a 131 QB rating if he was playing on Detroit? No. Guess what? You can't just throw one stat out there and say that is the reason why so and so is better than so and so. Use your eyes. I always thought and still think Brady is better than Manning. I didn't need this year's off the charts stats to convince me of that. Did you? When I watch Addai run I see a running back that can do it all. Hell, Rodney Harrison even said this guy is one of the top 3 backs in the league. The kid can run it inside, outside, catch the ball, get the tough yards, etc.... Sorry, that's what I see and it's pretty obvious. When I watch LT run I see a GREAT running back. I don't think he sucks because he has a 4.0 YPC this year. I've watched Maroney play 22 games. I have seen NOTHING in any of the games since last year in Cincinnati that he has made me say "Wow, this kid has some special skills". I've watched Addai play plenty of times and I think the kid is a top 5 back in this league. When I watch Adrian Peterson, my jaw drops. When I watch Marion Barber run, I say this kid is a TOUGH SOB. When I watch LoMo run, I yawn.:D

Last edited:
And again, you choose to ignore the facts around you:

Maroney's longest run this season: 19 yards
Addai's longest run this season: 23 yards

Addai has had many more carries, yet hasn't broken anything longer than 23 yards.

What's your point? LT has a 4.0 YPC so is LoMo better? Who's better, Addai or LoMo? It's not even close.

How does me comparing Maroney to Morris have anything to do with Addai? Last time I checked, I never once said Morris was better than Addain. Because he is NOT. Just like Maroney is NOT. Anyone who cannot see that is just not paying attention. YPC is OVERRATED. You think Brady would have 61 TDs without Moss? No. You think Brady would have a 131 QB rating if he was playing on Detroit? No. Guess what? You can't just throw one stat out there and say that is the reason why so and so is better than so and so. Use your eyes. I always thought and still think Brady is better than Manning. I didn't need this year's off the charts stats to convince me of that. Did you? When I watch Addai run I see a running back that can do it all. Hell, Rodney Harrison even said this guy is one of the top 3 backs in the league. The kid can run it inside, outside, catch the ball, get the tough yards, etc.... Sorry, that's what I see and it's pretty obvious. When I watch LT run I see a GREAT running back. I don't think he sucks because he has a 4.0 YPC this year. I've watched Maroney play 22 games. I have seen NOTHING in any of the games since last year in Cincinnati that he has made me say "Wow, this kid has some special skills". I've watched Addai play plenty of times and I think the kid is a top 5 back in this league. When I watch Adrian Peterson, my jaw drops. When I watch Marion Barber run, I say this kid is a TOUGH SOB. When I watch LoMo run, I yawn.:D

Oh, ok.
So you don't have any actual facts, nor can you refute what Reiss laid out in his article.
All you have are sweeping generalities and your opinions.
Why didn't you say that from the start?

Oh, ok.
So you don't have any actual facts, nor can you refute what Reiss laid out in his article.
All you have are sweeping generalities and your opinions.
Why didn't you say that from the start?

Facts about what? I am not saying Maroney sucks because he played poorly in Buffalo. 6 carries for 19 yards is 6 carries for 19 yards no matter how you slice it. Just like 6 INTS for Manning was 6 INTS for Manning no matter how the Manning apologists wanted to twist it. My point is Maroney has been a DISAPPOINTMENT his entire carreer thus far. Not just against Buffalo. He is simply NOT living up to his 1st Rd draft status. Sorry, but I calls em' likes I see em'.

Facts about what? I am not saying Maroney sucks because he played poorly in Buffalo. 6 carries for 19 yards is 6 carries for 19 yards no matter how you slice it. Just like 6 INTS for Manning was 6 INTS for Manning no matter how the Manning apologists wanted to twist it. My point is Maroney has been a DISAPPOINTMENT his entire carreer thus far. Not just against Buffalo. He is simply NOT living up to his 1st Rd draft status. Sorry, but I calls em' likes I see em'.
FACT: Just because you present your opinion as fact, doesn't make it a fact. It just makes it a strongly worded opinion.

Reiss' Atricle as requested...Josh McD replies
"Can you comment on Laurence Maroney a little bit? He has high expectations being a first-round pick and some people might look at Joseph Addai in Indianapolis – and his production – and think Maroney might be a little bit of a disappointment. Do you see it that way?
“I don’t see it that way. We have the same expectations for Laurence. I would say Laurence’s role is determined on a weekly basis, much the same way the rest of our skill players are. If it’s a game where he should carry it 25 times or more, or less, than that’s what it’s going to be. If it’s a passing game, or a play-action game, then he might not touch the ball as much as in a running game. We kind of let that play out. …”

Have you seen enough from him that if you do get into a 25-carry game for him, that you feel confident he would be able to answer that?
“Yeah, I think Laurence has played well. Just like everybody, there are things all of our players could do better. But I think Laurence is playing well. I think maybe the amount of time he’s played in games may make it seem like it’s not the case. But it is. He’s being productive when he’s in there. He had the foot come up last week, and he should be fine now. That was a reason why maybe he didn’t get as many snaps in the Buffalo game. When he’s in there, we’re happy with him. He’s doing his job. He’s also doing a good job in pass protection, which is something as a rookie back last year was a significant point of emphasis coming into this season. He’s really stepped it up in that aspect too.”

Last edited:
Reiss' Atricle as requested...Josh McD replies
"Can you comment on Laurence Maroney a little bit? He has high expectations being a first-round pick and some people might look at Joseph Addai in Indianapolis – and his production – and think Maroney might be a little bit of a disappointment. Do you see it that way?
“I don’t see it that way. We have the same expectations for Laurence. I would say Laurence’s role is determined on a weekly basis, much the same way the rest of our skill players are. If it’s a game where he should carry it 25 times or more, or less, than that’s what it’s going to be. If it’s a passing game, or a play-action game, then he might not touch the ball as much as in a running game. We kind of let that play out. …”

Have you seen enough from him that if you do get into a 25-carry game for him, that you feel confident he would be able to answer that?
“Yeah, I think Laurence has played well. Just like everybody, there are things all of our players could do better. But I think Laurence is playing well. I think maybe the amount of time he’s played in games may make it seem like it’s not the case. But it is. He’s being productive when he’s in there. He had the foot come up last week, and he should be fine now. That was a reason why maybe he didn’t get as many snaps in the Buffalo game. When he’s in there, we’re happy with him. He’s doing his job. He’s also doing a good job in pass protection, which is something as a rookie back last year was a significant point of emphasis coming into this season. He’s really stepped it up in that aspect too.”

You mean Josh and BB don't think he's a bust?!!:eek:
Seriously, why bother? Danny and National are just gonna say that this is obviously talking up our own players. They are waiting for them to cut Maroney and draft McFadden. :rolleyes:

Obviously Josh is not gonna diss the guy. The improved pass protection shows that he is working to improve his game. I believe that Maroney might suffer from maturity and ego issues making his total adaptation to the new blocking style problematical. I think that this will be addressed this season.

Last edited:
How does me comparing Maroney to Morris have anything to do with Addai? Last time I checked, I never once said Morris was better than Addain. Because he is NOT. Just like Maroney is NOT. Anyone who cannot see that is just not paying attention.

1.) You brought in the comparison to Morris as if it meant something. It didn't, and I used Addai (the player Danny88 put forth as the standard from last year's draft) to make that point. It's not my fault if you're not capable of using rational thought to grasp concepts.

2.) Actually, Addai has been less than mediocre in two of his past 3 games. Without his line running smoothly, he's been pretty much a stiff. And anyone who cannot see that is just not paying attention. Even by your arguments, a mediocre Maroney would be a step up from the Addai of late.

YPC is OVERRATED. You think Brady would have 61 TDs without Moss? No. You think Brady would have a 131 QB rating if he was playing on Detroit? No. Guess what? You can't just throw one stat out there and say that is the reason why so and so is better than so and so. Use your eyes.

When people, including people who know football evaluate the greatness of running backs, they point to yards and yards per carry. It's one of the reasons people still point to Jim Brown as the greatest running back of all time.

I always thought and still think Brady is better than Manning. I didn't need this year's off the charts stats to convince me of that. Did you? When I watch Addai run I see a running back that can do it all. Hell, Rodney Harrison even said this guy is one of the top 3 backs in the league. The kid can run it inside, outside, catch the ball, get the tough yards, etc.... Sorry, that's what I see and it's pretty obvious. When I watch LT run I see a GREAT running back. I don't think he sucks because he has a 4.0 YPC this year. I've watched Maroney play 22 games. I have seen NOTHING in any of the games since last year in Cincinnati that he has made me say "Wow, this kid has some special skills". I've watched Addai play plenty of times and I think the kid is a top 5 back in this league. When I watch Adrian Peterson, my jaw drops. When I watch Marion Barber run, I say this kid is TOUGH SOB. When I watch LoMo run, I yawn.:D

This is opinion. It runs counter to the numbers. The opinion on Brady, which I happen to agree with, has not run counter to the numbers. That's the entire point. If this was only about you speaking your opinion once and then being happy about getting it out there, you wouldn't be acting like an ass about this topic on thread after thread and using nonsense as your argument. There's nothing wrong with you having an opinion of Maroney that is something other than glowing. There's something wrong with you claiming that your arguments on the topic are based on anything of substance, because they aren't.

Is someone seriously saying that Felger and Reiss are equally objective? SERIOUSLY? Good Lord, Nat'l. Do you read either of those guys consistently???

What's your point? LT has a 4.0 YPC so is LoMo better? Who's better, Addai or LoMo? It's not even close.

What, are you 6 years old? You are the dolt who tried to use the "only 19 yards" argument against Maroney. I simply showed, once again, that you're a hypocrite who's talking out of his ass by pointing out Addai's longest only being 23 yards. It's not as if I'm the only one showing you to be a fool. Pretty much everyone here is making you look like a complete idiot, yourself most especially.

Ok, I get it. YPC is the be all and end all of judging RB's. Let's forget about TDs, 100 yard games, Total Yards, Receptions, Blocking, etc... It's all about the YPC baby! Woohoo LoMo is better than LT because he has a better YPC! Wow. The amount of knowledge one must learn reading these posts from the Maroney toadies must be astounding. :rolleyes: Hey, guys, let's tell the Colts to trade that manning bum for Tony Romo, because Tony has more TDs, Yards, and a better QB rating this year. Because, afterall, it's all about finding the one or two stats that favor your argument to seal the deal in Pats homer nation. Yup. :rolleyes:

1.) You brought in the comparison to Morris as if it meant something. It didn't, and I used Addai (the player Danny88 put forth as the standard from last year's draft) to make that point. It's not my fault if you're not capable of using rational thought to grasp concepts.

2.) Actually, Addai has been less than mediocre in two of his past 3 games. Without his line running smoothly, he's been pretty much a stiff. And anyone who cannot see that is just not paying attention. Even by your arguments, a mediocre Maroney would be a step up from the Addai of late.

When people, including people who know football evaluate the greatness of running backs, they point to yards and yards per carry. It's one of the reasons people still point to Jim Brown as the greatest running back of all time.

This is opinion. It runs counter to the numbers. The opinion on Brady, which I happen to agree with, has not run counter to the numbers. That's the entire point. If this was only about you speaking your opinion once and then being happy about getting it out there, you wouldn't be acting like an ass about this topic on thread after thread and using nonsense as your argument. There's nothing wrong with you having an opinion of Maroney that is something other than glowing. There's something wrong with you claiming that your arguments on the topic are based on anything of substance, because they aren't.

Comparing Addai to Maroney, TRUST ME, is only done in Patriots homerville. Because, trust me, EVERY FAN of the 31 other teams in this league would laugh at any comparison between the two. Why the hell is this even worth discussing? It's like comparing Brady to Derek Anderson. It's not even close.

Ok, I get it. YPC is the be all and end all of judging RB's. Let's forget about TDs, 100 yard games, Total Yards, Receptions, Blocking, etc... It's all about the YPC baby! Woohoo LoMo is better than LT because he has a better YPC! Wow. The amount of knowledge one must learn reading these posts from the Maroney toadies must be astounding. :rolleyes: Hey, guys, let's tell the Colts to trade that manning bum for Tony Romo, because Tony has more TDs, Yards, and a better QB rating this year. Because, afterall, it's all about finding the one or two stats that favor your argument to seal the deal in Pats homer nation. Yup. :rolleyes:

Don't let facts get in the way of your opinions, troll.

BTW, if you want to watch a GREAT running back, than turn your TV on right now and put it on CBS. Darren McFadden will show you what a GREAT running back looks like. The game is about to begin. Watch and learn.

BTW, if you want to watch a GREAT running back, than turn your TV on right now and put it on CBS. Darren McFadden will show you what a GREAT running back looks like. The game is about to begin. Watch and learn.

go back 2 seasons and watch Laurence Maroney in college. Yeah. thats a good RB

turn on TV and watch Addai 2 years ago..nothing special.

this is college football. DeAngelo Williams was like a leading rusher and hes done nothing in league

College is nothing compared to what they see in the pros.

When presented with facts and quotes from the coaching staff that Maroney has been good for the team, you continue to post like the moron you are.
Even Danny shut the hell up when he saw this.
Ps. Even McFadden couldn't run for a thousand yards in a game if he only got the rock 6 times.
We won't draft McFadden. DEAL with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore