PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deion Branch and the WR situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomk1

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Can somebody catch me up what happened with him? Was he injured or what? Why was Underwood playing ahead of him?

And has Underwood gone past Ocho on the depth chart?

I heard he was dinged up (not necessarily injured but at that point not good to go). It would appear at least prior to the INT Underwood had passed Ocho on the depth chart heading into week 14. Given the situation he was placed in I don't know what other conclusion one could draw. I believe BOB was asked if he was in there because of injury and he replied in the negative, but the question was I believe framed based on why him and not Ocho as opposed to why him and not Branch. At this juncture they're probably a coin flip depending on game planning and practice but the kid obviously has more potential remaining upside...

Groin injury . He is injury prone but underwood is in there instead of Ocho....what a mess.Next year we will draft a 3rd down developmental WR ....:D

He has had the groin injury for a couple of weeks, I believe, but I think last week may have been the first time it kept him on the sidelines for crucial parts of the game. It was important too as Underwood came in for Branch and a pass to Underwood was intercepted in the end zone. Obviously there will be less confidence for Brady with teh backup WRs as there is lack of depth at the position. Will be something to watch Sunday.

Tiquan Underwood looked terrible on that route in the EZ:rolleyes:..if that was Branch it would have been a TD. I am ready for Julian Edelman in our regular Offense...he has the agility to run the precise routes our Offense requires. As for Tiquan Underwood i am uminpressed by him.

Tiquan Underwood looked terrible on that route in the EZ:rolleyes:..if that was Branch it would have been a TD. I am ready for Julian Edelman in our regular Offense...he has the agility to run the precise routes our Offense requires. As for Tiquan Underwood i am uminpressed by him.

The only issue with getting Edelman involved in the regular offense is that he is playing a key role on defense as a slot corner. Now I agree, they could use some of his offensive skills especially if Branch is out. However, his focus should be on defense until at least Chung comes back since the DBs are a much bigger question than offensive pass catchers at the moment. Maybe we'll start to see the coaches give him a few offensive plays this week to supplement his time on defense (hopefully not lined up at RB like they did a few times earlier in the year).

Also, having Branch running that route wouldn't have made much of a difference. Not only was the pass poorly thrown, but also Branch's explosiveness and cutting ability were limited due to the groin injury (plus he doesn't really have the size to fight the DB for that ball).

Last edited:
The only issue with getting Edelman involved in the regular offense is that he is playing a key role on defense as a slot corner. Now I agree, they could use some of his offensive skills especially if Branch is out. However, his focus should be on defense until at least Chung comes back since the DBs are a much bigger question than offensive pass catchers at the moment. Maybe we'll start to see the coaches give him a few offensive plays this week to supplement his time on defense (hopefully not lined up at RB like they did a few times earlier in the year).

Also, having Branch running that route wouldn't have made much of a difference. Not only was the pass poorly thrown, but also Branch's explosiveness and cutting ability were limited due to the groin injury (plus he doesn't really have the size to fight the DB for that ball).

Edelman has awesome change of direction skills he can cut on a dime. Guys like that excells in our Offense...i want him in our Offense now.

I wouldn't give up on Underwood just yet. For some players it's hard to get into the flow of the game if you're not getting any chances to catch the ball. On that play in the endzone, he elevated a split second too soon, so he was going down as the ball arrived and didn't have any leverage to fight for the ball or even try to break up the interception.

Branch got hurt and didn't return to the game (see Bedard's "Extra Points" blog on the Globe's website).

For me, the problem with our WR corps is that we don't have that speedy, downfield threat. That's what Ochocinco was supposed to bring. The type of receiver that could go over the top of the defense. Welker, and to a lesser extent Branch, are incredible at what they do. Underwood has loads of potential. I agree that on the INT late in the Skins game, he ran his route terribly.

I'd love it if we pursued DeSean Jackson this offseason. I realize he has been quite a prima donna this year with the Eagles, but I think he represents the type of player who will perform and be respectful when he is (a) paid and (b) on a winning team.

And what great football acumen do you have to make this statement. Just to show how little you know, that ball goes over BOTH Edelman and Branch's head. At worst it was a bad throw by Brady, at best it was a great play by the Washington DB. This comment was so bad it belongs on the game day thread ;)

Edelman has awesome change of direction skills he can cut on a dime. Guys like that excells in our Offense...i want him in our Offense now.
After this week, I'm all for it. However, first he needs to be the Anti-Tebow spy support in Denver and show him first-hand that college QB's can tackle, too. :D

Jackson is a head case and has been a cancer for them this year. Since he didn't get his big payday in offseason.....or now....he isn't going to play. Dropping balls basically intentionally in the endzone...taking lots of plays off...I don't see him as Patriot material or someone BB would want playing here. I guess we will see in offseason. The dude has talent when he wants to play....
Branch got hurt and didn't return to the game (see Bedard's "Extra Points" blog on the Globe's website).

For me, the problem with our WR corps is that we don't have that speedy, downfield threat. That's what Ochocinco was supposed to bring. The type of receiver that could go over the top of the defense. Welker, and to a lesser extent Branch, are incredible at what they do. Underwood has loads of potential. I agree that on the INT late in the Skins game, he ran his route terribly.

I'd love it if we pursued DeSean Jackson this offseason. I realize he has been quite a prima donna this year with the Eagles, but I think he represents the type of player who will perform and be respectful when he is (a) paid and (b) on a winning team.

Edelman may be the team's best slot DB right now. Why would you want to take him from that role?

Gee, Underwood pretty much just got here, let's give him a break. On the interception, Brady made a bad throw and he's admitted it. Perhaps Underwood didn't break it up but he's supposed to be catching the ball as a primary responsibility, not playing defense. Frankly, I don't have that much of a problem with the Patriots receivers.

I look in my crystal ball and see...

2 wrs drafted in the second round.

And what great football acumen do you have to make this statement. Just to show how little you know, that ball goes over BOTH Edelman and Branch's head. At worst it was a bad throw by Brady, at best it was a great play by the Washington DB. This comment was so bad it belongs on the game day thread ;)

If that was Branch it doesn't mean it would be a TD but that doesn't also mean Brady would have thrown it that high to a shorter player.

We don't know what would have happened.

after this week, i'm all for it. However, first he needs to be the anti-tebow spy support in denver and show him first-hand that college qb's can tackle, too. :d

f-l-e-t-c-h-e-r

It was definately a "weak" effort to attack and go after a football from Underwood. I am not justifying Brady's pass, it wasn't his best that's for sure, but if you watch Underwood on that play, he almost looked like a D3 college WR getting physically overmatched for a football. Like TB told, "fight for it, go after it"

It was definately a "weak" effort to attack and go after a football from Underwood. I am not justifying Brady's pass, it wasn't his best that's for sure, but if you watch Underwood on that play, he almost looked like a D3 college WR getting physically overmatched for a football. Like TB told, "fight for it, go after it"

The main issues with Underwood on the play was that he mistimed his jump and didn't take a sharp enough cut allowing the defender to get in between him and Brady. He was never "overmatched" physically on the play by the DB. If you watch the replay slowed down, Underwood is on his way down when the ball is approaching, which prevented him from aggressively attacking the ball at his highest point. After adding in the bad route, the defender was then put into a great position to make a play on the ball. Basically, Underwood's bad route and mistimed jump made Brady's awful pass even worst.

Apparently many folks see something in Edelman that Belichick does not. Edelman is a fine patriot. He is our punt receiver, backup slot receiver, backup nickel corner, and backup kick returner.

Edelman is NOT higher on the wide receiver depth chart than Ochocinco or Underwood. He is NOT the backup to Branch. Edelman is the backup for Welker. If Welker is out, Edelman would be expected to get lots more playing time at wider receiver.

Underwood has had little experience and has looked good so far. He should certainly be given a shot at a roster spot in camp. For now, Ochocinco and Underwood are the #3 and #4 wide receivers, and the 5th and 6th receiver targets. And they are that high because we underuse our running backs in the passing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes