PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

December 9th Finally!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow TWguru. She really can't help herself. Just has to keep bumping her gums.

Warden,

Sunday will be a day of tremendous glory. PatsPride will be no where to be found Monday. In any event, I'm done responding to him.

Last edited:
i was wrong to bring up wardens service . there was no excuse for it .i apologize to him .

Warden,

Sunday will be a day of tremendous glory. PatsPride will be no where to be found Monday. In any event, I'm done responding to him.

"the steelers lost to the jets lmao"

*sigh* Yes. Yes it will.

Opposing fans, don't challenge him if you want to stay here, he expects you to felate him because this is HIS HOUSE!

Well, he has until 4:15 Sunday afternoon to pack his trash and get out. :D

Man I can't wait for someone to beat them and I hope you guys do it this week. Too bad the refs couldn't fathom the Ravens winning and gave it to the Pats.

I still haven't watched the second half. I was at work and listened to it on the radio. I keep hearing that Gaffney bobbled the catch. Is that true?

*here it comes*

I still haven't watched the second half. I was at work and listened to it on the radio. I keep hearing that Gaffney bobbled the catch. Is that true?

*here it comes*

No, he did not bobble it. He switched hands but he always had complete control.

*here it comes*

The refs said he didn't :D

Seriously, pp - This grammar-school level smack is so beyond weak, I'm embarrassed to think you actually support the same team I do.

Steelers lost to the Jets. We know. Also, disrespecting the military probably isn't the right way to go. It gets you banned on most boards. I submit you're lucky to be still posting "the jets beat the steelers loolSD:D:D::"

Going WAY back to Jimmy's post on like page 3:
I fully expect the Steelers to TRY to pass; but 35 sacks allowed thus far by the Steelers offensive line tells me, it will probably be in their best interest to stick with running the ball.

You can shout #1 against the pass all you'd like, but the fact remains, that secondary isn't good. And that's with or without Polamalu.

Steelers are going to have to score a lot of points. And for their sake, Santonio Holmes better be playing and relatively healthy.

The refs said he didn't :D

Seriously, pp - This grammar-school level smack is so beyond weak, I'm embarrassed to think you actually support the same team I do.

Steelers lost to the Jets. We know. Also, disrespecting the military probably isn't the right way to go. It gets you banned on most boards. I submit you're lucky to be still posting "the jets beat the steelers loolSD:D:D::"

Going WAY back to Jimmy's post on like page 3:
I fully expect the Steelers to TRY to pass; but 35 sacks allowed thus far by the Steelers offensive line tells me, it will probably be in their best interest to stick with running the ball.

You can shout #1 against the pass all you'd like, but the fact remains, that secondary isn't good. And that's with or without Polamalu.

Steelers are going to have to score a lot of points. And for their sake, Santonio Holmes better be playing and relatively healthy.

Holmes and Troy will play Sunday. The secondary IS very good. On what basis would you claim otherwise? It's MUCH better than yours for sure.

No, he did not bobble it. He switched hands but he always had complete control.

It matters little because the game should have been over by then, but he did bobble the ball. He maintained contact with the ball and his fingers, but control was a different issue. I don't want to debate this issue at length but we will agree to disagree.

It matters little because the game should have been over by then, but he did bobble the ball. He maintained contact with the ball and his fingers, but control was a different issue. I don't want to debate this issue at length but we will agree to disagree.
Given the down, distance, and impending penalty situation, it's likely the Pats would have found the end zone during the drive had the pass been ruled incomplete. To argue that it was a game-changing play is a stretch. However, it was certainly a questionable play, and I was expecting it to be called incomplete after the review. There was no indisputable evidence to the contrary to make that call, and the call on the field stood.

Good, some actual football discussion!

Given the down, distance, and impending penalty situation, it's likely the Pats would have found the end zone during the drive had the pass been ruled incomplete. To argue that it was a game-changing play is a stretch. However, it was certainly a questionable play, and I was expecting it to be called incomplete after the review. There was no indisputable evidence to the contrary to make that call, and the call on the field stood.

Good, some actual football discussion!

I agree they would have scored even had it been overturned. This, thanks to the Bart Scott meltdown would have given the Pats 1st and 3 I believe.

If the call on the field had been incomplete I do not think they would have over ruled it. It was one of those plays that was so close that I cannot see how they could have over ruled it either way.

If the call on the field had been incomplete I do not think they would have over ruled it. It was one of those plays that was so close that I cannot see how they could have over ruled it either way.
Agreed. I've watched that replay a dozen times, and it comes down to the ref's call in that one.

Brant Rock?

Here is how I see some of the matchups working Sunday:

1) Moss vs. Ike Taylor: Ike has the speed to run with Moss. Ike is also a physical corner who will hit Randy all over the field. However, Ike sucks polaying the ball in the air and this is Randy's strength. If Ike gets safety help on the deep balls, Ike wins this battle. If he is left on an island, he will lose. I anticipate LeBeau will shift the zones to Randy's side to ensure he always has deep help. Our Safeties have the speed to cover ground with the ball in the air and both will hit Randy in the ribs when he goes up. I will be surprised if Moss has a big day.

2) Pittsburgh Outside pass rush vs. NE Tacles: Matt Light struggles with the outside rush when defenders get under his pads. This will be a huge advantage for Pittsburgh unless Light gets help or a chip on James Harrison. Harrison's strength is his leverage and low pads. He is only 6'0" and he uses this to his advantage. He is incredibly strong. If left on an island, I see Harrison beating Light a couple times. On the other side, Haggans is average. He may get some pressure, but he will be handled most of the day.

3) NE running game vs. Pittsburgh D line: NE stands no chance of lining up and running on us, but I'm sure they will not try. If Casey Hampton is in the game, the middle will remain clogged, and NE will not be able to run. However, I anticipate LeBeau focusing on the pass. I think he will be willing to give up the occational 10 yard run in order to slow the passing game. In this respect, look for Pittsburgh to be vulnerable against the run when we are lined up with no NT.

4) Pittsburgh running game vs. NE run defense: Pittsburgh's running game is no where near as good as people think. Our line is pretty good at getting to the second level, but none of our interior 3 is strong enough to generate movement up front. NE's D Line is better than many we have faced, and I do not anticipate Parker getting more than about 80 yards on the ground unless he is able to break a long one. The Steelers need to get Parker in space against the NE LB'ers. NE LB's are slow and old. Parker is way to fast for them in space.

5) Pittsburgh receiver's vs. NE Secondary: Hines Ward is the perfect receiver against NE. He is tough and great at finding holes in the underneath zones. I expect him to have a big day in terms of castches, but maybe not yards. Holmes is a very good at getting open deep. He has the speed, but more importantly, he runs good deeop routes in which he is able to create space by causing hesitation on the DB. Unfortunatley, he is only average at catching the deep ball. If Ben has time, he could get a big play.

6) Steeler's vs. NE pass rush: IMO, this is a major key to the game. The Steelers have done a decent job of getting a hat on a hat in pass protection. They have lost some one on one battles though. I don't think NE has the kind of outside pass rush to cause Pittsburgh great problems. They may be able to generate pressure up the middle though. If they gameplan to keep Ben between the tackles, they may have some success. If the pressure comes up the middle but Ben is not contained, I expect Pittsburgh to have prenty of success in the air.

I could go on more, but my fingers are tired...

Good post, and good points. Some comment below:

Here is how I see some of the matchups working Sunday:

2) Pittsburgh Outside pass rush vs. NE Tacles: Matt Light struggles with the outside rush when defenders get under his pads. This will be a huge advantage for Pittsburgh unless Light gets help or a chip on James Harrison. Harrison's strength is his leverage and low pads. He is only 6'0" and he uses this to his advantage. He is incredibly strong. If left on an island, I see Harrison beating Light a couple times. On the other side, Haggans is average. He may get some pressure, but he will be handled most of the day.
Light and Kaczur must have their heads on a swivel. Pittsburgh has speed, technique, and the game plan. That being said, despite the onslaught they've faced this season, the Pats have protected Brady very well. If that continues, watch out.

3) NE running game vs. Pittsburgh D line: NE stands no chance of lining up and running on us, but I'm sure they will not try. If Casey Hampton is in the game, the middle will remain clogged, and NE will not be able to run. However, I anticipate LeBeau focusing on the pass. I think he will be willing to give up the occational 10 yard run in order to slow the passing game. In this respect, look for Pittsburgh to be vulnerable against the run when we are lined up with no NT.
I don't expect NE to run into the middle of Pittsburgh's line very often, but they'll do it to keep the D honest and to set up the play action. Look for NE to run some misdirections, flares, and screens if Pittsburgh commits early, as it's the only way to counteract Pittsburgh's defensive speed.

4) Pittsburgh running game vs. NE run defense: Pittsburgh's running game is no where near as good as people think. Our line is pretty good at getting to the second level, but none of our interior 3 is strong enough to generate movement up front. NE's D Line is better than many we have faced, and I do not anticipate Parker getting more than about 80 yards on the ground unless he is able to break a long one. The Steelers need to get Parker in space against the NE LB'ers. NE LB's are slow and old. Parker is way to fast for them in space.
My guess is that NE will focus on shutting down the run to make Roethlisberger pass. This is something they've done with success in the past, but they better stay with Ward and Holmes and watch for Parker out of the backfield. I expect to see a lot of that.

6) Steeler's vs. NE pass rush: IMO, this is a major key to the game. The Steelers have done a decent job of getting a hat on a hat in pass protection. They have lost some one on one battles though. I don't think NE has the kind of outside pass rush to cause Pittsburgh great problems. They may be able to generate pressure up the middle though. If they gameplan to keep Ben between the tackles, they may have some success. If the pressure comes up the middle but Ben is not contained, I expect Pittsburgh to have prenty of success in the air.
Agreed, but don't downplay NE's outside pass rush, they can fool you when you least expect it, and if they hurry Roethlisberger, it plays very well in their favor for potential turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe