PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deadline to use the franchise tag is 4 PM Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll all see. My personal opinion is that there is a gentleman's agreement between the patriots and Moss, and that he will stay.

You can all decide that Moss is an idiot to want to play elsewhere. Somehow, I think being on Green Bay Super Bowl team right about now might have felt OK to him.

Given that Green Bay didn't make the Super Bowl and there were all kinds of conditions being applied for him by the Packers, and given that he played for a 16-0 team that did make the Super Bowl, I'm confident that you're wrong.

Last edited:
get moss a long term deal, and use the tag on someone else, someone on D

Haha, if you really think they can get a long-term deal worked out in the last few hours and then think of someone else worth tagging, then I'd be very amused.

Moss is the only one they'd tag, and I'm curious as to why they've waited so long, but I can't see them letting him go.

Haha, if you really think they can get a long-term deal worked out in the last few hours and then think of someone else worth tagging, then I'd be very amused.

Moss is the only one they'd tag, and I'm curious as to why they've waited so long, but I can't see them letting him go.

How do you know they haven't already worked out a long term deal/

After all, they are prohibited from inking such a deal anyway for a couple weeks because of the rule against redoing a player's contract more than twice in one year's span of time.

How do you know they haven't already worked out a long term deal/

After all, they are prohibited from inking such a deal anyway for a couple weeks because of the rule against redoing a player's contract more than twice in one year's span of time.

Maybe they have, I don't know. But if you noticed, I said "blah blah blah long-term deal AND think of someone else to tag..." I'm waiting to hear what other UFA deserves top 5 money. Like another poster said, Randall Gay, perhaps?

And if a long-term deal can't be inked for a couple of weeks, what's going to prevent him from entertaining offers in 8 days when FA rolls around?

Re: Deadline to use the franchise tag is 4pm tomorrow

I have a feeling there is a real chance Randy could walk.

I think BB/Pioli are NOT going to franchise tag him.
I suspect that they may have had an agreement that they would not apply the tag to further motivate him to produce this year.

If he is not tagged...some team flush with cash will absolutely blow him away with a huge signing bonus. It is supply and demand. Moss is a difference maker and other teams saw what he did for Brady and the PATS offense.

If he does not reach agreement with the Patriots befor tomorrow and he is not franchised...he will get an offer too good to turn down from another team and he will walk.

The team that scares me is the Jags. If we dont tag Moss, they have over $30 million in cap space....and need receivers. Theyre already a great team, and that would put them up at the elite level.

Maybe they have, I don't know. But if you noticed, I said "blah blah blah long-term deal AND think of someone else to tag..." I'm waiting to hear what other UFA deserves top 5 money. Like another poster said, Randall Gay, perhaps?

I assume you're being sarcastic. :)

Re: Deadline to use the franchise tag is 4pm tomorrow

The team that scares me is the Jags. If we dont tag Moss, they have over $30 million in cap space....and need receivers. Theyre already a great team, and that would put them up at the elite level.

Definetely, if Jacksonville is smart they would be all over Moss if he hits free-agency, he'd put them over the top imo. A QB like Gerard could put up big numbers with a guy like Moss because he's accurate, but just as important, he's mobile which is key to buy time for the deep passes. Culpepper would get a lot of bombs on scramble plays.

I do believe that there is a gentlemen's agreement between the Pats and Moss, and I do think Randy will end his career in NE. However, I will say if Moss does walk...I dont know if I'd ever recover. I THOUGHT I wouldnt recover when we traded Deion, but I KNOW I wouldnt recover from losing Moss. Because of all the positives this year with the incredible season, and all the negatives...spyfake issues, the superbowl loss...I just couldnt handle it. Just couldnt deal. I'd have to have to start heavy medication and therapy. So heres to Moss retiring as a NEP! :)

I do believe that there is a gentlemen's agreement between the Pats and Moss, and I do think Randy will end his career in NE. However, I will say if Moss does walk...I dont know if I'd ever recover. I THOUGHT I wouldnt recover when we traded Deion, but I KNOW I wouldnt recover from losing Moss. Because of all the positives this year with the incredible season, and all the negatives...spyfake issues, the superbowl loss...I just couldnt handle it. Just couldnt deal. I'd have to have to start heavy medication and therapy. So heres to Moss retiring as a NEP! :)

I have loved watching Moss....It is amazing that in the matter of 7 years we have won titles and seen the Best single season From a QB, WR, and RB in this teams history. Moss and Brady last year and Corey on 04.

Butt all will not end if Moss does not return...we only got one Great year out of Corey. Brady will still be here and With welker I imangine anyone else we team him up with will still be better then Caldwell and Co.

Hamlin just got tagged by the Cowboys

Yeah..its still probably 70-30 that Moss gets tagged within the next 70 minutes.

Anyone else nervous? We're down to about an hour left.

Anyone else nervous? We're down to about an hour left.

Nah, because I honestly don't see any possible way that Moss won't be back this season. I just don't think it is feasable for the Patriots let him walk.

I'm a little nervous but knowing the Pats they always seem to wait till the last possible minute with stuff like this. If they don't franchise him part of me thinks they have an agreement in place, know that Moss has no desire to go anywhere else no matter how outrageous the money, and don't feel the need to slap him with the tag.

Or Marty Booker could be our #1 WR next year... :eek:

Florio makes an interesting assumption:

"If the Pats don't use the tag, it's safe to assume that there is a verbal deal in place, and that Moss has promised to make it official at midnight sharp on February 29. If the tag is applied, then there's likely no deal in place -- and Randy's specific makeup could make it harder for a deal to ever get done."

So either way still causes some nervousness, at least until Feb. 29th.

Florio makes an interesting assumption:

"If the Pats don't use the tag, it's safe to assume that there is a verbal deal in place, and that Moss has promised to make it official at midnight sharp on February 29. If the tag is applied, then there's likely no deal in place -- and Randy's specific makeup could make it harder for a deal to ever get done."

So either way still causes some nervousness, at least until Feb. 29th.

I think the key word is assumption.

One could also assume they are far apart on his value and the Pats don't feel he is worth the franchise number.

There is no real basis for either assumption but speculation.

Franchise Tag is bad news for Moss. He would be foolish not to hit the open market NOW. He is coming off a MONSTER year, unlikely to ever be repeated.

To accept a Franchise tag will mean he will hit the market next year another year older, and likely with much lower numbers. MUCH LESS negotiating leverage.

I'm his agent, I am telling the Pats if they Franchise, Moss holds out, and telling Moss to hit the open market...Jags will overpay for him, fo sho.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back