PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

D'Brickashaw Ferguson retiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry in advance if this has already been mentioned (I jumped straight to page 5), but the one downside
I see in Brick's retirement is that now the Jesters are also in the Left Tackle market, and will have two opportunities to draft one before we have an opportunity to do so.

They'll eff it up...it's what they do

I see the Rats going after Solder at the end of the year

10 years
never on an injury list
missed one snap (a crazy last play of game play, where Revis played instead of him).
========

I would bet he returns to the JEST sooner rather than later. A year is a long wait if you really want to play football........

These are just ripple effects of the Revis contract, working through Fitz and Wilkerson and now Ferguson. :)

Here's to Schadenfreude!

These are just ripple effects of the Revis contract, working through Fitz and Wilkerson and now Ferguson. :)

Here's to Schadenfreude!

This isn't about Revis' deal. Any team can take a Revis deal. People here really need to stop with the idea that one sub-QB level contract kills a team's ability to pay its players.

This isn't about Revis' deal. Any team can take a Revis deal. People here really need to stop with the idea that one sub-QB level contract kills a team's ability to pay its players.
Revis' cap hit this season is $17 million on a five-year $70 million contract. Isn't that as big as or bigger than most franchise-level QB contracts?

Revis' cap hit this season is $17 million on a five-year $70 million contract. Isn't that as big as or bigger than most franchise-level QB contracts?

Twenty NFL quarterbacks are under contract for an average of at least $16 million a year.

Broncos' Brock Osweiler becomes biggest QB name in NFL free agency

Revis' deal isn't why the Jets have cap issues.

Wilkerson is getting $15,701,000 to play for them this year, and it's all on the cap.
Ferguson would have counted as $14,107,000 against the cap
Marshall counts for $9.5m
Mangold counts for $8.16m
Decker counts for $8m
Skrines counts for $7.75m
Harris counts for $7.5m

The above list doesn't even include a legit starting QB

Compare that the to Patriots, who currently have just 4 players (Brady, Solder, McCourty, Hightower) counting for $7m+ against the cap, and currently have no problem with Brady's deal.

Last edited:

With a salary cap it's a simple case of accounting. 150 mil minus 9 mil is 6 mil better than 150 mil minus 15 mil.

OK, that illustrates my point. Revis is getting franchise-level QB money and is grossly overpaid to the point of hurting his team.

Your point is patently wrong, as I just demonstrated. Revis' contract has remaining hits of

$17m
$15.3m
$10.9m
$10.9m

and the 5 year deal he signed averaged just a shade over $14m.

Darrelle Revis signed a 5 year, $70,121,060 contract with the New York Jets, including $39,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $14,024,212. In 2016, Revis will earn a base salary of $17,000,000. Revis has a cap hit of $17,000,000 while his dead money value is $23,000,000.

Darrelle Revis

Last edited:
image.JPG

Why wait until the end of the year?

They should start talking to him now.

There is no downside to the Rats for tampering.

If they tamper again I think Goody will really throw down the hammer this time.

It might cost them not just $150k but a 7th rounder in 2023.

If they tamper again I think Goody will really throw down the hammer this time.

It might cost them not just $150k but a 7th rounder in 2023.

No, they will be rewarded with extra draft picks for "brain trust" creativity.

Your point is patently wrong, as I just demonstrated. Revis' contract has remaining hits of

$17m
$15.3m
$10.9m
$10.9m

and the 5 year deal he signed averaged just a shade over $14m.

Darrelle Revis
Oh come on Deus! We're talking about a cap hit of $17 million THIS YEAR and what that means to the team signing other important players THIS YEAR, including a quarterback. There's nothing "patently wrong" in my pointing out that the Jets are paying a cornerback with declining skills franchise QB money THIS YEAR.

Oh come on Deus! We're talking about a cap hit of $17 million THIS YEAR and what that means to the team signing other important players THIS YEAR, including a quarterback. There's nothing "patently wrong" in my pointing out that the Jets are paying a cornerback with declining skills franchise QB money THIS YEAR.

Yes, there is something patently wrong with your argument. I showed it in plain terms. Your argument doesn't hold water. It would be more accurate to blame the Wilkerson franchise tag than it is to blame the Revis deal (regular deal rather than franchise tag could have produced lower cap hit), just as it would be more accurate to blame what would have been a $14m hit for Ferguson ($2.5m base salary increase over last year on a long-term extension that was running down, yet no LT was ready to put in place behind him) than it is to blame the Revis deal, but even those arguments don't hold water on their own.

Last edited:
Dues is not wrong in that every team can afford one "franchise player" caliber deal. Ideally that goes to having a top 10 caliber QB but even the 6-10th best QB's are not worth that and with 32 teams there are not enough great ones to go around. So there will be franchises that pay that kind of money to other positions. There are none QB's worth that kind of money and in a vacuum Revis in his prime is one of those players. The green beans are in trouble from all the OTHER subpar contracts they have on the books and d'brikashaw was just one of them. Love mangold and once upon a time he was the best center in football. Now? Hell no am I paying him 8 mil a year. Decker and Marshall are good but best in the league is what you better be getting for nearly 18 million. Wilkerson is a fine young talent on the rise but there is another "franchise player" deal at 15 mil. In a vacuum the Revis deal is not what is killing the jets which I believe was dues' point. It certainly doesn't help but it is the comedy of errors that is New Jersey Sewage that has landed them in their current position of the least cap money in the league plus no starting caliber QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes