PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeremy Fowler said the Patriots won't try to resign Onwenu

It's $52.5 guaranteed after 3 years. That is simply a guarantee and it's after 2025 that he can be cut with a dead cap hit of $10m. Look again.

As for your own link, read it again: it's one game where he made a lot of mistakes. When you say "end the season" you were referring to marginal play in one game? How about the fact that Barmore and Keion White destroyed him in our game?

Sorry, since you got the year wrong and our talking up his play in one game, when the Broncos line broke down and he made several mistakes, I'm not taking your word as gospel.
Yes, year 3 becomes guaranteed shortly into the 2024 season. And the dead cap hit is after the 2024 season. You need to reread it. It shows a pre-June cut in June results in a 10 million dead cap hit. That’s before the 2025 season. Yes, reerad the article, he graded out at 93% which the author calls a great grade. And, the conclusion, of the article is:

“But as time has gone on, McGlinchey has developed into the right tackle that the Broncos need. He might not be living up to his contract yet, but he may end up being the best right tackle they’ve had in a decade.”

But go with your mantra that no tackle signings were and good and BB was smart to go with Rieff and Anderson.

Yes, year 3 becomes guaranteed shortly into the 2024 season. And the dead cap hit is after the 2024 season. You need to reread it. It shows a pre-June cut in June results in a 10 million dead cap hit. That’s before the 2025 season. Yes, reerad the article, he graded out at 93% which the author calls a great grade. And, the conclusion, of the article is:

“But as time has gone on, McGlinchey has developed into the right tackle that the Broncos need. He might not be living up to his contract yet, but he may end up being the best right tackle they’ve had in a decade.”

But go with your mantra that no tackle signings were and good and BB was smart to go with Rieff and Anderson.
You're basing this on a Broncos site article which highlights the mistakes he was making, not to mention the way he cratered against the Patriots. This whole signing was not a good one no matter what you say. If Belichick had made it, he wouldn't have been ripped. Deservingly.

You're basing this on a Broncos site article which highlights the mistakes he was making, not to mention the way he cratered against the Patriots. This whole signing was not a good one no matter what you say. If Belichick had made it, he wouldn't have been ripped. Deservingly.
The article points out he made a couple mistakes, but overall played a very good game. It pointed out he was very good in the run game, and had some dominating pass blocks. McGlinchy was very good for the 49ers, he probably gets better with time in a new system. I would very much prefer him to what the Pats presently have signed at R tackle which is exactly what?

The article points out he made a couple mistakes, but overall played a very good game. It pointed out he was very good in the run game, and had some dominating pass blocks. McGlinchy was very good for the 49ers, he probably gets better with time in a new system. I would very much prefer him to what the Pats presently have signed at R tackle which is exactly what?
Our RT appears to be someone who hung around with our LT too much and appears to have grown an ego as a result. Oh well, so long Trent & Mike…

The issue with the tag aside from the 21.7M is that it goes 100% against the cap. Look at Thuney, tagged in '20 and walked in '21.

I don't believe the report that Pats won't pursue him. Mayo/GM need to try to negotiate something reasonable. If not, then let him walk, as much as I don't want that to happen.

Good point, I’m hoping they bring in a veteran QB to absorb the beating while the rookie spends a year learning the offense, so it is what it is.

Having Mayo named head coach will make it more likely to get and resign free agents imo. While there were veteran players who came to play under Belichick, e.g… Peppers, I think more stayed away because of him.

Mayo isn't complaining. We need to keep in mind the situation the roster was in when it was handed to him, and realize it'll take multiple years to turn this mess around. The posters that wanted to run it back with Bill, saying he could turn it around this upcoming season were always delusional.
Mayo may not be complaining. Or he may have been complaining for years....I don't know. People here are. I am pretty sure that BB would have had a better chance at an immediate turnaround than Mayo though since his plans may have already taken root in his mind. Mayo is trying to staff a team with new guys who may be given some input. He can't possibly be ready or expected to have a quick turnaround.

1). Patriots have no idea who is making these decisions yet. How can there be any source when there is no GM or OC?
2). The Patriots have the most available cap space in the league. If anyone can sign him it’s the Patriots.
3). He’s the Patriots highest priority free agent to retain.

More likely than not that he returns.

1). Patriots have no idea who is making these decisions yet. How can there be any source when there is no GM or OC?
Groh is still working. Under contract until the draft is over at the very least.

SOME THOUGHTS
1) We drafted a RG to replace Onwenu if necessary. Sow turned out to be a fine choice.
2) Onwenu is not worth $21M for one year as a transition to a rookie.
3) Onwenu probably isn't worth $20M AAV as a RT.
4) With $20M of cap money, we could sign 2 or 3 $15M - $20M AAV players.
5) This is a fine draft for OT's. We might very well expect our 3rd rounder to start at RT (perhaps after moving up).

BOTTOM LINE
It seems that the patriots have judged that Onwenu is a RG and not worth $20M a year as a RT. Perhaps they have changed their minds. I'm fine if the new team signs Onwenu to a long-term contract. I just don't see it as of now.

SOME THOUGHTS
1) We drafted a RG to replace Onwenu if necessary. Sow turned out to be a fine choice.
2) Onwenu is not worth $21M for one year as a transition to a rookie.
3) Onwenu probably isn't worth $20M AAV as a RT.
4) With $20M of cap money, we could sign 2 or 3 $15M - $20M AAV players.
5) This is a fine draft for OT's. We might very well expect our 3rd rounder to start at RT (perhaps after moving up).

BOTTOM LINE
It seems that the patriots have judged that Onwenu is a RG and not worth $20M a year as a RT. Perhaps they have changed their minds. I'm fine if the new team signs Onwenu to a long-term contract. I just don't see it as of now.
It's not to say that I feel Onwenu is worth $20 million.

But at some point, you have loads of cap space to utilize here. You can't be trying to discount your way into finding a productive OL. There may be some overpayments necessary in order to strengthen this group. Look at what going for discount options like Reiff/Lowe/mid round rookies got us last year.

Would be nice if the staff could find loads of gems at OL in the 3rd-5th rounds, but that more often than not doesn't work out.

My take on Onwenu is that as a RG he's an elite player worth top of the market money. As a RT, he is obviously the best we have but probably not worth top of the market money.

I think Sow showed enough that I'd pass on paying Onwenu top of the market money to play there. It'd be different if we had this type of cap space one of those years where we were still competing for SBs. Then, I'd say it's worth the splurge to keep a top performer for the all-important OL unit. But that's not where I see this team... we're multiple years way from really having a good core in place. I wouldn't want to re-sign Onwenu for RG at top money and render one of the few promising rookie scale guys we have (Sow) to the bench.

Now, considering how important OL is to QB development and our total lack of talent at OT if/when Trent Brown leaves, I think the team should consider re-signing Onewnu to play RT even if takes an overpay. Like others have said, we have loads of cap space and I can't emphasize enough that OL play is crucial to the development of other positions. Re-sign Onwenu and now RT is filled (more than) adequately and by someone you've seen in the system so you aren't relying on a rookie panning out or a FA signing transferring his game to a new team.

One overall comment I have on the OL is that it's crucial to bring in an offensive system and cater the OL players (and coaching) to the specific demands of that scheme. It seemed like Cole Strange, for example, was brought in to play the zone blocking scheme they wanted to run, but less of a fit in the gap blocking scheme they reverted back to. Sow from what I've read is better in the gap blocking scheme. It's not just about collecting talent - the talent needs to fit together within the scheme. Part of the solution on the OL might actually involve letting some of the decent pieces go if they don't fit the scheme we end up going with. Part of why I view this as a multi year project as I said above.

Groh is still working. Under contract until the draft is over at the very least.

There goes the 2024 draft then, unless Bill takes him wherever he's going...

It's not to say that I feel Onwenu is worth $20 million.

But at some point, you have loads of cap space to utilize here. You can't be trying to discount your way into finding a productive OL. There may be some overpayments necessary in order to strengthen this group. Look at what going for discount options like Reiff/Lowe/mid round rookies got us last year.

Would be nice if the staff could find loads of gems at OL in the 3rd-5th rounds, but that more often than not doesn't work out.
The draft has many quality OT's. Even if we draft a QB at 3, we would then use the next 2 picks to draft a LT and then a RT. And yes. I might use a later pick to move up a few spots in to the first so that we have 5 years from our LT.

Is Onwenu really worth $20M as a RT?

The draft has many quality OT's. Even if we draft a QB at 3, we would then use the next 2 picks to draft a LT and then a RT. And yes. I might use a later pick to move up a few spots in to the first so that we have 5 years from our LT.

Not that I totally disagree with your logic, but it's worth calling out that free agency decisions are made months before the draft. It's sound logic to say you're going to let Onwenu walk to replace him with a draft pick. But that means a draft pick that can't be used on a talented player (that we like more) at another position. Also, it's tough for me specifically plan on drafting a starting caliber player at a specific position in round 3 like you have here. Our 3rd rounder is #68 overall and OT is a premium position. You can't just assume that all of the guys we view as day 1 OT starters won't be snatched up in the top 67.

Also, $20M/year would put Onwenu at the top of the guard market (currently $19M/year). I think as a RG he is worth a top of the market contract. Our OL play has been absolutely terrible in recent years and I think it's important to have good play there to develop other offensive players. It's a big puzzle and it depends on what their draft board looks like, how they rank other FA OTs, what else they could get with the money being considered for Onwenu, etc. But in general, I'm in favor of bringing Onwenu back. Not sure he's a $20M/year player at RT but it's nice to have a good option there which he is. Ideally, I'd like to eventually move him back to RG but it'd be nice to not go into the draft absolutely needing a RT so our new QB isn't dead in the water.

Article here that was forecasting Cole Strange to kick inside to center at the NFL level. Let's do a little a multi year projection here...

Re-sign Onwenu to a $20M/year contract. Would be expensive for the player he is at RT, but it's a proper deal for the player he is at RG.

Splurge in free agency on Jonah Williams who can go back to the LT spot he played to start his career in CIN.

So now heading into the draft you have a starting OL of

LT Jonah Williams
LG Cole Strange
C David Andrews
RG Sidy Sow
RT Mike Onwenu

However, you can still use a high pick (probably #34 or moved up from there) to target a starting OT prospect. But now there isn't the immediate need to start right away.

You build with the idea that by the start of next year (maybe sooner depending on injuries) that your rookie will be ready to start at either tackle spot. Andrews seems like he'll be retired next year or allowed to walk since his deal is up. Transition Strange to C to replace him, move Sow over to the LG spot he started at in college, Onwneu goes back to RG where he can be an all pro caliber guy, Jonah Williams starts opposite the rookie on whatever side makes sense as a combo.

I would not tag him at 18mill plus, he is not a pro bowl type tackle IMO. Then what next year pay him 23 or he walks then? 5 and 75 with 25 SB and the first two years gur for 40 mill total gur shuld be the Max IMO. We are not a playoff team next year either, so the tax makes little sense to me.

If we aren't competing this year why don't we use it as a pure reset year. Draft qb. Go with a veteran for first 8 games to see how line performs and then move to the rookie QB. Draft the veteran such that his skillset matches or overlaps with that of rookie so that gameplan matches to the rookie qb strengths .

Carryover 30 million of cap to next year and use next year as the big signing year .

Be frugal like the packers and allow the younger ones to develop. If we get to a 8-9 season that's a big win if we have developed our young core and then use next year to sign marquee agents and plug the remaining gaps.

Since next year qb class is bad and we might not pick top 3 for few years let's probably Draft daniels at 3 and hope maye falls to 3 so that we have the option if drafting Maye.

Do not start the rookie for first 8 games. If we have the vet qb with 3-5 or better record continue with them for rest if season , unless the rookie shows immense poise and growth in practice and offensive line has solidified.

Kraft should give Mayo at least 3 years with the first year being a reset or wash. The only thing I am worried is that they cannot consider this a reset year due to the financial aspects . If you don't start rookie qb majority of seats will be empty.

It seemed like Cole Strange, for example, was brought in to play the zone blocking scheme they wanted to run, but less of a fit in the gap blocking scheme they reverted back to. Sow from what I've read is better in the gap blocking scheme. It's not just about collecting talent - the talent needs to fit together within the scheme.
Obvious winner. Not a jot or tittle wrong with this.

OL is tilted to gap scheme like Baltimore runs. But Strange—will his knee ever be the same?—is an obvious zone blocking superstar. Esp outside zone where his athleticism makes him able to outflank DL. But watching him take on Quinnen Williams a la John Hannah versus Randy White was almost painful. He won maybe half the time before his leg gave out.

He won maybe half the time before his leg gave out.

He injured leg because he stepped on Zappe's foot and twisted his leg. Not sure his leg gave out. Ankle and knee issues are common after twisting the leg from stepping on someone's foot.

Article here that was forecasting Cole Strange to kick inside to center at the NFL level. Let's do a little a multi year projection here...

Re-sign Onwenu to a $20M/year contract. Would be expensive for the player he is at RT, but it's a proper deal for the player he is at RG.

Splurge in free agency on Jonah Williams who can go back to the LT spot he played to start his career in CIN.

So now heading into the draft you have a starting OL of

LT Jonah Williams
LG Cole Strange
C David Andrews
RG Sidy Sow
RT Mike Onwenu

However, you can still use a high pick (probably #34 or moved up from there) to target a starting OT prospect. But now there isn't the immediate need to start right away.

You build with the idea that by the start of next year (maybe sooner depending on injuries) that your rookie will be ready to start at either tackle spot. Andrews seems like he'll be retired next year or allowed to walk since his deal is up. Transition Strange to C to replace him, move Sow over to the LG spot he started at in college, Onwneu goes back to RG where he can be an all pro caliber guy, Jonah Williams starts opposite the rookie on whatever side makes sense as a combo.
Jonah Williams absolutely stink no thanks.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back