PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeremy Fowler said the Patriots won't try to resign Onwenu

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I can't find the link on ESPN, I only got a screenshot from a tweet:

GEJQ09iXMAAwUw0

I guess it depends on how they view him: Tackle or Guard, and that will depend on who is running the offense. That said, if the new regime views him as a great guard but a middling tackle, but he's expected to get tackle money on the market, maybe that puts them off of him. Seems early for any decision like that to have been made already though.

sounds like some one trowing darts to see if any hit

I can’t believe they won’t franchise tag him if they can’t resign him. It’s going to be hard enough to replace the left tackle let alone both.
Precisely. The Patriots can't get into the mindset of shoring themselves up in some positions while weakening themselves in others. They can't get on that merry-go-round because it'll never end. There's no need to do it anyway with all the cap space.

sounds like some one trowing darts to see if any hit
That's what local media would do, but Fowler at ESPN has a better reputation that that. He got this from someone inside Foxboro now, but it's weird because they don't even have a GM yet.

On one hand, I think they should bring him back because otherwise RT and LT are both vacant.

On the other hand, he'll be very expensive whether it's a re-sign or a franchise tag, and he's not an elite RT in the first place. The draft has a good crop of tackles. And maybe they think with a full offseason, one of Lowe or Wheatley can become the new RT.

They shouldn’t let him go. The offensive line is a huge problem, don’t weaken it any further. They have the money to pay him.
They don't have a choice if he wants to leave.

It's really too bad if the report is true.

I generally don't agree paying o-lineman big money (except LT).

Young player who has performed above average at two important positions.

They need a good pass blocking line to protect the #3 overall pick.

Hope they can replace him

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
They don't have a choice if he wants to leave.
Franchise tag is $18m, transition is $16m.

This could be worth it for one year so you can avoid giving him the $60m guaranteed that McGlinchey got.

On one hand, I think they should bring him back because otherwise RT and LT are both vacant.

On the other hand, he'll be very expensive whether it's a re-sign or a franchise tag, and he's not an elite RT in the first place. The draft has a good crop of tackles. And maybe they think with a full offseason, one of Lowe or Wheatley can become the new RT.
I don't think this is the narrative they can stomach.

One of the critiques in the Wickersham article is that they didn't expend team resources on tackles, and that was coming from the sources inside Foxboro. How could they justify that if that's one of the critiques?

I don't think this is the narrative they can stomach.

One of the critiques in the Wickersham article is that they didn't expend team resources on tackles, and that was coming from the sources inside Foxboro. How could they justify that if that's one of the critiques?
"We're just doing what's best for the team"
"We're only talking about the good"

There's lots of ways. Not *good* ways, but lots of ways.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back