PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darrelle Revis Rumors and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say we sign Revis and Decker.

**** the free world.

#imjokingbutseriously

The Jets boards are already melting down at the possibility of Revis coming here. Some are doom and gloom. Some are saying the Pats are just desperate and won't get him anyway.
Well, they're right about us being desperate... let's just hope they're wrong about us not getting him.

NFL ‏@nfl 2m
7 potential landing spots for Darrelle Revis (via @NFL_ATL): Darrelle Revis' potential landing spots - NFL.com #NFLFreeAgency pic.twitter.com/0Fw4EBS9nc

BijZ4CkIUAA1V4R.jpg

The Seahawks could really use Revis. :confused: :bricks:

If you watched the 2013 season you would understand that the complementary TE and the complementary Safety were the biggest reasons there was no duckboat parade this year.

You're right, not having Owen Daniels and Donte Whitner was a bigger deal than not having Gronk and Talib when it mattered. what's gotten into you, man?

Well, they're right about us being desperate... let's just hope they're wrong about us not getting him.

The Pats aren't desperate. There are plenty of options at CB still left. And building a defense around a shutdown CB isn't the only way to build a top defense. Improve the front seven and pressure a QB is just or good or better. Adding a Jared Allen, Chris Clemons (both Chris Clemons is best), or Julius Peppers can significantly help the pass rush.

Yep. They snag a DT like Tuitt or a DE like Ealy with their first round pick then upgrade the 3-tech and SS position with a hitter with later picks and guys that can contribute immediately, and you're talking about a defense that can easily be top three, up there with San Fran and Seattle. You're talking about a style of defense the Pats haven't been able to run in at least eight years.

Ok, so going with Revis + mostly bottom feeders, how about something like this

Revis
Woodyard
Clemons (coverage safety, I know, but imagine the range of that secondary)
Tuitt
Niklas (or best TE on board in round 2)
Martin (or best C on board in round 3)
Edelman/Steve Smith
Blount or lesser RB

If that's most of the offseason thunder, and they keep Wilfork and Kelly, are you talking Super Bowl, or are you panicking about pass rush and WR depth?

Let's put the odds of THAT occurring this way:

Your boy Mankins will restructure his contract before Revis agrees to those type of numbers.

Go troll someone else. Your posts today are about as boring as they've ever been.

The Pats aren't desperate. There are plenty of options at CB still left.
There isn't a single free agent CB that's available (besides Revis, of course) that would not be a big step down from the guy we lost and went to Denver, our top rival in the conference.
And building a defense around a shutdown CB isn't the only way to build a top defense. Improve the front seven and pressure a QB is just or good or better. Adding a Jared Allen, Chris Clemons (both Chris Clemons is best), or Julius Peppers can significantly help the pass rush.
None of those guys are as talented at their positions as Revis is at his. But I don't see it as an either-or situation. They can get Revis and still pursue one of those others.

Revis
Woodyard
Tuitt
Edelman/Steve Smith
Blount or lesser RB

If that's most of the offseason thunder, and they keep Wilfork and Kelly, are you talking Super Bowl, or are you panicking about pass rush and WR depth?

I'm feeling like we can shut down Denver but I'm not sure we can score enough to hang with whomever comes out of the NFC and I'm worried about the pass rush. Would have to hope that Buchannon grew by leaps and bounds in the offseason to push Ninkovich.

In other news...

Nick Underhill @Nick_Underhill Albert Breer said on TV that the Patriots are working on a Wilfork extension.

They must be confident about his Achilles. Not sure I agree on the extension because, if they're wrong, they're locked in.

Breer clarifies...

Albert Breer ✔ @AlbertBreer Just to clarify what I said on NFL Network, meant that the Patriots and Wilfork have discussed an extension, not that anything is close.

Revis
Woodyard
Tuitt
Edelman/Steve Smith
Blount or lesser RB

You'd have the 3rd best offense in the league last season back together (with fingers crossed for Gronk/Amendola health) with a vastly improved defense, headlined by arguably the best defensive player in the NFL. The only thing it's missing is a rotational defensive end, but a fairly cheap guy like Shaughnessy or maybe even Peppers could take care of that. I'm not sure there's a 'favorite' to win in the NFL because of the randomness of the playoffs, but that team runs away with the division and is probably getting a bye.

I'm feeling like we can shut down Denver but I'm not sure we can score enough to hang with whomever comes out of the NFC and I'm worried about the pass rush. Would have to hope that Buchannon grew by leaps and bounds in the offseason to push Ninkovich.

In other news...

They must be confident about his Achilles. Not sure I agree on the extension because, if they're wrong, they're locked in.

Breer just tweeted that they have only discussed an extension with Vince. Not that they are close to one.

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 10m

Member of Darrelle Revis camp chimes in on if he thinks the cornerback will end up on Patriots. "It's going to happen" #nyj

Patriots nation would explode if the new 24 is in a Patriots uniform for opening day.:D

There isn't a single free agent CB that's available (besides Revis, of course) that would not be a big step down from the guy we lost and went to Denver, our top rival in the conference.
None of those guys are as talented at their positions as Revis is at his. But I don't see it as an either-or situation. They can get Revis and still pursue one of those others.

First, DRC is not a huge step down. He isn't as good as Talib when Talib is healthy, but when is Talib ever healthy? DRC can play at an elite level, but he is inconsistent in other ways.

Second, I never said that it was an either or situation. I am stating that the reason why the Pats are not desperate is because they could sign DRC and improve their pass rush with guys I mentioned and still be much on defense this upcoming season. My point was there are many ways to build a dominant defense. Look at the Jets. They build from the dline out. The Super Bowl era built it with a to set of LBs and a great safety.

Anybody looked at the bottom of the forum?